Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok in my grandpas back yard he has a garden that is aprox 20 ft long and 4 ft wide I will measure it tonight. He usually it but the last crop of lettuce green onions and others I can't remember where eaten by bugs aland he just let then all go and the plot overgrow with weeds. I am in the process of removing weeds before I rototill the gound. He has had success with this plot before and the plot is next to a very successful bosenberry vines not sure how to spell it. My questions are what can I do before planting to help reduce bugs or likely hood of them. Spraying pesticides is not an option as my 5 year old daughter likes to eat cherry tomatoes right off the vine. Also what would be good things to plant in the next couple weeks for so cal weather. I like about 30 to 45 minutes north of san Diego. I will post pictures of progress as I go.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just go ahead and till the weeds under, so long as they haven't come to flower. It makes for more organic matter in your soil.

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just go ahead and till the weeds under, so long as they haven't come to flower. It makes for more organic matter in your soil.
I thought about that but I want to reduce the amount of weeds and I still gotta pull out the eaten up green onions and lettuce.

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
A 20x4 spot should/could be hand cleared. After sitting for a spell and having a weed/veggie mix going, it's best not to use any green matter growing there. Start clean, start fresh.

Pull up all plants/weeds...and hand till. Exposing the new soil will also expose any dormant eggs/insect/bugs. Between you and the birds, eliminate any enemies you see.

Till again within a week and repeat bug removal.

Lay a nice thick layer of well rotted compost and till again. Irrigate well and allow to space to "sleep" for a week.

Cleaning the grow space removes weeds and undesirables...
Tilling aerates the soil and exposes dormant threats...
Adding organic nutrients boosts root uptake and response...

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A 20x4 spot should/could be hand cleared. After sitting for a spell and having a weed/veggie mix going, it's best not to use any green matter growing there. Start clean, start fresh.

Pull up all plants/weeds...and hand till. Exposing the new soil will also expose any dormant eggs/insect/bugs. Between you and the birds, eliminate any enemies you see.

Lay a nice thick layer of well rotted compost and till again. Irrigate well and allow to space to "sleep" for a week.

That's kinda what I was thinking I still have a lot of roots and weeds and stuff to clear then I will you gas powered rototiller its a small one turns the soil up really well

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts

Also I would like to add that a 2 week resting period during a good weather spell will sprout any weeds and allow you to till them under before any crops go in.

Pyrethrum, neem and marigolds are very common plants to grow to inhibit pests. Garlic can be used to deter aphids, although some plants will take up the flavour if you plant them nearby.

Otherwise having healthy soil and a healthy rotation really does deter pests, which thrive in unhealthy conditions and tend to keep themselves in balance in a healthy and biodiverse garden.

I have never had to spray my garden for pests. I've sqished my share of aphids on the roses and burned my share of rust and brown spot, but all I've ever actually sprayed anywhere was pyrethrum, which is organic, on my pear tree leaves. Once the garden gains balance you really don't have a lot to worry about although it's a little depressing for the year or two it takes to get there.

:)

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
Once the garden gains balance you really don't have a lot to worry about although it's a little depressing for the year or two it takes to get there.:)
This has always been the thing that makes it so hard to go fully organic. It is impossible to kill every bad critter by hand until you have attracted sufficient quantities of the good fellas. I hate seeing all of the plants starting to get holes in their leaves, and the spots forming and the blossoms just falling off. Darn near as bad as watching the little ones getting sick.

·
Never Abducted
14,270 Posts
I've found that for certain bugs, such as cucumber beetles and slugs, if I go out at night with a flashlight, I find and squish a lot more than I do in the daytime. My wife gets a kick outta me coming in the house with a big smile on my face as I describe the massacre.

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
If you start getting bugs go to the $ store buy a $1 bottle sprayer fill it with dirty dish water and spray to your hearts content. It will kill the bugs but not your daughter. If you get snails try pie plates filled with stale beer or cirlce the plot with diamanhteus (sp ?) earth again it will kill the snails but not hurt humans. Beetles, horned worms just squish them on your own. Good luck to you.

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
This has always been the thing that makes it so hard to go fully organic. It is impossible to kill every bad critter by hand until you have attracted sufficient quantities of the good fellas. I hate seeing all of the plants starting to get holes in their leaves, and the spots forming and the blossoms just falling off. Darn near as bad as watching the little ones getting sick.
don't sweat the holes in the leaves or you can never get to spray free. :D: If you feed and water your plants properly they can outgrow any pests.

But I admit I put derris dust on the brassicas.

Oh and I forgot to mention lemongrass. Another pest deterrent.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
It's mid July already. It's a bit past the planting season for summer crops, I'd wait a bit and start some cool weather crops for the next growing season, next summer you could have your tomatoes and such.
When I live in So Cal I never used anything for pest control except companion plants, gotta have marigolds with your tomatoes, and hand picking. The two week resting period to allow any additional weeds to sprout is excellent advice! Till those under with a hula hoe. I took out all weeds in my yard with a hula hoe, all I had when I moved in was weeds, and I've been able to maintain a fifth of an acre with just the hula hoe provided I keep on top of the weeds as soon as they sprout, or shortly thereafter. I sometimes wait for them to grow a little bigger, then hoe them under and leave on the ground to decay back into the soil. So long as they don't have flowers, you should be good as they haven't had a chance to go to seed.
Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts