Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i decided to make a kit for my home and since im 13 i cant buy stuff so i have to "borrow" canned food from my pantry but i now only have 3 days worth of food for my family and just genaral items we might need this is ment to be used with my real survival kit so it doesnot have evrey thing but i have to hide it so my family dosent think im nuts i also stole 50rds of .22lr, and 12gauge from our ammo pile to put in it so ill have to add more food. any one have any good ideas on how to tell my parents that i need stuff for it without looking like a nut???, and should i take the ammo out???

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
tell them that fema suggest every1 have a 3 day supply of emergance supplies per person
http://www.fema.gov/plan/prepare/basickit.shtm

dont go overboard or they will freak out and make you give it up.i would be up front with them and show them the website and see if they will let you build one for each member of the family. then you might go a little more than just 3 days supply

do you live in the city or the country? maybe start by letting them know your interested going hunting and fishing and camping. maybe you can get a backpack to start filling it with camping gear(yard sales is a great place to get stuff for cheap ask your mom if she would like to go yard selling most woman love to go). sounds like your parents already have weapons do they go hunting / camping? start doing chores around the house to earn money to do it, dont steal from your family if your mom finds out your taking her food items it may make her mad and that will hurt your cause. but by them seeing your willing to work for your cause they SEE that your commited to your cause which brings more respect to you.(you just might be suprised) right now you can mow lawns for your parents as well as neighbors lawns.go around the neighbor hood (if it is safe ask mom 1st)ask if there is any work you can do. you might be suprise (if it is outside work use your head and do it in the early morning or in the evening when its cooler dont do to much work in this extrame heat) its a little hard to give real good advice since we dont know your parents. but i do know hidding it is NOT the route to go sooner or later mom is going to find it so its best to be up front let them know what your doing that way they may even give you a place to store it mom and dad isnt the enemy they love you they just want what is best for you but i would focus on the fema suggestions (and expand a little from there)

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well now i have a week of food

·
On my way.
317 Posts
Are you saying at 13 you are not allowed to go to the store and buy stuff???
Is it because your folks wont let you or is it some police thing?
Gunn

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no its because i have no money

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Yes, put the ammo back and do it yesterday.

As a parent I could probably accept and go along with my offspring, who's quickly coming of age, getting caught up in squirreling stuff away just in case things go bad (protecting family so to speak), but taking ammo without permission crosses the line big-time. Depending on where you live it could be illegal for someone under 18 to have unsupervised access to ammunition. Again, depending on where you live, your folks might wind up getting arrested for it. As mentioned before Mom or Dad catching you with their ammo, when they didn't specifically give it to you, might very well be the end of your preps for a long time. My daughter would have been grounded for life.

You can go to the American Red Cross website to get another "official" recommendation for putting together a 72 hour kit. Use that and the FEMA site to show your folks you're not "nuts", you're trying to be prudent and helpful.

Allan

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i took the ammo out last night

·
Registered
282 Posts
wow 13 its good to start early i started around 9 or 10 keep up the good work i can only agree if ur that age then the best thing to do is do what the guys before me said check out the red cross websites etc. etc. :)

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
You have "no money" and therefore have to "borrow" the canned goods, right? Does the borrowee (Mom) know the borrower (you) "borrowed" the stuff? If not, then she might look at it as unauthorized "theft" instead of "borrowed", 'cause when she goes looking for her can of tomatoes you squirrelled away, she can't find it AND then finds out it's in your BOB in the back of your closet, there might be hell to pay (and rightfully so)...

You would be better off to show your commitment to what you're doing by spending your Christmas money from Grandma or your Birthday money from Aunt Sarah or, heaven forbid, the money you earned by mowing a neighbor's lawn or washing his car (i.e. money you earned yourself). That you are willing to give up things for yourself in order to benefit the group shows maturity and responsibility. Using Mom's resources to finance your project does not.

Sorry for the sermon:taped::taped:

Allan

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no its hidden well and i take stuff that we rairly use

·
I travel light
2,026 Posts
well i decided to make a kit for my home and since im 13 i cant buy stuff so i have to "borrow" canned food from my pantry but i now only have 3 days worth of food for my family and just genaral items we might need this is ment to be used with my real survival kit so it doesnot have evrey thing but i have to hide it so my family dosent think im nuts i also stole 50rds of .22lr, and 12gauge from our ammo pile to put in it so ill have to add more food. any one have any good ideas on how to tell my parents that i need stuff for it without looking like a nut???, and should i take the ammo out???
Kid, if you have to "borrow" for prepping, then should think better about it. Don´t start to stock ammo and food like that, as if your cache is found by your folks you´ll be in trouble explaining it. Better talk to them, and do some smart questions and remarks (emphasis on the word smart) about the economic situation and alike. Then, you could suggest that it would be useful for the family to start some prepping plans. And that you´re a member of a great "disaster effect mitigation" website :D with great information. And so on. But secrets in the family is not good idea. Trust me, I know what I´m talking about. Your folks are the only qualified people legally whom you can talk freely. And they love you no matter what you do, believe it or not.
Good luck.
Greg.-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pug do you have any natural dasters that effect your area, if so you could use that to maybe convince your parents to allow you to stock pile 3 days, a week who knows remind them of Katrina and see if they will go for 2 weeks to a month.

When I was young I lived in Florida we had hurricanes, it had been 80 years since a hurricane had directly made land fall in my area, but the threat was still there, and thats how I got my mom to allow me to make a hurricane kit.
If you live in the north you could do a winter kit, south a Wild fire bug out kit for the car so you and your family can evacuate, west has eathquakes, you get what I am saying. No matter where you are there is going to be some sort of natural disater that you can perpare for.
Make sure you look up those sites that others have sugested and print them off.
If anything tell them its your partiotic duty to at least prepare for 3 days (lol it might work)

Best of luck to you, I am glad you put the ammo back. And try to talk to your parents, at least go to one. The one you know would not think your compleatly nuts or at least hear you out

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
pugsrock, I'm proud of you for doing something very thoughtfull for your family. My teens could take a lesson from you! When (if) you go shopping with Mom or Dad, walk right along side the cart and put a few extra things in for the panty. Not expensive stuff, just things like some canned goods- on sale items, etc.
oh, and DON'T TAKE AMMO!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good job on putting the ammo back I suggest you get involved in the Boy Scouts as you can learn a ton of stuff there and also read everything you can I was about your age when I got interested in prepping and I was able to buy whatever I wanted... as long as I paid for it.... Start doing odd jobs or mowing lawns or something and buy what you want.... Good luck, Rogue

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm 14, and I also prepare. I have a BOB, and a gallon Zip-lok bag with my own stuff in it, like some tea bags, and some granola bars, etc. But only stock up ammo if you have the permission. I have a .22 rifle in the back of my closet, but I also have my Mom's permission, and I can only take it out of the case under her supervision. But it's good to stock up on other gear. I wish other teens were more like us Pugs. Most families aren't even prepared for scenarios, and would be completely left in the dark if something happened. Something good to stock up on, and to buy with your own money, is batteries. I keep on average 20 D batteries for my Mag-Lite, which has the LED upgrade. Flashlights are very important. But keep up the good work! Always be prepared!!! :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts