Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Shill for the Federal Gov
464 Posts
Its been since the 80's for me since I had mine...So..Outdated info would be,

Factory mags only.

And, check it clear with your actual eyeballs.

:)

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
It will work. The early versions didn't shoot as accurately as the later manufactured ones, most folks can't tell the difference when shooting offhand. Get a spare extractor or two......
I too bought into the salty Vietnam vet NCO with their idiotic "Mattel toy" BS. Now older, smarter and experienced.

Time to grow up, the AR IS the modern American Musket.

·
Semper Fi
8,654 Posts
Yet, for $500 I have 50 P Mags for my AR-15. How many Ruger mags can you buy for $500? And I love Mini 14 and especially Mini 30s.
Which has nothing to do with and adds no value to a thread about the OP having already bought a Mini-14.

But as I posted earlier, at $25 a mag your $500 buys 20.

Want to compare mag prices? Back in the day when I bought my PTR91, $500 would buy 1,000 G3 mags for it, as they were selling for $0.50 each for new-in-wrap, mil-surp (mostly made by HK) aluminum mags. Even as late as 2013 you could buy them in bulk for $1 each.

·
SBs Resident Non Prepper
7,102 Posts
I have owned my Mini 14 since 2003. Great rifle. Don’t let the AR/AK fan boys try to tell you otherwise

Like Steve said. Get some magazines and Ammo. Stay away from some of the cheap mags....The mini won’t like them.
25 dollars is good. :thumb:

My Mini will take a beating .... eat the worst ammo.... and still come out smelling like a Rose 🌹

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
Which has nothing to do with and adds no value to a thread about the OP having already bought a Mini-14.

But as I posted earlier, at $25 a mag your $500 buys 20.

Want to compare mag prices? Back in the day when I bought my PTR91, $500 would buy 1,000 G3 mags for it, as they were selling for $0.50 each for new-in-wrap, mil-surp (mostly made by HK) aluminum mags. Even as late as 2013 you could buy them in bulk for $1 each.
Of course the OP could sell his Mini and buy an AR due to the cost of mags alone so maybe it does add something to the thread? I used to buy carbine mags and FAL mags and all the old military for $3 or so each in cosmoline. I sure miss those days.

·
Semper Fi
8,654 Posts
Of course the OP could sell his Mini and buy an AR due to the cost of mags alone so maybe it does add something to the thread? I used to buy carbine mags and FAL mags and all the old military for $3 or so each in cosmoline. I sure miss those days.
He wasn't asking about replacing his Mini, just wanted advice on it.

The answer to every question is NOT, "buy an AR".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good enough gun, it's what I grew up on a couple during the AWB. Took my first bobcat with a Mini-14 rancher. Mag reloads can be a bit tricky because of the front notch and mag release, you have to get it just right, so if this is going to be your go to combat rifle, practice a few hundred speed reloads.
Good quick video on the simple combat reload

You'll notice that even he takes two times to properly seat the mag tip into the magazine well, and that guy probably has 10k+ reloads in his lifetime, so it can be a bit tricky under pressure without prior practice. I personally end up running the rifle and manipulating the action / reloads much like I do the AK.

Perfect practice makes perfect!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I
ve owned two Mini 14s, the older version and a newer one. The old one wasn't accurate and the new one isn't that much better. But out to around 75 yds they are fine. I would look at other rifle brands before I settled on a Mini 14. But if you got a great deal on it, it will work.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Finally dipping my toe into the rifle segment of gun ownership. From my teenage years forward,I gravitated towards handguns and shotguns. Have both, love both. Over the past few months, a gnawing realization drew me to acknowledge I needed to add a rifle or two to fill the obvious gap. I purchased an early 182- series Ruger Mini 14 chambered for .223
Date of manufacturing is 1982, I believe. I haven't had an opportunity to shoot the rifle yet, but would appreciate input from other Mini 14 owners as to what expectations I should have. I am not formally trained in rifles, so I am hoping to get feedback in easily understood layman's language.
You did well. While I don't own own a Mini 14, it will see you through these tough times ahead. You just need to practice with it. Look to buy an AR platform in .556/.223 as your second buy to have common ammo.

·
Semper Fi
8,654 Posts
You did well. While I don't own own a Mini 14, it will see you through these tough times ahead. You just need to practice with it. Look to buy an AR platform in .556/.223 as your second buy to have common ammo.
Or he could buy another Mini14 to have commonality of magazines.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I thought I was done with rifle purchases but a .50 cal. black powder called my name. I bought it. It is a stash rifle for the cabin. I'm thinking it will be versatile with round ball, minis, maxis and sabots. Black powder is not as noisy as smokeless. I'll mould up a couple hundred round balls, stash some pyrodex and patches.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,035 Posts
I'm a fan of the M14 action, but I'm not so sure Ruger got it right in the Mini... reports widely vary and they're rarely better than an AR15 and often worse, with the worse end of the spectrum is NOT encouraging.

Sadly, I am not too sure of the Mini's accuracy. That, and being in .223, and rare expensive proprietary mags (very scarce and expensive) really hamstring this platform unfortunately. Hey if that's all you got, shoot the snot out of it and get good with it.

I'd have far preferred/recommended an AR in 5.56 last year when they could be had for $350 all day long with $10 mags... or an inexpensive SKS which could be had for $300 last year and is on par with a Mini in all respects.

Oh well.

Good luck OP. With ammo at a buck a round for .223, it will be hard/expensive to practice a lot but you'll need to get that Mini dialed in.

·
Shill for the Federal Gov
464 Posts
Had one in the 80's...So take what info I got as OLDEN times :)

Use only factory magazines. Do not mount a scope with a "Deflection" bar/plate above the reciever...(I bought it that way...)

Good luck! It was a fun rifle.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts