Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally dipping my toe into the rifle segment of gun ownership. From my teenage years forward,I gravitated towards handguns and shotguns. Have both, love both. Over the past few months, a gnawing realization drew me to acknowledge I needed to add a rifle or two to fill the obvious gap. I purchased an early 182- series Ruger Mini 14 chambered for .223
Date of manufacturing is 1982, I believe. I haven't had an opportunity to shoot the rifle yet, but would appreciate input from other Mini 14 owners as to what expectations I should have. I am not formally trained in rifles, so I am hoping to get feedback in easily understood layman's language.

·
reluctant sinner
17,025 Posts
It will work. The early versions didn't shoot as accurately as the later manufactured ones, most folks can't tell the difference when shooting offhand. Get a spare extractor or two.

I would consider the stainless steel model. 5.56 is a varmint gun IMHO and I hated my issue M-16.

·
Semper Fi
8,662 Posts
I owned both a Mini14 and 30. They had acceptable accuracy. Get the Accu-strut if you want to tighten up the groups a bit. You can also get a trigger job done.

Now that you have the rifle get MAGS and AMMO.

For ammo sign up for text notifications at targetsportsusa.com and jump as soon as you get the text. I have seen stuff go back out of stock in as little as 20 minutes.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Best advice is to shoot A LOT.... as in practice. Otherwise you might have trouble hiting the broad side of a barn no matter how accurate your rifle is.

I looked at adding a Mini-14 but about that time AR-15s got so cheap that I couldn't justify going with one due to price of it and accessories vs the AR. I have several other rifles though, so I am diverse enough. I do like the look of the old wood ones better than an AR though.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
gotta agree with ronald on this one.

ARs are (rather "were") very cheap to build. Ive built a couple ARs and AR pistols. Much cheaper than a fatory Mini.

However, your rifle should do fine for your needs.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,629 Posts
My older Ruger mini had a wood stock which was a little too thin in the reciever area. When I snapped the trigger assembly into place, the action was still a little loose. So I followed the US Army tech manual for acturizing the M1a, and I glass bedded the action. This produced tighter groups, and the point of impact stopped moving while the barrel heated up.

I now own two Ruger mini carbines. They consistantly shoot 2,5" groups, and the newer one shoots goups half that size. This is comparable with the average Winchester 94. I mounted a nylon scabbard on my ATV and carry my Ruger mini like a saddle gun.

·
Semper Fi
8,662 Posts
Forgot to mention there is an adjustable gas block available if you don't want to chase your brass into the next zip code.

·
Semper Fi
8,662 Posts
I second the Tech-sights recommendation. The stock Ruger are a PAIN to adjust.

I didn't have them on either of my Rugers but do have a set on my wife's Keltec SU16CA.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for advice and tips. I will be practicing a lot insofar as my work schedule allows.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My mini 14 has been upgraded with an all in one front sight/flash suppresser, Accu strut, Dropped into the Archangel stock, Tech sigh rear sight and a stripper clip guide from Cogburn Arsenal so I can breach load rounds from a stripper clip into the mag. I only use Ruger factory 20rd mags. I sighted the rifle in at 75yds. Last but not least I gave the rifle a Rattle Can cammo job being mind full to spray front and rear sight with flat black to stop glaring on the sights in bright light,

I'm not an AR fan did not like them in the Military hated the day they took my M14 away and gave me my POS M16 that spent more time broken than actually working. If given choice of AR or AK I'll take the AK every time, my AK has a reflex sight mounted on it and sighted at 50yds

Don't like the AR fanatics that like to bash the Mini14 run across them many times on range, irony is they like to bash the mini14 but all I have talked to have never fired a mini or even held one, I always offer to them to fire the mini I own and most after they fire it are open minded and impressed on how smooth the mini actually fires.

All said My recommendations for your mini.

1. Accu Strut as it helps group patterns and lessens the "Shot Stringing" effect mine hits inside a 2" circle at 75yds (open sights)

2. Replace the factory sight with the all in one front sight/ flash suppresser

3. Get the Tech sight rear sight (money well spent)

3. I recommend the the Archangel composite stock because it has adjustable top and rear on the butt stock, and composite stocks are not affected by heat, humidity/ soaking water like a wood stock can be prone to.... but stock is a personnel choice

4. Recommend only use Ruger factory mags they are pricy but in my book money well spent.

5. The stripper clip guide is an option that I choose I say it to be an option because the stripper guide installs where the rear scope mount sits.

Bottom line is this the rifle is yours so take it and spend the cash and take the time to make it yours and fit the rifle to your fighting style don't let the nay Sayers sway you from whatever and however you choose to modify YOUR rifle

·
Semper Fi
8,662 Posts
Thanks to all for advice and tips. I will be practicing a lot insofar as my work schedule allows.
As was mentioned earlier you NEED to lay in some extra mags. You also need to get as much ammo as you can find.

Try targetsportsusa.com and sign up for notifications

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all for advice and tips. I will be practicing a lot insofar as my work schedule allows.[/quote"]As was mentioned earlier you NEED to lay in some extra mags. You also need to get as much ammo as you can find."

Duly noted.

Try targetsportsusa.com and sign up for notifications

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another place to try is ammunition store you can sometimes get good deals on bulk along with the normal 2 day delivery with Fed Ex

I use both the 223rem and 5.56 green tips I have found not real difference between the two in accuracy, only difference I can note is the 223rem casings eject out and forward at about a 20-30 degree angle and the green tips eject straight out to the side into the next county

·
Semper Fi
8,662 Posts
Another place to try is ammunition store you can sometimes get good deals on bulk along with the normal 2 day delivery with Fed Ex

I use both the 223rem and 5.56 green tips I have found not real difference between the two in accuracy, only difference I can note is the 223rem casings eject out and forward at about a 20-30 degree angle and the green tips eject straight out to the side into the next county
The ejection pattern is a sign the .223 rds you are using are under powered.

The 5.56 ejection is a sign your rifle could benefit from an adjustable gas block to ease the stress on the action.

·
Semper Fi
8,662 Posts
Duly noted
I have no connection with them nor have I ordered from them before but this place has actual Ruger mags in stock for a not bad price. Only 20rds though and not the 30s.

I wouldn't delay on ordering.

https://www.lawmens.com/ruger-mini-14-20-round-magazine/

Ruger want's $45 a pop for the 30rd mags on their site. From what I remember you want to stay away from aftermarket mags. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
It's been awhile since I shot my Mini-14 Tactical but I recall my pair of factory Ruger 30rd mags didn't seem to be as reliable as the 20rd mags.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,611 Posts
Actually that's a good year. It's a good rifle, don't let the naysayers sway you.

They eat everything up and spit it right back out and its accurate enough for what it is....a utility rifle!
Carried one in the cruiser for years, I never had a problem hitting what I needed to. If you run out of ammo the still made a dinkum club. :)

·
the "d" from ban[d]
14,991 Posts
Finally dipping my toe into the rifle segment of gun ownership. From my teenage years forward,I gravitated towards handguns and shotguns. Have both, love both. Over the past few months, a gnawing realization drew me to acknowledge I needed to add a rifle or two to fill the obvious gap. I purchased an early 182- series Ruger Mini 14 chambered for .223
Date of manufacturing is 1982, I believe. I haven't had an opportunity to shoot the rifle yet, but would appreciate input from other Mini 14 owners as to what expectations I should have. I am not formally trained in rifles, so I am hoping to get feedback in easily understood layman's language.
You know what you want. Buy it. Enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts