Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been thinking if what happened before during and after the storm-up to 3 years ago, to see if it would be helpful to see how we (I) thought, prepared and lived through the entire ordeal and if it would be of any help/use to y'all. It goes quite deeper that staying home for a few days and eating spam.:( I thought maybe to purge myself of the things we went through mentally and try to get Y'ALL prepared for SHTF. Sometimes it's not the incident, but the aftermath :eek:. I have a very good friend who flooded last month ffrom the Miss. When I asked him about it, he laughed and said "this 'aint crap. I'd do this every year not to go through what we went through".:eek:
So I'll bow to y'alls feelings on this. Think there is anything to learn? I do... Warning it will be pic heavy!!!!

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,956 Posts
Why don't you post some stuff and we'll tell you about its value? Your descriptions are too vague to give much inkling about what you might do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would be very interested in you telling us about this. When I lived in Florida I had transplants from N.O. and Miss as patients. I heard a lot of informative information, but I'd like to hear from a prepper's standpoint.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
You know I want to hear -- although I've heard a lot of Katrina stories and lived one of my own, my area wasn't anything like yours. Every story is different. And I'm interested in the aftermath. People around here are still afraid of bad weather, and may always be. I think a lot of us take hurricane season way more seriously than before.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Katrina is the reason my brother and I have become preppers. I just ordered another hitch mounted basket and accumulating more jerry cans because the gas lines back then were hours. When you came back in you had to haul your own gas, water and food with you. I felt like I was in a Mad Max movie. Have become weapons proficient since then as well, taking multiple training classes from Magpul Dynamics and Thunder Ranch as well as locally. It really showed me firsthand what happens when there is a crack in civalized society. We all need to be reminded. Tell your story!

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK bear with me. My mind is bad now from the stress of Katrina and it's been a while since Eng. 102. LOL

Fri. Aug. 26th, we were intently watching the storm. It looked like it might miss us. They always show a large "cone of doom " as I call it, stating that it could hit anywhere from W. Texas to Fla., so you don't know. You just keep marking the coordinates every few hours-even not sleeping at night to see if it's shifted one way or the other.
Anyway, this night was the Saints last home playoff game. As it turned out, my friend was stuck in horrible traffic and we missed our first game in decades. We decided to just get drunk at the local bar. The next day a group of 30 or so of us went tubing all day. You kinda try to put it out of your mind and we were hoping for good news at the parking lot. We didn't get that. I was pretty drunk from being in a tube for 8 hours and having another tube for beer. (Hey threaten me w/ a good time right??):D:
Sun. morning is around when they said to get the crap outta dodge. My friend came over to help board up the windows then we did his. We thought it could be bad, but hoped the levees would hold up to what the 'Corps said they were rated too:headshake:. We took our pictures, most of my art, a bunch of clothes, all the contents of the fridge and left around 1:00pm.
My then fiance's grandmother reserved a block of room in Laplace about 37 miles to the west. I don't remember why we were so close, last time (forgot which storm) we went all the way to Lake Charles a good 3/ 12 hours usually, but THAT took 17hours!!! I think the health of the older family members had something to do with it.
We took river road and airline and pretty much got around the bumper to bumper traffic after about 2 hours and 15 miles. During this time "When the Levee BReaks" came on the radio. I wanted to punch it.:mad: We arrived at the motel around 4:00 or so. It was pouring down rain. Turns out that area was under mandatory evacuation as well,:eek: but we were allowed to stay because her aunt was already checked in from the day before.:)
There was only about 40 civilians in total. The rest were power co. employees, Troopers and N. Guard. We got some stuff in our rooms and started to settle in. Soon the winds and downpours came. The wind was blowing the rain under the doors!! We were putting towels down to sop it up when my future mother-in-law cam in the room in a panic. The water came in so much upstairs the ceiling started to cave in on the grandparents. I took off and made her grandparents leave so I could get the stuff for them. I had several chunks of wet drywall hit me all over as I removed fragile heirlooms. I wasn't hurt or any thing, but it freaked everyone out pretty good!! The power went out and I ended up making the rounds to the office, restaurant to see who was around. :confused:
AS usual I struck up conversations and made new best friends LOL. :D::cool:Another fellow and myself spoke to the mgr. who had a lot on his hands and told him not to worry about the kitchen-we had food for all. :thumb:God knows how many steaks I had. I forget the names of those I spent time with, but my new pal was a fisherman from down by me in Chalmette (ST. Bernard Parish-just e. of N.O. and the "9th ward"). He brought his refrigerated truck filled w/ seafood. (I know y'all are gonna ask, but in this area, when you evac., you share and cook for all in the parking lots, drink up and have a fete' , all while the world burns around you-can't do nothin' about it anyway right?? :xeye::)). Any way he must've had 20 hampers of LA blue crabs and hundreds of lbs. of fresh shrimp. We had boil pots and did those suckers up in a breezeway while sharing beers with the civvies and Guard members.(I always carry 3 cases of beer in my BOV!!!):thumb: My mom had bags of rice, someone found a big old kettle, so she made up jambalaya for a few hundred people along with boiled crabs and shrimp bolstered by other fixins by the few families there-potato,corn,sausage,etc. It was a proper boil with everyone trying to have a good time forgetting the 100 mph winds and torrential rains falling. Then the power went out. We still drank and ate by lantern.;)
Brandy and I went to bed. IT was so hot I cracked the door to the room, placed our 200lb. Mastiff Franklin by it, with his gate against the door. I slept w/ mt .45 Ruger on the nightstand and went do-do. :sleep:

·
Registered
850 Posts
I was pretty drunk from being in a tube for 8 hours and having another tube for beer. (Hey threaten me w/ a good time right??):D::
Please excuse my ignorance but what do you mean another "tube for beer"?

So if you had to do over again what would you do different? Preplan and allow more time to evacuate? Do you still live in the same area or was your experience a reason to relocate?

·
Stop being on my side!
8,536 Posts
Do you still live in the same area or was your experience a reason to relocate?
True New Orleanians won't move, no matter what. You could nuke the city, and they'd just stay there and mutate.

Dey all crazy o'er dere.

;)

Poppaluv -- nice report so far. I know you've got some more to tell. I think people are going to learn about NO culture along with the survival stuff, and for that, I thank you.

·
Stop being on my side!
8,536 Posts
People around here are still afraid of bad weather, and may always be. I think a lot of us take hurricane season way more seriously than before.
Oh, Lord, yeah.

My sweety still gets a little spastic when we have high winds, let alone an actual hurricane watch.

Overall, it's good. People were careful for ten years or so after Camille, then got lazy, and we started seeing more deaths. The people who went through Katrina will take hurricanes seriously for a long, long time.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Please excuse my ignorance but what do you mean another "tube for beer"?

So if you had to do over again what would you do different? Preplan and allow more time to evacuate? Do you still live in the same area or was your experience a reason to relocate?
LOL! Some of us rent an additional inner tube for our ice chests.:cool: I still live in the same house. No reason to relocate. If this happens once every 40 years, I don't think I'll be better off anywhere else. I've had to defend that since the storm, but look what can happen across this great land of ours. Mother nature can be a bitch. Evacuation is actually up in the air. The Miss. river gulf outlet (MRGO) has been closed. It was allowed to erode from a hundred feet wide toover 1,000ft.!!! It has since been closed. The levees have been taken down and rebuilt to5-15 higher (actually built to a 3 ft. rise as predicted by 2057.) The N.O. metro area has the highest rate of people that DO NOT move away, or move only to miss it terribly and return:)

Do you remember the next day? Feel like tellin' us about it?

Yes, but that last post actually took some time. The later "entries" will be much more difficult emotionally.:(

True New Orleanians won't move, no matter what. You could nuke the city, and they'd just stay there and mutate.

Dey all crazy o'er dere.

;)

Poppaluv -- nice report so far. I know you've got some more to tell. I think people are going to learn about NO culture along with the survival stuff, and for that, I thank you.

HAHA! YOU got dat rite!!!!;) I would love to meet anyone from this board if y'all happen down here. We'll pass a good time! I've been allover this country and to 7 other countries. I can't believe y'all can live where and how y'all do!!! I guess ignorance is bliss!!!!LOL:D:

After reading this I want to move to NO! If you can party in a hurricane it's my kind of place.
Actually is is quite common to throw hurricane parties. I guess it'll be tropical storm parties. You gotta understand. We drink at funerals. We laugh at death. We have parades as a send off to the recently deceased. What do the French call it? Joi de vivre'(?) " a way of happiness in life", or fun in spite of bad times. What else ya gonna do. N.O. suffered wars, yellow fever epidemics, fires and reconstruction. It kinda has toughened us up. We know TSHHTF, but 'eh , no reason not to have a good time-right???:thumb:

Oh, Lord, yeah.

My sweety still gets a little spastic when we have high winds, let alone an actual hurricane watch.

Overall, it's good. People were careful for ten years or so after Camille, then got lazy, and we started seeing more deaths. The people who went through Katrina will take hurricanes seriously for a long, long time.
I think Camille hit Biloxi, glanced us. Betsy hit N.O. where I live there was no water then, of course the marsh hadn't eroded do to gas canals, subsidence, etc. I will probably not evacuate. I will get 4ft. at most. I would still be able to sit at my bar in my house. LOL Seriously the public servants will need help. One thing I regret was not being here to help rescue people. I have it in my head that some of my friends would have lived if I was around..:(

·
Registered
46 Posts
I thought I'd share about the patients stories that I heard. These are mostly just accounts that I can think of that planted the seed for me to start prepping.
I had a patient here in Alabama that had moved here for good from N.O. He was being treated for post traumatic stress disorder. He was one of the unfortunate ones who spent a good deal of time in the Superdome. He reached the Superdome after wading through water as he evacuated his home. He said he would never be the same.
Another couple I took care of in Florida told me that the man's brother had been in a nursing home. He was left in his bed to die, and he did. This man was also being treated for PTSD.
An elderly lady who lived in southern Mississippi lost her entire home, all the way down to the foundation. She had lived there all her life, and she was so lost.
There are so many sad stories. I think they further reinforce the drive I have to prep.
Also I treated patients who had gone to the affected areas to help clean up. Many of them got sick from the mold. Also people who waded in the filthy water got infected sores on their legs.
I don't know if these stories are helpful or not, but I wanted to share them. I only experienced the storm as tropical storm winds and then as a care provider to those affected.

·
Registered
850 Posts
LOL! Some of us rent an additional inner tube for our ice chests.:cool:
LMAO, now thats a good one.

HAHA! YOU got dat rite!!!!;) I would love to meet anyone from this board if y'all happen down here. We'll pass a good time! I've been allover this country and to 7 other countries. I can't believe y'all can live where and how y'all do!!! I guess ignorance is bliss!!!!LOL:D:
Sounds wonderful down your way. I love cagen food, music and accent. I might have to take you up on that one of these days.

One thing I regret was not being here to help rescue people. I have it in my head that some of my friends would have lived if I was around..:(
Sounds like you have a heavy burden on your heart. You can't save all of them, bad things happen and people die. As I said before, you can only do the best you can with what you have at the time. Its sounds like you had your hands full watching over the family and in my book that's right where I belong.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts