Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my current 'lady's arsenal'. I'm not going to be able to shoot much longer due to my eyesight so I'm thinking I need to change up my guns for something I can have good control of without eyes.

Now, I know it sounds silly to even consider shooting blind but I've never used sights and the scope is only there because it looks cool. I point and shoot with a steady arm and an excellent accuracy. I do have enough sight now though to see what I'm aiming AT which keeps my aim true. Within a year or so I won't be able to and will be shooting solely on my hearing. So I need something short enough to maintain a level shot but still have enough power (without the kick back and preferably a bit less noisy than the 30 30) to stop a bobcat or bear. Not necessarily KILL the bear, just knock it enough so I can be safe. Any suggestions?

Hi-point JCP 40 S&W
Western Field sb-712 30-30 with Weaver 1" 4x scope
12 gauge 28 inch Modified choke

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Ma, why do you need to change what you're shooting? If you already shoot what you got, you know the weapons so why change anything at all? Just practice loading, etc with your eyes closed. I dunno, maybe that's dumb.

·
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
6,767 Posts
load up with shot gun shells.. get a 18 inch barrel for the shotty you already have then understand you will be limited on range.

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
load up with shot gun shells.. get a 18 inch barrel for the shotty you already have then understand you will be limited on range.
^^^ second this! A shorter barrel for your shotgun will cost you under $100 and you are already familiar with it!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Ma, my father had some serious medical issues before he passed which forced him to rethink his considerable arsenal (lifelong shooter). He was a point shooter not unlike yourself. He put crimson trace grips on the handgun he carried in a holster riveted to his wheelchair, which mitigated his eyesight limitations to some degree. And he put a 6" long piece of 1/4" white medical tape on the top center of the barrel of a singleshot 12ga where the front sight would go. If the big line pointed at the target, he could hit it. He stopped using magazine fed weapons because if he dropped the mag (which is likely when you're operating by feel) he couldn't find it rapidly, or pick it up without assistance.

If you were seriously considering a different gun, I'd suggest a 16" barreled .357 magnum carbine. I know, I know, it's not got the oomph of the 12 ga. but I think there'll be some discomfort firing when you can't see very well, not physical but mental, especially if you've been shooting most of your life. Something smaller, easy to shoulder and point, but with enough oomph to knock a bobcat or 2 legged predator out, and let a bear know your there - and 10 rounds of good 357 ain't nothing to sneeze at. You could go .44 magnum, but they can be rough on the shoulder if you don't get a good shoulder fit. And the beauty of the lever is you don't have to see very well to load, chamber or clear, and there's nothing to drop or lose. Out to 150yds you're not giving much up on the 30-30 with a 357, and the .40 S&W was once touted as having "near 357" ballistics.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
This is my current 'lady's arsenal'. I'm not going to be able to shoot much longer due to my eyesight so I'm thinking I need to change up my guns for something I can have good control of without eyes.

Now, I know it sounds silly to even consider shooting blind but I've never used sights and the scope is only there because it looks cool. I point and shoot with a steady arm and an excellent accuracy. I do have enough sight now though to see what I'm aiming AT which keeps my aim true. Within a year or so I won't be able to and will be shooting solely on my hearing. So I need something short enough to maintain a level shot but still have enough power (without the kick back and preferably a bit less noisy than the 30 30) to stop a bobcat or bear. Not necessarily KILL the bear, just knock it enough so I can be safe. Any suggestions?

Hi-point JCP 40 S&W
Western Field sb-712 30-30 with Weaver 1" 4x scope
12 gauge 28 inch Modified choke

Nice guns. What caliber are the feet?
:D:

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's your experience with the Hi-point? I was thinking of getting one.
I love it. It's lightweight, quick to load, and hits true for point shooting. It's also got little or no kick to it. My husband shoots it and likes it also.
I've never hunted with it so I don't know what kind of damage it does to animals but it sure works a number on the trees :D:

Ma, my father had some serious medical issues before he passed which forced him to rethink his considerable arsenal (lifelong shooter). He was a point shooter not unlike yourself. He put crimson trace grips on the handgun he carried in a holster riveted to his wheelchair, which mitigated his eyesight limitations to some degree. And he put a 6" long piece of 1/4" white medical tape on the top center of the barrel of a singleshot 12ga where the front sight would go. If the big line pointed at the target, he could hit it. He stopped using magazine fed weapons because if he dropped the mag (which is likely when you're operating by feel) he couldn't find it rapidly, or pick it up without assistance.

If you were seriously considering a different gun, I'd suggest a 16" barreled .357 magnum carbine. I know, I know, it's not got the oomph of the 12 ga. but I think there'll be some discomfort firing when you can't see very well, not physical but mental, especially if you've been shooting most of your life. Something smaller, easy to shoulder and point, but with enough oomph to knock a bobcat or 2 legged predator out, and let a bear know your there - and 10 rounds of good 357 ain't nothing to sneeze at. You could go .44 magnum, but they can be rough on the shoulder if you don't get a good shoulder fit. And the beauty of the lever is you don't have to see very well to load, chamber or clear, and there's nothing to drop or lose. Out to 150yds you're not giving much up on the 30-30 with a 357, and the .40 S&W was once touted as having "near 357" ballistics.
I'm keeping the 40 because I like it and do reasonably well even with the patches with aim. I don't want anything with more kick back than my 30-30 (preferably less) because I need to hold my footing. Women like to think they're just as capable as a man but facts are facts....

That's a good idea shortening the barrel. 1 of my boys got his first hunting license this year so he needs a hunting gun. So we decided to pass one of mine down and get me something shorter with a better grip.

·
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
6,767 Posts
I love it. It's lightweight, quick to load, and hits true for point shooting. It's also got little or no kick to it. My husband shoots it and likes it also.
I've never hunted with it so I don't know what kind of damage it does to animals but it sure works a number on the trees :D:

I'm keeping the 40 because I like it and do reasonably well even with the patches with aim. I don't want anything with more kick back than my 30-30 (preferably less) because I need to hold my footing. Women like to think they're just as capable as a man but facts are facts....

That's a good idea shortening the barrel. 1 of my boys got his first hunting license this year so he needs a hunting gun. So we decided to pass one of mine down and get me something shorter with a better grip.

different grip?
I would get a knoxxs reduces recoil they claim by about 80% not sure about the reduction but it might be pricey. about 100.00 retail

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
A bubba solution for shotgun recoil is spray foam or epoxy and ball bearings. Moves the balance backward, but takes the bite out of the kick.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had heard that the knoxx stock isn't the greatest thing in the world and really changes the dynamic of the recoil. It's not as natural feeling as your regular stock. Maybe not the best idea for someone who has been shooting a regular shotgun for a long time.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm thinking maybe a ride out to the conservation club is in order. I've gotten some good ideas from here so I may be able to ask around down there if anyone's made some of those mods I can try out with their guns before I decide. I've got til October to decide. That'll give me a month to accomplish before my son needs one.

Thanks! I appreciate it. I don't much pay attention to all the current trends in firearms. So I'm pretty illiterate in all but the shooting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts