Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,297 Posts
I see as two possible approaches:

1. Start slow and cheap and learn: A .22 rimfire rifle to learn safety and how to shoot, and then add a pistol, a carbine or MBR, shotgun.

2. Go for the gold and get what you'll probably wind up getting eventually anyway, and do your training with them. There will be plenty of recomendations here in this thread to follow.

Personally, depending on budgt:

An MBR or combat carbine (I prefer the MBR in .308)
A major caliber pistol (I prefer a .45 ACP)
A dual purpose shotgun (I prefer a 12 gauge)
And then fill in any niches you perceive a need for.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Ruger 10-22 would be a nice start. Less expensive around $200 for one in blue. around $250 for stainless steel. twenty two ammo runs around $20 for 550 rounds of Long rifle. If you want a pistol then things get a bit more expensive. A good 9MM is going to get up in the $500 plus range fast. Whatever you buy get at least 500 rounds of ammo for it. And second Learn To Shoot It. Be safe with whatever you buy. There are two kinds of people who own guns. those who have had an accidental discharge and those who will have an accidental discharge.

Before you buy any gun see how it fits your hands. If the gun is not comfortable to you then you will never like it. Don't go on someone else's recommendation as to which one to buy. Find out about quality of the firearm, reliability and accuracy. For me Sigs fit me best when shooting hand guns. for you it may be a Glock or a Beretta. take care and good shooting. GB

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Hit Youtube and check out the rifles that you are considering for use. I would probably be looking at an AK type rifle for my first choice of firearm. So go to YouTube and see what people do with AK rifles, AR rifles, M4 carbines, SKS carbines and Ruger 1022 carbines. That will give you a good starting point.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What's your budget and what's your goal?

Rule of thumb says 1 handgun, 1 shotgun, 1 rifle. I would suggest starting with either the handgun or the shotgun 1st. After that, get the other piece of that puzzle, followed by the rifle. Calibers make a difference for several reasons.

I recently picked up a Walther PPKs (.380). The gun is a subcompact. I'm 6' 205. I can literally hide the gun in my hand. On top of that, 100 rounds of .380 costs about $2 more than .40. You definitely want to grab something you are comfortable with (physically and financially).

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
Do you have any firearms experience? If no then .22 rifle, Pick one you like they are all cheap and work. If yes then we need to know what your priorities and location are so we can help you better.

T

·
Just a little bit crazy
51 Posts
Well my first suggestion would be a 20 guage pump shotgun. It helps to know how to shoot, but just cycling the action is a sound known worldwide to bad guys to get away quick. Also 20 guage is a bit easier on the shoulder. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 are good entry lever models.
I love my 10/22 but wish I had spent my $ on a bolt action .22 to introduce my kids to shooting with good rifle skills vs. being able to shoot semiauto and not having to make the shot count cause there's another round with another pull of the trigger.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would recommend going to your local range and take some safety classes first if you don't have any firearms experience. After that, rent a few different pistols from the range to try out. Like a revolver and then a semi-automatic pistol. Start out with small calibers and then work your way up to the bigger calibers. That way you can decide which weapon you like before you buy.

After that, train, train and then train some more!

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

·
Registered
12,971 Posts
Before even looking at guns go to a range watch and learn. some people will even let you fire a few rounds ,providing you conduct your self safely and responsible . it would be advisable to take a gun safety course or at least get a hand book and brush up on the doo's and dont's .
Many gun shops use an air soft gun for training with ,that way accidental firing is not dangerous ,but no matter ,still should be treated as though it is a fire arm .
If you are new to guns . get a BB gun , something similiar to the fire arm you are hoping to acquire .
The BB gun requires safe handleing, but is cheaper to shoot and quieter so you can shoot it inside the house or the garage, into a telephone book .
Know the laws of your town ,so you don't get your self into trouble .
I have had guns all my life but the most fun is shooting my BB and pellet guns , OK i'm a cheapskate. but my guns arn't.
" Pyramid air" provides customer reviews on many of their guns , so you know the chances of getting a good gun are better than going to the local sporting goods store and trusting a sales man.
They make BB and pellet revolvers and semiautos ,very much like the real thing .
I have an HK usp, I am very happy with, among probibly20 other BB and pellet guns ,
not to mention other fire arms, I am not going to list .
When you start firing the real weapon the recoil will tend to make you anticipate the next recoil , and you will have a tendency to pull the barrel down. Don't do it . Let it supprize you every time,and let your consintration be on the target and squezeing the trigger off as smoothly as is possable and not on the recoil.
This is why I like the BB gun ,there is no recoil , so when handleing the fire arm, it's easier to maintain accuricy .
May be that just me, but that's how I train others with a semi auto . With a revolver , I load 2 leave one empty,or leave 2 empty ,leave an expended rounds in the chambers . then it is easy to see the "flintch ". can't do that with a semi auto.
If you end up training some one else later on ,the pellet gun is the best tool for that .
So far as the weapon of choice, for close quarters .45acp. there are several but check out the other shooters with them . 1911 is main stay .if you can get one .
.40 cal is popular as well ,remember too that semiautos use one basic shell and some are sensitive to the powder charge and bullet weight . Only a few rifles can share the same ammo in center fire rounds .
Revolvers on the other hand can be had that will accomodate different charges,shell lengths and bullet weights and share the same ammo as the rifles in their calibur.
When hunting I like the rifle and side arm to share the same ammo. I'm just funny that way . I know my guns and what they can and cannot do .
I have only known a few people in my life time that own only one gun , most every one else has several , it's kind of an addiction.

·
Registered
316 Posts
For a starting point - I'd suggest a .22 rifle. It is what you learn the basics with - gun safety, firearm operation, sight picture. etc.
Once you're comfortable with all that - then you can move on to bigger and better.
For a battery of weapons, you'll probably want a handgun (9mm,40s&w, or .45acp), a shotgun (12ga or 20ga Pump), and a "battle"rifle - AR, AK, M1A, PTR. FAL.
Your choice should be based - first on what fits you - then on the caliber/capacity/suggestions of others.
No matter what your choices are - BE SURE that they fit you and that you can handle the weapon, and Practice, Practice, Practice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking over the options. I am seeing this as the "Battle Rifle"

Can anyone reccomend a similar AK solution that is as good or better for a lower cost?

$359
plus a $350 upgrade -
I CAN CONVERT YOUR SAIGA RIFLES BACK TO STANDARD CONFIG BY MOVING FCG FOWARD, INSTALLING PISTOL GRIP, CHANGING BUTTSTOCK, AND HANDGUARD. IF YOU HAVE THE PARTS ITS $150 IF NOT THEN $350 PLUS UP TO 2 WEEKS TO RECIEVE PARTS FROM CAROLINA SHOOTERS SUPPLY AND COMPLETE INSTALLATION. I HAVE LIMITED EXPERIENCE BUT I CONVERTED MINE AND IT CAME OUT PERFECT. OTHER GUNSMITHS CHARGE MORE THAN $350 WITHOUT PARTS AND UP TO $600 WITH PARTS.

BULLET GUIDE INSTALL IS $50 (OPTIONAL)

I RECOMMEND GETTING:

SAW STYLE PISTOL GRIP
GALIL STYLE HANDGUARD
SINGLE HOOK G2 FCG
NATO LENGTH BUTTSTOCK W/ COMPARTMENT

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct708.aspx

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let me add to this I have had a few years fo hard core scenario paintball - More then half the players were law enforcement and military so the drills and tactics were exlained and ran through. The concept of distance when shooting and moving in groups.

·
This site sucks
1,980 Posts
Let me add to this I have had a few years fo hard core scenario paintball - More then half the players were law enforcement and military so the drills and tactics were exlained and ran through. The concept of distance when shooting and moving in groups.
Seriously? Well all you need now is a couple of video games and you are good to go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glock 19, lots of rounds and training, then CHL.

This is the best preparedness item you can have, because long before you can walk the streets with a long gun, you will have to walk the streets wishing that you had a gun of some kind. It can be concealed or worn openly, will last forever, parts are cheap, ammo is cheap, magazines are cheap...the list goes on.

my .02...

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
Really paintball? You did it with cops, your not a cop. You hopefully wont be going out looking for badguys like they do. Your priority is self defense, Or at least it should be.

I am Call of duty certified though.

We still need to know more about you and your local before real recommendations. Do you have any real experience with REAL guns?

T

·
Registered
11 Posts
Start with a handgun. Then go with a battle rifle or shotgun.
+1

OP what is your situation? Live in an urban setting, house, apartment, kids, ect? What about budget?

Handgun would be most versatile, good protection in the house and easy to maneuver. Ability to hide in a bag or a holster and carry with you. Not as much penetration through walls as a shotgun or rifle. Ultimately you need to go to a range and try out as many as you can, find what fits you the best. What I currently use is an H&K USP .45 with 12 round mags. Great reliability, accuracy, caliber, and capacity. A Glock would be a good cheaper compromise.

In a house for SD purposes I would move up to a 12 gauge shotgun, but beware of what is behind your target. If you are in a rural area a semi-auto rifle starts to make more sense. And finally, WTSHTF there is nothing better than a MBR, I would choose one in a 7.62 flavor. :thumb:

Make sure you have money for ammo so you can practice as much as possible!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know it sounds a little ridiculous however - breaching buildings. working in groups.

Army Reserve MOUT Paintball Training Exercise

1 - 20 of 209 Posts