Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just found this forum and thought you might be interested in the project I have been working on for the past year.

Basically I am attempting to learn to live as inexpensively as possible, with the ultimate goal of living off of $2 a day eventually. The first project was to build a geodesic dome wrapped in shrink wrap plastic and covered in papercrete for about $3000. I have been living in it since last Dec. and it is almost done.

Next I will be going through all of my recurring expenses and figuring out ways to get rid of them or minimize them as much as possible.

I am writing a blog about it here: http://minimalintentions.com
The stuff specific to the dome is here: http://www.minimalintentions.com/search/label/Geodesic Dome

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Interesting. Welcome to the site.

·
Indefatigable
21,542 Posts
Welcome, I applaud your ingenuity and wish you the best.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Hello all, just found this forum and thought you might be interested in the project I have been working on for the past year.

Basically I am attempting to learn to live as inexpensively as possible, with the ultimate goal of living off of $2 a day eventually. The first project was to build a geodesic dome wrapped in shrink wrap plastic and covered in papercrete for about $3000. I have been living in it since last Dec. and it is almost done.

Next I will be going through all of my recurring expenses and figuring out ways to get rid of them or minimize them as much as possible.

I am writing a blog about it here: http://minimalintentions.com
The stuff specific to the dome is here: http://www.minimalintentions.com/search/label/Geodesic Dome
Seems like you and I have very similar ideals/ambitions ;)

I am also shooting to make my house as cheap as possible to run etc, trying to lower my living costs.

Unfortunatly i have a small unit in town at the moment, leaving no land for a veggie garden, but I am still young and hope to have some land soon.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Great idea, excellent posting.

Mrs. Cool Hand wouldn't go for it though and would suggest a more appropriate domicile, for Mr. Cool Hand. Something more akin to a dog house I bet.

Looking forward to future posts, at least I can live vicariously through you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting...Bookmarked your blog as well..I enjoyed the posts about living in your truck..I've thought about doing the same thing :thumb:

·
Grand Poobah
389 Posts
Fascinating information concerning this experiment. Very glad to see you here sharing this with us. Welcome!:thumb:

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
NICE!!!!!!!! How high are the walls? The you topped with a Starplate dome... 2x4 or 4x2's? With a dome dont have to worry about snow/windload as much, it bounces right off...

Papercrete infill I'd suggest SBC- fiber reiforced side bonding cement- for exterior skin. Uber durable. Learned how wonderful- and hard to get- on my earthbag chicken coup. Its used as pool plaster, so its waterproof. Durable. Problem with geodesic domes has been water leakage at the joints I'd worry about water intrustion and mold in the PC.

I'm impressed amigo. With a shepherder woodstove, it would stay warm on little fuel. Look into LESPEDEZA- korean bush clover. It grows super fast, good wildlife (or guinea) forage, and nice tall hedgerows. Best part is you can recover firewood from it in a season. Chop wood with hedge trimmers and cures fast. Its hard to find, JL Hudson Seedsman has it. Rare seed guru.

Nice garden, too. You planting a fall/winter garden? Even if its just rye or vetch cover crop, till in, enrich the soil and prevent errosion

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks sachson.

It is a 19ft diameter dome with an extra 3ft at the base, so about 12ft in the middle. I have a trampoline 8 ft up for a sleeping platform.

For exterior waterproofing I used pure cement powder mixed with water as a paint. It still absorbs a little, but I want to experiment with evaporative cooling at some point so I did not want to seal it completely. On the inside I used drylok and have not had any leaks.

The skylight ("starplate" - did not know it had a name) is 2x6 frame with 1x6 crosspieces and plexiglass. Not totally satisfied with it, still looking for improvements. It is great in the winter, but too much heat in the summer... maybe if it were double pained.

The Lespedeza looks interesting... can you use it as primary firewood, or just kindling/firestarter? I am planning to install a small wood burning cast iron stove this winter. Then eventually a rocket-stove later.

The garden is now four times as big as in the pictures... it is being used by several different people now and so we installed automatic watering and built 6 more beds. We invested heavily in a fall garden, but I doubt we will get much return this year. Going to be building a green house (possibly a dome) for aquaponics etc... maybe this fall or next spring.

So much to learn... so little time.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Welcome to our forum! :)

Fascinating experiences and knowledge you have acquired in your travels, childhood, and building adventures. I think your experiments in electricity generation are outstanding, and could be very useful to us all some time down the road. Thank you for posting your site for our edification. I look forward to reading your posts here and further blog posts. Bookmarked.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What is your time constraint? SHTF?
Well... SHTF is always potentially there, it does not keep me up at night but I think of it as a useful thought exercise at the moment.

Mainly I am constrained by my laziness. I would rather sit in my hammock and read a good book (about zombies probably) with a nice cup of tea, than pound on the dirt with a pick to run a water line so I can have running water in my dome.

Mostly I just want everything done now... I probably have over 30 projects that I want to be done, but then comes the laziness.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Well... SHTF is always potentially there, it does not keep me up at night but I think of it as a useful thought exercise at the moment.

Mainly I am constrained by my laziness. I would rather sit in my hammock and read a good book (about zombies probably) with a nice cup of tea, than pound on the dirt with a pick to run a water line so I can have running water in my dome.

Mostly I just want everything done now... I probably have over 30 projects that I want to be done, but then comes the laziness.
I love people who tell the truth! So many of us are in this position and praying that time works out on our side. However, the more things stall, the less motivation we have it seems. But, a little done is better than nothing done. And one needs to keep one's sanity too - all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy! The trick is to keep moving forward and focussed, even if the speed of advancement slows occasionally.

·
Registered
10 Posts

lol! couldn't have said it better myself man! :cool:

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
It is a 19ft diameter dome with an extra 3ft at the base, so about 12ft in the middle. I have a trampoline 8 ft up for a sleeping platform.

For exterior waterproofing I used pure cement powder mixed with water as a paint. It still absorbs a little, but I want to experiment with evaporative cooling at some point so I did not want to seal it completely. On the inside I used drylok and have not had any leaks.

The skylight ("starplate" - did not know it had a name) is 2x6 frame with 1x6 crosspieces and plexiglass. Not totally satisfied with it, still looking for improvements. It is great in the winter, but too much heat in the summer... maybe if it were double pained.

The Lespedeza looks interesting... can you use it as primary firewood, or just kindling/firestarter? I am planning to install a small wood burning cast iron stove this winter. Then eventually a rocket-stove later.

The garden is now four times as big as in the pictures... it is being used by several different people now and so we installed automatic watering and built 6 more beds. We invested heavily in a fall garden, but I doubt we will get much return this year. Going to be building a green house (possibly a dome) for aquaponics etc... maybe this fall or next spring.

So much to learn... so little time.
You have 283.5 internal sq ft to live in. That is not a lot for the long term. So what is your long term outlook? Live there a few years then back to the city, wife, kids etc.

I have lived in less but it was very short term, just wonder how you see life unfolding.

:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You have 283.5 internal sq ft to live in. That is not a lot for the long term. So what is your long term outlook? Live there a few years then back to the city, wife, kids etc.

I have lived in less but it was very short term, just wonder how you see life unfolding.

:thumb::thumb:
283 for the bottom.. I have a trampoline as the second floor / bed, so add another 132 feet. It is on a deck, so there is lots of storage underneath. I am out in the woods, so in good weather the whole world is my living room and kitchen. I am aspiring toward minimalism so less stuff requires less space. For a single guy I could live here happily forever.

I don't foresee a wife and therefore kids. It could happen, but seems unlikely. All I have to do is mention the word "outhouse" and that is usually the end of it. I am pretty committed to this for the foreseeable future but I suppose that could change.

I do plan a more permanent earth bag dome in the future it will be slightly larger, but not by much. I never have been a fan of the city. I can force myself to visit for a while, but that is about all I can deal with.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts