Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone..
For the longest time I couldnt stand the thought of killing anything. Now that I see that my gun rights are slowly going and food is going up I have the new appreciation for the power of a gun. Not just for self defese. I am 22 and I have only shot a gun twice which was at a camp and my dads 22. What kind of gun should I get? Where do I start? Thankyou
Liz:confused:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Hey everyone..
For the longest time I couldnt stand the thought of killing anything. Now that I see that my gun rights are slowly going and food is going up I have the new appreciation for the power of a gun. Not just for self defese. I am 22 and I have only shot a gun twice which was at a camp and my dads 22. What kind of gun should I get? Where do I start? Thankyou
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=19324

Follow this thread, rather than repeating everything again...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
you need to get a BB gun and practice practice practice.

then

get a Ruger 10/22

and a Marlin 336 in .30-30

and a Remington 870 12 ga shotgun

and a Ruger or S&W .357 revolver

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hey everyone..
Practice with a 22 as much as possible until you are totally comfortable.

Then I'd suggest a Marlin 336 lever action 30-30 (my personal opinion only) as a nice all purpose gun with low recoil that is light and easy to handle, yet packs a nice punch against whatever you are shooting at.

I saw two or three used yesterday at Cabelas for around $400.. And better deals can be found elsewhere..

I have one and love it. My 14 year old daughter can also handle it.

Also the other guns Nebguy listed above are great to bridge the gaps after you are comfortable and want more..

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
there are a lot of possibilities and the sks is one

a high power semi auto is not a beginners gun tho. you can learn the art of musketry with a BB gun or a pellet gun way way cheaper. also the art of the shotgun

BB guns were used in WWII to train aerial gunners, you can often see the BB in flight and they used those, then shotguns on clay pigeons before going on to mg fire.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts

a high power semi auto is not a beginners gun tho. you can learn the art of musketry with a BB gun or a pellet gun way way cheaper. also the art of the shotgun

BB guns were used in WWII to train aerial gunners, you can often see the BB in flight and they used those, then shotguns on clay pigeons before going on to mg fire.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: BB gun....good one. :)

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
Everyone here has given great advice. The order I went in covering all my needs were.
1- Rugar 10-22 -small game-plinking & practicing
2- Rugar P95 9mm -got concealed carry permit.
3- Maverick 88 12gauge- hunting-home defense
4- Saiga 7.62x 39 -hunting-shtf time
5- Walther P22 -plinking-practice for son
next on list will be either a .45 .40 .357 for more stopping power.
The 9mm will become my wifes gun if my son and I can get her to overcome her fears.
I went with the 9mm for higher capacity,ease of shooting and cost.
I now after reading much more into it would go with something with more stopping power. See if you can try a gun or one of the same caliber before you buy it. Some places that have ranges will let you do that.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts

But, depending on this election-an SKS may not be a bad idea. I can totally see those being restricted. So it may be good to start with something like that, really not much more recoil than a .22 mag bolt gun, and then go up to the more expensive stuff. A 12 gauge shotgun is just a hard kicker, no way around it. And it has probably turned off more new shooters than any other firearm.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey everyone..
What do you plan to hunt? Is your first gun going to be primarily for hunting? Or protection? If protection: concealed carry? Home Protection? :confused:

Jim

·
Registered
317 Posts
Shotgun or pistol for sure.

Pistol can be concealed if need be but shotgun is the most versatile.

You can take many different kinds of game with a shotgun if you stock a couple different types of shells and can also shoot slugs to take down big game.

There are also adapters to shoot rifle cartridges in shotguns, I can't see them being very accurate but they exist.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Everyone here has given great advice. The order I went in covering all my needs were.
1- Rugar 10-22 -small game-plinking & practicing
2- Rugar P95 9mm -got concealed carry permit.
3- Maverick 88 12gauge- hunting-home defense
4- Saiga 7.62x 39 -hunting-shtf time
5- Walther P22 -plinking-practice for son
next on list will be either a .45 .40 .357 for more stopping power.
The 9mm will become my wifes gun if my son and I can get her to overcome her fears.
I went with the 9mm for higher capacity,ease of shooting and cost.
I now after reading much more into it would go with something with more stopping power. See if you can try a gun or one of the same caliber before you buy it. Some places that have ranges will let you do that.
How can you recommend something you cant even spell? Its RUGER!:xeye:

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I'd recommend you go get a hunter's safety course first,then find a range or club that has some members who would let you shoot a variety of firearms.
Knowledge first,then the tools.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
But, depending on this election-an SKS may not be a bad idea. I can totally see those being restricted. So it may be good to start with something like that, really not much more recoil than a .22 mag bolt gun, and then go up to the more expensive stuff. A 12 gauge shotgun is just a hard kicker, no way around it. And it has probably turned off more new shooters than any other firearm.
yep yep yep all true. no reason not to buy all of the guns you need now. just figgered a beginner outta get a BB gun, or a pellet gun and practice with that a lot instead of training at 40 cents a shot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts