Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
V
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I treated myself to this one not long ago http://www.gurkhas-kukris.com/catalog/product.php?id=3631fecc3

It arrived with an ok edge, couple of passes over the steel and I was shaving my arms. I did the M40 sheath upgrade: http://www.m4040.com/Knifemaking/SheathMod.htm

I recently had chance to put it through its paces. The handle is small and the base of the handle needed sanding down as the spread/flare was uncomfortable in my large(ish) hands, also thinking of covering it with something to bulk it up a little bit, we'll see how it goes with the small changes Ive made after the next field run.

Really nice knife in all its not a BIG chopper but it can be an effective chopper. Although it says 8" blade it feels smaller than my MOD issue Survival knife, and because of the shape and design its alot lighter.

Although Ive owned a khukri before (it went walkies :xeye:) my old one was bigger and heavier and it was along time ago. Using the blade takes a little getting used to as opposed to a straight blade, same as sharpening but these are true work horses, and for the price I paid I'm really pleased despite the few modifications Ive had to make.:thumb:

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Any more Kukhris out there?

Hi Smudge, thanks for that info.

I have an M4040 khukri project in work also. I decided to fibreglass the wooden sheath after applying the Thompsons Waterproofing recommended by M4040. I have started putting the top edge on the tip as well. After re-shaping it, I wrapped the handle in about 6mtrs of outboard starter cord. I must ask AJ how to take good pics of knives, his always look gr8. AJ if youre reading, any tips?? :)

Here's some in=progress pics:

Pictures 037_001.jpg Pictures 040_001.jpg

Pictures 043_001.jpg Pictures 046_001.jpg

Pictures 049_001.jpg

·
V
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking good Herne look forward to seeing the finished job.
I'll add some piccies later, need DW to free some memory up for me on the camera before I can take any.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts