Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw Leatherman e301 folder in shop and wanted to handle it a bit. That was a mistake, now I have one more blade to play with :D:

e301 is very innovative little folder which unique one handed open feature which works like dream because teflon bearings. Blade is very sharp and sturdy feeling partially serrated spearpoint. Handle hides also carabiner which you can open when needed. Handle is plastic with rubber grips; very comfortable in hand. e301 is quite light but very solid build and you can feel the quality immediately when you handle it (and it´s made in USA :thumb:). Since I have never tried serrated edge I decided to give this little tool a try as my urban edc knife.

I have always been against serrations, so let´s see if this one will change my mind...reports about it later.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Definitely a cool blade shape and VERY comfortable-looking handle. I'll be interested to hear how it performs.

·
Off-roadie
895 Posts
Love partially serated blades.. big benchmade fan. serations help rip through stuff so much nicer, why have you stayed away from them?

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Not over keen on serrated blades.

good for rope work and mountain climbing if you need to cut away.

looking forward to your report on how you get on with it.

·
On my way.
317 Posts
HI
I have a serrated syderco locking folder and I have wanted to sharpen it but I have no clue how to.
What is the best way to sharpen serrated knifes?
Thanks

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts

·
Idaho Mountain Man
401 Posts
I think you'll enjoy that knife FinnMan. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, hope it earns it´s place in my pocket; so good feel tha knife gives and I have been always quite fun of Leatherman products.

·
Prophet
1,261 Posts
Yep. I also got the 301e i think, but my version is a bit different.
It has a regular spearpoint edge on it, no serrations.
It also has the carabiner, a can opener, as well as a screwdriver bit with additional bits.
The handle also has a 'hollow' channel in it to store 3 screwdriver bits.

I've had it for about 6 months now. The handle feels great in the hands, no blisters here. The only complaint i have about the knife, is that the carabiner doesn't snap all the way closed, and it rattles a bit(sloppy). I wouldn't trust it to keep the knife safe.
It came with a nylon pouch, which also has a retainer inside it for the extra screwdriver bits. The knife feels very tight in the pouch, and takes a bit of effort to get it out. I think this might have to do with the material the handle is made of. I'm at a loss to what the handle is made of, almost like a rubber, but not. It almost feels 'sticky' in the hand.

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo41/alzathoth/firesteel011.jpg
http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo41/alzathoth/001.jpg

Anyways it is a great folder for the price, although now after i bought my Gerber LMFII, I wish that i bought a Leatherman pocket tool instead for utility use.
peace
al

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Love partially serated blades.. big benchmade fan. serations help rip through stuff so much nicer, why have you stayed away from them?
I can't answer for FinnMan or anyone else, but the part of the blade that is closest to the handle holds the most power for slicing wood.

For some reason this lower section of the blade is usually serrated, not the tip and forward section of the blade.

Personally, I would like to know from guys who've studied knife fighting if a serrated blade is "better".

A serrated blade cut is harder to stitch, that's all I know.
But does it rip through clothing easier? I'm guessing so...

When I went to hospital with a Stanley knife cut to the thigh (I didn't even feel the cut the blade was so sharp), the hospital staff all commented on how "nice" it was, because it was a clean straight cut, not ragged.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I can't answer for FinnMan or anyone else, but the part of the blade that is closest to the handle holds the most power for slicing wood.
Good point, YB. And knowing that FinnMan does indeed know a lot about using knives and carving as well, and after talking to him about related subjects, I'd guess he's stayed away from serrated blades for that reason. This is also why I usually don't like them.

If your straight-edged blade is sharp enough, it will cut through whatever it is you would "need" a serrated blade for, IMO.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I would be interested if people who have full serrated folders could compare them to straight edged blades in slashing cuts through cartilage, sinew and bone.

(Not on people of course!;):D:)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For me knife is a tool not a weapon. Maybe that could be also one reason why I haven´t had much interest about serrated blades. In bushcraft use serrated blade is generally useless since you mostly use knife in whittling wood. I tried my e301 for whittling and it was miserable experience. I also tried to whittle with straight part of the blade but it was very clumsy aswell and lack of power and control. As YB said the strongest area of the blade is area near the handle. I could have much more use for partially serrated blade if it could be opposite.

I also tried to cut different materials like paper, cartoon, plastic etc. with both serrated and normal blade. Sharp normal blade will cut most of the materials nearly as good as serrated one, but cut is much more clean and neat.

Serrated blade cut more easily when only light force is used, because it bites quite aggressively to the material being cut.

So first impression is that partially serrated blade is not hopeless, but well sharpened straight blade is better for general purpose use. I need some more experience about serrated blade before I can give my final judgement. Maybe this knife will stay in my car as random use or I could grind serrations away...let´s see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts