Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
20 gauge for anything
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my first rifle I'm not sure what to get. What's your opinion. I'm 13 and I would like a rifle nothing too fancy but something that could kill a deer in a medium range situation. The my favourite rifle so far is a Marlin 30-30. lever action rifle I've never shot a deer with a rifle (only a 20 gauge) but I have shot a 30-30. I want something with about the same or less recoil than a 30-30. But I do enjoy shooting up to 12gauge shotguns as well. Any opinions?

Thank U :thumb:
From Luke

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Luke:

Listen to your Mom or Dad and go to bed.
Oh yea, never use your real name on the internet again.

Kabar67

·
Registered
70 Posts
i also have a 20 gauge and thats all you need really to kill a deer because you just load you a slug in there and it dont really matter where you hit that deer, you gonna get him, but in your case you want a rifle, im 16 and have shot my first 30-30 a few days ago, it does have surprisingly low recoil, it is loud though but you get used to it, so i would go with the marlin like you said, i believe thats the one i shot

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
I too love the Marlin .30-30, If your just starting out one could get one especially if you find it at a better than average price, but a .22 rifle does make sense cost wise and for practicality reasons. Granted I do agree the 10/22 is a fine weapon, but one could consider getting a Marlin 39A there lever action .22. Or one could spilt the differance and get the Ruger 96/22, lever gun action with detachable magazine performance. It takes the same magazines as the 10/22.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
99 Posts
make sure a 22 is legal to deer hunt with because in alot of states it isnt you will have to go to a 243 or higher a 243 has low recoil and shoots up to couple hundred yards more than most can shoot accurately

·
20 gauge for anything
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just to let everyone know

- My father is auctally "taking ownership" of the gun until I'm 16 but I can still use it to hunt as long as he's hunting with me

- Where I live it is illegal to use a 22 cal. to hunt deer I think a (45 cal. ???) is the lowest you can use I don't really know my rifles that much

Thanks For your Opinions

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Get a Marlin 336 30-30
I've seen many videos of them shooting and I even shot one myself. Recoil isnt bad at all and they are relatively cheap. Can take deer pretty easily.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
You could get a lever action .44 rifle if you're really going to deer hunt.
Otherwise why not just get a 12 ga slug gun.

·
Zomby Woof
14,243 Posts
SKS or AK variant has nearly the same numbers/recoil as a 30-30, actually less recoil with the gas operated semi auto config. I took home several deer with my AK back in the day when I could shoot 100 yards with iron sights.
I got one at 130yards, right through the heart...I meant to do that...uh...yea, I really did.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Get a .22 first. learn basic marksman skills and gun safty then move up to somthing of hunting caliber. 30-30, .243, .270 are all great. I love .243 and i see new Savage's going for under $350 scoped all the time.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
No .22lr is not legal for deer. the Mossberg plinkster 702 can be found for $100-$130 at most all retail and sporting goods stores.

If learning correct habbits prohibits you from geting a deer this season then so b it, its much more important to learn thies things now, while your brain is like a sponge.

You can have both a .22lr and a nice rifle for under $500 if you shop around. Remimber to look at used first. Seccond hand rifles are usualy cheep.

I found that mossy .22 for $50 at out gun shop used, a Savage .243 in synthetic with 3-9X40 nikon, bipod, strap, and 50 rounds of ammo for $350.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts