Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
As long as you don't burn it and add the right amount of salt, it's just hard tough bread or crackers. I cooked a few for a shorter time and the kids eat them. I don't see what the fuss was about. It's just hard bread.
I was looking for was to flavor it or sweeten it but I haven't found recipes where anyone does it. I thought about adding spices maybe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I bite it, its rock hard. If I can bite a piece off it cracks off. It seems like it's as hard as it could be. One batch I burnt it, dark in the middle. If I'm making it wrong, how should it be? Unable to be biten?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've never tried making it, but if you want to know if it is completely dehydrated, pull one from the oven, seal it in a zip-lock bag and pop it in the fridge until it is good and cold. If condensation formed on the inside of the baggie, it came from the cracker.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
I've never tried making it, but if you want to know if it is completely dehydrated, pull one from the oven, seal it in a zip-lock bag and pop it in the fridge until it is good and cold. If condensation formed on the inside of the baggie, it came from the cracker.
Exactly.

They need to be cooked slow enough that every bit of moisture is gone.

If you aren't sure then pop them into the dehydrator next and keep on going.

Those wanting to compare what they make with the real thing can grab a can of these for comparison.

Amazon.com: 1 Can of Future Essentials Sailor Pilot Bread: Bread Knives: Kitchen & Dining

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No condensation. Tight like a tiger!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.