Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my eyes, my grandfather was my hero. He was not only my grandad, but also just my dad.

He stepped up to the plate, when no one else did. He backed me up through thick and thin. He was there to put me in my place in my unrealy teen years, he was there to lead me as a young adult. He's been there throughout my whole life, something which can't be said for my "real" dad.

My grandfather worked his butt off to support not only his wife, but me, my brother, my sister, my uncle and my mother. He not only worked several overtime hours a day, but he did so happily knowing it was helping us all.

He's the kind of guy, even though pushing his seventies, that would be out there, under his truck, taking of a fifty-pound front fender by himself, come in with a bloody forehead, take his asthma medicine, then go back out and continue the job til it got done.

He held high hopes for me, high expectations. And at times, I resented him for that. But boy, you sure do grow. I grew to understand why. Because he believed in me. He loved me.

He talked me through the birds and the bees, got me my first real motorcycle. He talked fondly of his fourty years in the USAF. He was a proud American.

My grandfather, died today. And I miss him more than anything.

Well Grandad, I love you. We'll see each other sooner then we think. :thumb:

Thanks for reading.

SOLIDUS

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Man I feel for you, I just lost mine 6 months ago.
I share similar memories as you. He was a proud WWII vet and a carpenter. He could build about anything from wood and lay a rock hard hand on your ass as required.
A stooped, slow moving old man but a giant in my book......

I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
my condolences.

he sounds like a man who will be remembered long after passing,
not by what he accumulated in life
but by his honor and
buy those he touched while here

Reactions: SIXPACK and test

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,303 Posts
My deepest sympathies.

I hope you take a little comfort in the fact that he will live on in everything you do.

Reactions: test

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Rest easy, paps, job well done...

·
Banned
52 Posts
Hi i am so sorry to learn of your Grandfather. But we feel a confidence he leaves some love behind and goes to love also.

In Taiwan we have many thanks to the American soldier that result to our freedom and democracy.

So from one soldier for another is my salute and respects.

·
Registered
491 Posts
SOLIDUS,

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.It sounds like you were really blessed to have had a man like your grandfather in your life.

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.

He sounds like he was an awesome man,
who gave the best parts of himself to those he loved...
that was a most wonderful gift from him,
a part of him will always be with you,
in your heart and memory's.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I was close to my grandpa too, and lost him last year. My best wishes to you, SOLIDUS. ...And welcome back.

Welcome back to you too, Min.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My grandfather filled the same role for me. My dad skipped out early and my grandfather was there to support my sister and I, as well his kids, and never once complained.

He's 86 this year, and every phone call from my grandmother makes my heart drop a little. I dread that phone call I know is coming.

You're a lucky guy, some people go their whole lives without meeting a true hero.

·
missed
11,240 Posts
I am terribly sorry for your loss Duncan, I will keep you and yours in my prayers. If you need anything you know where to find me :D:

·
Come quickly Lord
2,049 Posts
*hugs*

Prayers are going out for you and your family.

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Im really sorry for you loss Bro.

You know if you need to talk,you've got my number.

My heart and love goes out to you Brother.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Sorry to hear that Solidus, my grand is on his last legs at the mo' with lung cancer.
I'm leaving on monday to go spend a week with him, probably gonna be my last chance to see him.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts