Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Outdoorsman
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pics of the knives I have picked up over the years.

For chopping and camp chores I have

Gerber Pack Axe
Ontario Survival Bushknife
Military Issue machete
Cold Steel SRK

For Hunting and skinning I use

Shrade Hunter
Opinel No.12
Shrade Old Timer folder
Coleman Western Skinner

I have carried the Gerber LMF for more than 15 years and through 3 combat tours. I picked up the Cold Steel Recon Tanto 3 years ago and took it to Iraq my last time.

I normally carry a small folder and my leatherman day to day. I let the potential task(s) ahead drive what tools I carry to use. The only one of these tools I always have with me is a small swiss army "Soldier" model. It goes where I go, period.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Good selection and having a SAK as your EDC is always good advice! Love your MOD knife; how has that been working for you?

Only recommendation is a good folding saw (Kershaw or Silky); makes life much easier when building shelters or cutting up smaller pieces for firewood.

ROCK6

·
Outdoorsman
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been looking at picking up two saws. A backpackers buck-saw, like the kind we used in scouts when I was a kid and a small foldable one. Thanks.

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Nice selection and all look like they are actually used. Another thumbs up on the MOD knife. Been wondering if those work as well as they look. Have you used it much?

·
Outdoorsman
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All my knives get used from time to time. I dressed out my two deer on Saturday with my schrade hunter with no issues. I haven't used the new Kukri Machete yet other than to cut some brush around the yard.

OK so I am a little slow here..what is the MOD knife you guys have asked me about?

·
Outdoorsman
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK so now the MOD coments make sense! Yes it is an awesome tool. I bought it in 1990 when I was a private in the infantry. It has been used to dig firepits, catholes etc. It also has been used to hammer in tent pegs, chop brush and split pelvis and sternum bones on a few deer and an elk. I carry it on my day pack whenever I am not packing an axe or hatchet. I think I only paid 30 dollars for it back then...

As for the Cold Steel spike, it fits a specific need. I comes in a KYDEX sheath with a neck chain. It comes from the factory with a really wicked tip. It is triangular so it presumably will cause wounds that are resistant to closing up on themselves like triangular bayonets of old. I did some light sharpening on mine and brought the slashing surface to a real nice edge. Truthfully, I bought it on a whim and I have never used it and hope never to have to. But if it ever comes down to it I feel certain it will live up to it's purpose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts