Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out on the river fishing friday, saturday and sunday. Sunday morning spent 30 minutes pulling up a trotline that the current had washed a tree trunk over. Good thing the line has a 330 pound breaking strength.

To get the trotline up, I wound the line around a boat seat pedestal, squatted down to the waters edge, pulled up, squatted down, pulled up,,,, until I had pulled up close to 100 feet of line. One guy that was in the boat had to get on the opposite side to keep the boat leveled out.

Yall dont think its E.Coli that is causing my knee to hurt? After all, I was exposed to untreated water during my outing.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Don't know about E.Coli....

Any storms coming in? Pressure changes in the atmosphere tend to make some of my older injuries ache.

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
Yall dont think its E.Coli that is causing my knee to hurt? After all, I was exposed to untreated water during my outing.
Prolly. Or giardia. Those pesky water borne diseases mutate quickly.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Your age is about where I was when I needed a knee scope to clean it up. Went for a long walk in the woods and when I hit the road back to the truck my knee ached. It never went away till the scope job. Check with a doctor, otherwise you favor it so much you risk damage to the other one.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Your skin is the perfect barrier. If you'd gotten a rash, then it's probably water borne bacteria. If it's internal, you probably just strained it pulling so hard. Take an Aleve, take a day off and give it some rest.

·
Full loose Bozo
1,242 Posts
If its swelling up put some ice on it and take a day off. If its still swollen tommorrow then you should go see a doctor cuz you might have fluid on it. I had my knee scoped last year and it felt better after that. But not before I had about 70cc fluid drained from it a couple months before.

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
its probably from squatting down and standing up over and over again and straining to pull up the line.

Reactions: Chey's Daddy

·
just me and mine
645 Posts
I think you just strained it Kev, if your not used to "rowing a boat" movements, they are hard on your knees. It would be a sign to me that your left knee is slightly weaker than your right,and you need to make sure you stretch before using it in ways you aren't used to.

keep it easy for a few days, and if it doesn't get better, go in to the doc, while we still can.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Hopefully just from strain. ..that was a lot of work.
I'm much older than you, so I can 'sore myself up' pretty easily. lol
I'd start with the usual treatments for strains/sprains. Take some anti-inflammatory stuff, give it some rest. It doesn't take much of a twist or a slip to cause some pain.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't think E. Coli could get in without broken skin...
Wouldn't likely be any E.Coli unless it's a popular swimmin' hole
or downstream from a sewer... or full of dead stuff.
Why would you have a trotline in a place you suspect of E.Coli?

·
goin' round and round
740 Posts
Most likely just overused the knee a bit. Cold pack first, then hot, a bit of Advil, and rest it a bit, elevated.
My left knee is way worn out, and it lets me know it every chance it gets.

·
I FEAR COWARDS MOST
6,153 Posts
Might be EBOLA, or TYPHOID, or AIDS, or Hepatitis, or worst of all.....STAPHYLOCOCCUS :taped:.....'prolly need to amputate. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Probably a knee strain. If the pain doesn't go away in a few days or it starts swelling, better visit your favorite orthopedic who specializes in knees. He will probably recommend PT and if that doesnt help, an MRI to determine if you have a torn meniscus. If you do, he will probably recommend an arthroscopy to "clean out" the knee and repair the tear. Six weeks of down time followed by 4-6 wks of more PT.

Hopefully, it is just a knee strain:)

·
Armed Border Collie
5,901 Posts
It could be that gnomes are kicking you in the knee once you fall asleep at night. If you don't have a rash, swelling or bumpy patches on the knee, you probably have nothing to worry about as far as viruses, bacteria or toxins. Or, you may just need to add some glucosamine and chondroitin to your supplements since time and use wears down the joints of the body.

But, I'm thinking that the gnomes are worth investigating...

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
well kev, what was/is it? getting better yet? are you dying or just aging with the rest of us?

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
I can't believe the questions that the newbs ask around here, LOL.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
My knees started bothering me in my late 30s early 40s .
1st time , I was carrying a window up a ladder . Felt like I strained one knee about the 3rd step . It didn't feel too bad so I kept working . Got up the next morning and the knee had swelled up like a ballon . Had to have it drained . About 8 years ago had arthriscopic surgery on both knees . The surgery wasn't bad but the recovery took a long time . For a while I was worried that , because of the pain , I'd never be able to enjoy hiking again .
The bad news - getting old - you progressively lose musscle mass and flexability . Old injuries that never bothered you before start to flair up . Wear and tear takes its toll .
The good news - with proper exersizes and stretching you can minimise or avoid injury . Also , keeping well hydrated helps keep your joints lubricated .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts