Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Im very excited to tell that I caught my first rabbit with the snare!
My boyfriend shows me how to put the wire in a good place then wait.
In the morning I have a rabbit! So pretty it is all white to match itself in the snow. Despite that I am a city girl I had to prepare myself it for cooking.
I dont like that! However if any job is to do then I always do it. Ok thats it! I just wanted to tell it.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Big congrats! There's more to snaring and trapping than the device...it's knowing how to identify game, active game trails, choke points, etc. I still need to get both my kids to learn how to clean small game...they've done fish, but squirrels and rabbits are next. Good job:thumb:

ROCK6

·
V
21,713 Posts
Good on ya Min, first of many I'll bet :thumb: better stop buy the farming section of the boards and stock up on recipies :D:

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
exxxxxcellent ---- it will be the best tasting meal ya have had in a while. especially since it was by your own hand from start to finish.

pay attention to where ya got it, the terrain, bush configurations, in general where they run and how to identify those runs. ya want ta practice w out takin one as well. good work girl keep it up.

Reactions: Min

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations. That is a great job.

Next you go get yourself a rattle snake girl.
I am in Alaska! So there is no snake at all. In Taiwan though is many snakes in the mountain. Most is a cobra and a small green snake also poisonous.

In the mountain trail I stop always to worship with a little shrine. One time is a large cobra there. it was very peaceful to me. I did not disturb it either I think it may be a spirit. I never like to harm an animals that is not necessary.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dang, that rattler does sound good! I might go and try for one this afternoon. Put it with some wild onions in a potato soup....good stuff. You can put almost anything in a potato soup and make a stew of it.

and I think squirrel and rabbit are much easier to strip and clean than fish. Much easier. No more than 8 seconds if you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
when you can, just freeze fish whole. time comes to prepare it, the guts can be popped out in one piece, no mess. This is xtra important when living without running water !
Another detail is, if you are cutting it into steaks, you wont damage the meat by putting too much pressure on it as lyou cut thru the backbone.

You do need to calculate how much to let it thaw. For me, a 5 lb salmon left at refrigerator temp for about 8 hours thawed it just enough.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi! Im very excited to tell that I caught my first rabbit with the snare!
My boyfriend shows me how to put the wire in a good place then wait.
In the morning I have a rabbit! So pretty it is all white to match itself in the snow. Despite that I am a city girl I had to prepare myself it for cooking.
I dont like that! However if any job is to do then I always do it. Ok thats it! I just wanted to tell it.
:)wow thats awesome,i still remember how to make a snare that i learned how to make in boys scouts 35 years ago.i am impressed,so cool:cool:neo

·
Registered
192 Posts
congrats min... youve got the basics down now just need to learn to read animal trails... another good thing to use if you really wanna be successful is animal scent on the snares or some kind of atractant around it but its not neccesary.... you should try your hand at deadfalls too.... theyre alot of fun.. good time consumiing project if your bored too.... i used to just sit around with my leatherman and make a bunch at a time

·
Jesus, Family,and Country
158 Posts
Rabbit it a great tasting meat. I am sure you already found that out. I hate to say it, but it was very similar to chicken for me. I boiled it first and the put it on the grill for that extra flavor. It was good. My 3 year old nephew loved it too!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Awsome Job Congrats. I was thinking about trying my hand at this as well. problem is not many rabbits around where i hunt. Congrats and Way to go. You should be proud.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts