Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday around 5:00pm, we had a severe t-storm move in. I wouldn't be surprised to see it upgraded to a torndao today, as I noticed a "hook" forming on the weather channel radar just before we lost power. I'd like to share some random thoughts on what occurred:

1- The little red American Red Cross weather radio I had just purchased was about useless. They must broadcast on an AM channel because you could barely hear it, due to all the interference from lightning strikes in the area. Plus, they were just broadcasting generally useless info anyway, like current temps and wind speed from towns 30+ miles away. Also, and I've seen it here countless times...Know your equipment!!! I couldn't figure out how to turn the dang thing on...After about 20 minutes, finally figured out I wasn't pushing the power button hard enough! Plus, I had thrown out the instructions, with the mindset that how hard could it be to turn on a radio!

2- The lack of info was unnerving. No tv, no long distance cell, no internet. As an avid watcher of the Weather Channel when something weather-wise is going on, I felt particularly unnerved without it.

3- Yes you can light your modern gas stove with a match, but be sure to have the match ready as soon as you turn on the gas, otherwise, if you turn on the gas, then light a match, you get a big "poof", burning your hand!

4- I decided to take a ride to see what was going on in town, even though I knew better. Bad mistake. Debris everywhere, lucky I didn't puncture a tire. Then I got stuck in traffic on the highway, because of flooding and traffic lights being out.

5- Your white trash hard drinking neighbors will consider it "Party Time". Even people who don't normally get drunk were sitting on their porches doing shots. As the afternoon progressed, it was getting more boisterous by the hour. One neighbor got arrested and locked up for threatening someone in his household with a crossbow.

6- The Mister Softee ice cream truck will make it thru h*ll and high water! Which leads me to the number of people who had no food or any means of cooking it. Some people were buying ice cream to eat for dinner! That was a big topic of conversation, the fact that no one had any food. I think I blew my opsec because I threw one neighbor an MRE, and he threw it back, stating that they weren't gonna eat any military crap. Well, he can just go hungry if the SHTF.

7- The one good thing I did was check on my eldery neighbor. He usually walks up to the deli to eat, but since it was closed, I made extra spaghetti and shared it with him.

8- My garden is just about ruined...the wind blew all the corn over and tore up the tomatoe plants. Some of the corn i was able to prop back up...we'll see how it does. Other stalks were snapped in half.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
Good info. We had a flood a few years back and had no power. We live away from the city and thought the power outage was just in our area. We just stayed home and cooked on the gas grill on the porch. The next day we were shocked to find that the entire city was without power and massive flood damage & panik about food etc.
As far as the damage to your garden, this is something I have been thinking a lot about. We planted our garden in back of our garage on the north side to give it some protection from the wind but it is so windy here it is contantly blasted by wind. I have been thinking about building some type of solid fence on the east side of my garden as our winds normaly come from the south east. Hope your garden recovers.
good luck.

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
I decided to take a ride to see what was going on in town, even though I knew better. Bad mistake.
No offense, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves during a storm/disaster. Please don't do this unless it is extermely urgent to leave your home..I assisted several years ago for the hurricane relief for the four hurricanes that went through central Florida. It drove me nuts that I was was volunteering and working my butt off as people drove by, usually with a carload of people, gawking as if they have never seen people hard at work. I can't believe that people have nothing better to do then drive around and look at other peoples misfortune. The onlookers are also wasting fuel and make just buying gas, more of a nightmare. I also question whether they are just looking, or looking to steal..Just my two cents..

·
Registered
220 Posts
that was nice of you to check on your elderly neighbor.

It's amazing how some people go out even with dangerous weather. In high school I worked in a fast food restraunt in Nebraska. The tornado watch sirens were blaring and we were closing up the store to go next door to take cover in the bank vault.

We had to keep telling people on the drive-thru that we were closing and taking cover. We had to convince those people to go with us haha. Then on the way over, we brought people that were trying to get into the store to eat

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
No offense, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves during a storm/disaster. Please don't do this unless it is extermely urgent to leave your home..I assisted several years ago for the hurricane relief for the four hurricanes that went through central Florida. It drove me nuts that I was was volunteering and working my butt off as people drove by, usually with a carload of people, gawking as if they have never seen people hard at work. I can't believe that people have nothing better to do then drive around and look at other peoples misfortune. The onlookers are also wasting fuel and make just buying gas, more of a nightmare. I also question whether they are just looking, or looking to steal..Just my two cents..

Probably they were "just looking". Except for older people in their 80's and 90's, no one remembers what it was like to NOT have TV to provide constant entertainment. The aftermath of any disaster (including everyday highway auto accidents) is just one more form of visual "entertainment" for most people.

So, yeah, they slow down and gawk. And leave their homes (even though they probably know darned well they should stay inside) and drive around "just to see how bad it is". Few ever give a moment's thought to pitching in to help out. They are just passive spectators.

I've often wondered whether it isn't this passive spectator mindset (from so many years of watching TV and movies) that prevents so many from waking up and prepping to help themselves. Old habits are hard to break......

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I think it would be interesting to have a serious discussion about the radio. We are told to get these weather radios, but certainly radio is going to be spotty when there is atmospheric interference.

Another topic is the gas stove. (Assuming natural gas) Is it OK to use that without your blower running? Meaning, are the combustion products safe or dangerous to breathe?

And finally: entertainment. Without electronic media, we have to fall back on old fashioned things. If you have light you can play games or read a book. If you're in the dark then tell stories.

·
Ham Extra Class
3,267 Posts
I usually go out after a large disaster like a tornadoe or hurricane to see if I can help people. I don't just go out to sight see. I think that if you are able bodied and just sit back and not help others, its a sin. Just my .02

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Radio

I have an "emergency radio" with a hand crank to charge up its batteries. I also keep a package of unused new disposable batteries in its carrying case. It covers standard broadcast AM and FM and two shortwave bands (3.2 to 7.6 mhz and 9.2 to 22.0 mhz). It's a Grundig FR-200, but not made in Germany. (It's from a large eastern Communist country.)

Anyway, I just took it out and tested it to see if everything worked. Thank you OP!

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
1- The little red American Red Cross weather radio I had just purchased was about useless. They must broadcast on an AM channel because you could barely hear it, due to all the interference from lightning strikes in the area. Plus, they were just broadcasting generally useless info anyway, like current temps and wind speed from towns 30+ miles away. Also, and I've seen it here countless times...Know your equipment!!! I couldn't figure out how to turn the dang thing on...After about 20 minutes, finally figured out I wasn't pushing the power button hard enough! Plus, I had thrown out the instructions, with the mindset that how hard could it be to turn on a radio!
I am glad you posted this because I am going to purchase one soon. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is Eaton a good brand?

5- Your white trash hard drinking neighbors will consider it "Party Time". Even people who don't normally get drunk were sitting on their porches doing shots. As the afternoon progressed, it was getting more boisterous by the hour. One neighbor got arrested and locked up for threatening someone in his household with a crossbow.
Interesting, and I can see this happening in many neighborhoods, including mine. Something to think about I guess. Forewarned is forearmed or something like that.

6- The Mister Softee ice cream truck will make it thru h*ll and high water!
Whew! So all is not lost! :D:

Thanks for sharing the information, very much appreciated, and I hope your garden recovers. :)

·
Libertarian
2,794 Posts
Yesterday around 5:00pm, we had a severe t-storm move in. I wouldn't be surprised to see it upgraded to a torndao today, as I noticed a "hook" forming on the weather channel radar just before we lost power. I'd like to share some random thoughts on what occurred:

2- The lack of info was unnerving. No tv, no long distance cell, no internet. As an avid watcher of the Weather Channel when something weather-wise is going on, I felt particularly unnerved without it.

3- Yes you can light your modern gas stove with a match, but be sure to have the match ready as soon as you turn on the gas, otherwise, if you turn on the gas, then light a match, you get a big "poof", burning your hand!

4- I decided to take a ride to see what was going on in town, even though I knew better. Bad mistake. Debris everywhere, lucky I didn't puncture a tire. Then I got stuck in traffic on the highway, because of flooding and traffic lights being out.

6- The Mister Softee ice cream truck will make it thru h*ll and high water! Which leads me to the number of people who had no food or any means of cooking it. Some people were buying ice cream to eat for dinner! That was a big topic of conversation, the fact that no one had any food. I think I blew my opsec because I threw one neighbor an MRE, and he threw it back, stating that they weren't gonna eat any military crap. Well, he can just go hungry if the SHTF.

7- The one good thing I did was check on my eldery neighbor. He usually walks up to the deli to eat, but since it was closed, I made extra spaghetti and shared it with him.

8- My garden is just about ruined...the wind blew all the corn over and tore up the tomatoe plants. Some of the corn i was able to prop back up...we'll see how it does. Other stalks were snapped in half.
Hi Lady-
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have an emergency radio from C Crane Company. It's the CC Observer-AM FM 7 weather stations-works on batteries,dynamo,hand crank. Can be seen on C Crane website or Amazon I think. Take care and keep prepping!:)

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
We are a society overloaded with "communication". A lack of knowlege based on the ability to communicate drives people "batty" . Preppers need to prepare themselves to deal with, and adjust to a complete lack of "knowledge" of what is happening. (unless you have a "ham"radio or a good receiver, even this is no guarantee of information) Just saying take a minute to think how you will respond in a complete "news" blackout, no cell phone/landlind, no internet/ no TV/Radio. How many idiots will tell their families I'll walk into town and find out whats happening in the first day or two of it hitting the fan?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
sounds like quite a storm and experience. Amazing that people actually have no food in their homes. Even without prepping I'm good for weeks.

What were people doing for water?

·
That's "Ma'am" to you
2,854 Posts

Another topic is the gas stove. (Assuming natural gas) Is it OK to use that without your blower running? Meaning, are the combustion products safe or dangerous to breathe?

What blower? Do you mean exhaust fan? I grew up with a gas stove and we never had any type of blower or exhaust fan over the stove. My mother still doesn't have one and I only turn mine on if I'm baking on a hot day or cooking something really greasy.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Thanks so much for this post. Real experience is our best teacher, and sharing these with each other is more helpful than pages of what equipment to get, etc.

Shine up your halo for taking care of your elderly neighbor. The couple across the street from me, both in their 80s, have no idea I'm prepping for them, too.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,565 Posts
Another topic is the gas stove. (Assuming natural gas) Is it OK to use that without your blower
Burning natural gas does produce carbon monoxide. And being heavier than air, small children and pets are especially at risk.

But my mom who didn't know any better, often cooked without the vent in the winter. Even big meals where a turkey was roasting in the oven for hours, etc. Sometimes she'd even turn all the burners and oven on to knock the chill in the air while she had her morning coffee. None of us nor our dogs ever got sick from it, even in our small house.

So while it's not a recommended practice and can be dangerous. I don't think it produces a whole lot of carbon monoxide. Especially considering that without refrigeration for leftovers, most of us would not be cooking large meals. But I'd provide some ventilation. Crack a window here and there, just to be safe.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts