Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pack this stuff in a fanny pack to go with my get home bag. I posted pics of my "G.H.B." in the "Preparedness General" section

Emergency sleeping bag
Pocket style arm sling

bag 1:
vinyl gloves
scissors
ace bandage
neosporin
flashlight/batteries
anti bacterial soap
waterproof first aid tape
35 mm film tube
Sharpie pen

bag 2:
Quick clot sponge
spf 30 sun block
OFF lotion
2-Instant Cold packs
4-packets Bio Freeze pain relieving gel
6 packets OFF wipes
40 chewable Imodium
36 childrens asprin (adults just take more)
disposable razor

bag 3:
salt packets
sugar packets
cough drops
Claritin allergy tabs
psudafed
water purification tabs
chlorella tabs

bag 4:
+- 30 ft Gorilla Tape
10 individual disposable antibacterial wipes
6"x5 yds sterile gauze x2
chap stick
2 oz. hand sanitizer
6x magnifier with tweezers
10 individual use Burn Stuff
1 oz. Iodine
4 individual use Krazy Glue
Foam bunion cushions (blisters)
.2 fl. oz. Benadryl Ready Mist
+- 20 Q-tips
various size band aids. 5-6 of each size.
matches
hemostats
nail clippers
visine

I think I need more pain meds like Advil, small amount pure water for immediate steryle wash for wounds, maybe another ACE bandage. I thought about sutures but figure until I can get some Wilderness First Aid training it might just cause more problems. Its ALL work in progress.

Any pros, cons, or questions are absolutely welcome. I post these to help others less experienced and so the more experienced can help me. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
Good stuff, I wouldn't carry that much, personally. For my hiking pack, my first aid kit is neosporin, duct tape, foot powder, and a quikclot sponge. I did use superglue for small cuts in the Army, works well.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I thought about sutures but figure until I can get some Wilderness First Aid training it might just cause more problems. Its ALL work in progress.

Any pros, cons, or questions are absolutely welcome. I post these to help others less experienced and so the more experienced can help me. Thanks.
Lots of good stuff in there. EMT's are not trained to stitch until Level II or III Paramedic. It's not hard anyway. Done it to myself before. Steri-strips work better.

Stop bleeding, clean out wound, apply disinfectant, close up a wound with Super Glue, apply steri-strips or tight bandages. Wrap it up good. Take some anti-biotics if you got em.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bactine is better than Betadyne to save nerve damage. Iodine works as well. You can mix it into a water bottle for a good wash solution.
Never knew about nerve damage from Betadyne. It's been the primary antiseptic in my aid kits. If you don't mind, sir, can you explain a bit more about it? How serious a consideration would the effect be if I were to select an antiseptic for my kit?

·
The Jed.
2,828 Posts
I have never heard of nerve damage from Iodine (Betadine), I've seen it used exclusively in hospitals and ERs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just thought of something. Maybe he meant that Bactine works better in reducing nerve damage than Betadine.

I probably missed something in the translation, English is not my mother tongue. American English anyway. :eek::

·
Put on the glasses!
237 Posts
What kind of gauze are you using? I use Kerlix in my GHB. I would suggest a pressure bandage such as an Israeli pressure bandage or an Olaes pressure bandage. Make sure you get one for entrance and exit wounds.

You might want a chest seal though that would probably depend on whether you had someone to take care of you or if you needed to use it on a family member or friend. Get training.

Oh, and one more thing, get training. Did I mention training? :thumb:

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
Training is a very good idea...

And get some Paper tape. Don't use that waterproof stuff directly on the skin as many people can suddenly develop an allergy where the skin lifts off with the tape.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Sorry, I went fishing again.

Betadine use is being rapidly reduced in favor of bactine in many hospitals, according to my PA, who is also a close friend and retired Army LTC. Also, steri-strips and super glue is being more commonly used to avoid scarring, infection and further nerve damage when you run the needle through the skin. Infected sutures are pretty common.

Betadine, when applied is pretty stingy. That painful feeling is your nerve endings being killed by the solution. It's quick and it subsides because it works fast. Although it washes out and clenses very well, it does some damage to your nerves. Hydrogen peroxide has much of the same effect.

Bactine is a little better on the flesh but it's not the infection killer that Betadyne is.

While I still carry Betadine because it works really well, I agree with the effects. I sewed myself up a few times, with sutures, steri-strips and bottled betadine and wipes. Usually on the hand and fingers.

I hit the web of my hand/thumb with a very sharp hatchet, washed it out with fresh water, had a hell of a time stopping the bleeding but eventually got it closed with Super glue, sutures and a steri-strip, when I couldn't get the needle through my skin. The Betadine I used got me pretty good as I lost most of the feeling on the top side of the thumb. The other times I have sewn up friends and co-workers worked out well but they, too reported some minor nerve damage.

Just something to keep in mind.

To me, a little nerve damage is the least of your problems if you have to break out the needle and thread.

·
The Jed.
2,828 Posts
Ak I have never had any stinging with Povidone-Iodine solution (Betadine's the brand name), however I have with alcohol and hydrogen peroxide I know those kill everything in the wound and that's why they are out of favor with medical professionals. Iodine has always been recommended to me any time I have had to clean my wounds and for post-op cleaning.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
What proportions would you use for that? How many drops of iodine for a liter/quart bottle of water?

TIA

A 1 oz shot in a 16 oz. water bottle seems to be plenty as a cleansing solution. I haven't got to treat a GSW yet but I have done some chainsaw, knife, hatchet, stick, rock, fish bite and hook punctures and they have all come out pretty good.

Given that they were all in hunting and fishing camps/lodges with lots of oppurtunites for infection, it does pretty well. Always have anti-biotics, though. I normally use Kefflix.

The worst I had was from a river anchor (square looking with a tooth that digs into the bottom) that puctured the leg of a guide when he crashed his boat. We patched him up and he was out working the next day.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
I made some suggested changes to your bag.

I pack this stuff in a fanny pack to go with my get home bag. I posted pics of my "G.H.B." in the "Preparedness General" section

Emergency sleeping bag
Pocket style arm sling

bag 1:
vinyl gloves
scissors-----------------------------------Ditch, the scissors on leatherman wave will work fine.
ace bandage
neosporin
flashlight/batteries-------------------------Headlamp?
anti bacterial soap-------------------------Probably not needed.
waterproof first aid tape
35 mm film tube----------------------------for wet fire tinder?
Sharpie pen--------------------------------replace with space pen or pencil and paper.

bag 2:
Quick clot sponge
spf 30 sun block
OFF lotion
2-Instant Cold packs
4-packets Bio Freeze pain relieving gel
6 packets OFF wipes
40 chewable Imodium-----------------------too much, split that between several packs.
36 childrens asprin (adults just take more)---thats a lot!
disposable razor----------------------------ditch, this is not a date, and small cuts attract bugs and are easily infected.

bag 3:
salt packets--------------------------------ditch
sugar packets------------------------------ditch
cough drops--------------------------------just a few.
Claritin allergy tabs
psudafed
water purification tabs
chlorella tabs

bag 4:
+- 30 ft Gorilla Tape
10 individual disposable antibacterial wipes
6"x5 yds sterile gauze x2
chap stick----------------------------------ditch, this is not a date.
2 oz. hand sanitizer
6x magnifier with SPLINTER tweezers
10 individual use Burn Stuff
1 oz. Iodine
4 individual use Krazy Glue
Foam bunion cushions (blisters)--------------swap for a strip of moleskin and cut to fit.
.2 fl. oz. Benadryl Ready Mist
+- 20 Q-tips--------------------------------ditch.
various size band aids. 5-6 of each size.
matches------------------------------------NATO matches?
hemostats----------------------------------for smoking pot?
nail clippers---------------------------------ditch, this is not a date.
visine----------------------------------for the red eye? You smoking pot again eh? Clean cool water will clean eyes.
I would add a Leatherman Wave, water containers that are allways full(2 qts. minimum but 4 is better), poncho(duct tape that emergency blanket inside the poncho when bedding down b/c those emergency blankets are very fragile). Some parachord, a hat with a wide brim and waterproofed, CASH so you can buy food/water or hail a taxi. Oh, a county map and compass, a fox 40 whistle to call for help if you are lost/injured. Some people like to put some food in the GHB, just keep it to a minimum like one handful of power bars or such. Small bottle of gold bond and a little toilet paper.

You have the perfect size bag, no need to get a bigger one. Multi-tool, whistle, and water belong on the ouside anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I read some use super glue to seal a wound. Has anyone found out where to get the real surgical glue? I've surfed and surfed but couldn't find. Got a small travel kit that contains IV starter, sutures and other hospital stuff for travelling and another little piece of kit for tooth repair, so I have that covered. Bought small tubes of super glue for my home first aid kit and BOB but would like to get the surgical stuff if it is available.

Thanks, I'm new.

Zeeman

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Zeeman: try http://www.chinookmed.com I think it's called durmabond. They have it. I just got a E-room doctor to get me a stapler. Chinook has them too. I'll ask him about dermabond.

OK Jeffrey, I like your notes. Thanks for the edits. Here's a brief explanation of why they're in there.

Scissors- I might not be the one using my kit. Unwed the kit to be "stand alone" I think. I only have a SOG tool, no scissors there.
Flashlight ---> headlight, I like it
Antibacterial soap- thought it'd be good for cleaning the skin.
35 mm tube- get something in your eye, fill with water, put over eye, lean back and blink in it. It's a great eye cleaner really.
Sharpie---> space pen, no ESP with space pen but I'll give it a try
40 imodium- if a bug (food or otherwise) hits a group I'm with I might need more than just for me. I could cut back a few tho.
Disp. Razor-- for shaving around a would not for getting laid.
Salt/sugar-- thought be good for dehydration
Cough drops--ok just a few
Chapstick---chapped lips aren't fun but Ill look into this one (start a thread)
Foam bunion things-- I like 'em. Moleskin doesn't keep the shoe or whatever from rubbing the spot it just makes it slide over it easier. I'll keep these
Matches-- not NATO but thanks. They will be!
Hemostats-- they just seem so "medically". Ok out they go. I'll check with my eroom doctor buddy to make sure I should ditch 'em. I'm not sewing anyone up.
Nailclips- ingrown toenail? Ok they might go too. (weight)
Visene-allergies? This kit might serve a group. Might be greatly appreciated for comfort. I'll reconsider.

Added: surgical stapler, staple remover.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts