Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my very first emergency food item. I intend to buy some each pay period and store in an unused bedroom. I am new at the food part of prepping so any tips would be appreciated. My wife and I also plan on starting a small garden.

Food Ingredient Book Tableware Font

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you live in a single family home with a basement? If so buy an aluminum garbage can with lid, and put the cardboard box in it and leave it in the basement. It needs to be stored away from pests and heat.
Florida here so no basement but I like the can idea for the spare room

·
Jackpine Savage
5,518 Posts
You made a mistake. That is not going to feed 2 people for 72 hours with either flavor that you like or nutrition. Friends don't let friends buy Wise.

I suggest that you spend more time in the food and water section reading. Many of us have already made the mistakes and posted what we learned so others don't.

If this comes off as a bit harsh it really isn't meant to be. I still have a bucket of that stuff laying around myself as well as a bucket of rice and pintos still in store packaging. I keep them as a reminder not to just jump in and buy stuff, to actually look into things.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
You probably already know, but storage conditions are of the utmost importance. Cool and dry and dark. For everything; ammunition, spare boots, medicines, water, anything you store.

I regularly eat canned food that is years past the ”best by” date. Since you’re fortunate enough to have a spare room for storage, canned food will last a long time, for a lot less $$$. And if you have to, you can drink the water in a can of corn or green beans.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You probably already know, but storage conditions are of the utmost importance. Cool and dry and dark. For everything; ammunition, spare boots, medicines, water, anything you store.

I regularly eat canned food that is years past the ”best by” date. Since you’re fortunate enough to have a spare room for storage, canned food will last a long time, for a lot less $$$. And if you have to, you can drink the water in a can of corn or green beans.
Yes canned food is for sure in my plans

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
My first food item was (4) #25 bags of white rice from Sams Club. I got spaghetti and noodle next time. I did the trashcans eventually but then we upgraded to reconditioned 55 ga drums, we just let them rust and trashed the outside so they are hidden in plain sight.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You made a mistake. That is not going to feed 2 people for 72 hours with either flavor that you like or nutrition. Friends don't let friends buy Wise.

I suggest that you spend more time in the food and water section reading. Many of us have already made the mistakes and posted what we learned so others don't.

If this comes off as a bit harsh it really isn't meant to be. I still have a bucket of that stuff laying around myself as well as a bucket of rice and pintos still in store packaging. I keep them as a reminder not to just jump in and buy stuff, to actually look into things.
I asked for opinions so your good. Does not mean I am goig to agree with everyone. Thanks for replying.

·
Michigander
266 Posts
SAMPLE before you buy too much.

You might just consider getting a plastic tote and buying extra of the SAME THINGS you currently eat. Any shelf stable items like Pop-tarts, Bag of Rice, Instant Potatoes, Tuna, a bag of hard candy like lifesavers, Ritz crackers and that crappy cheese in a spray can... throw in a deck of cards

Then fill a 2nd tote. Maybe some tubes of Country Time lemonade, Folgers Coffee crystals

While you are doing this, contact your Prep company of choice and order some samples before you buy more.

A single burner butane stove for $25 is easier to use in bad weather than your BBQ grill.

https://www.amazon.com/GS-1000-Port...1&keywords=butane+stove&qid=1631554014&sr=8-5

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SAMPLE before you buy too much.

You might just consider getting a plastic tote and buying extra of the SAME THINGS you currently eat. Any shelf stable items like Pop-tarts, Bag of Rice, Instant Potatoes, Tuna, a bag of hard candy like lifesavers, Ritz crackers and that crappy cheese in a spray can... throw in a deck of cards

Then fill a 2nd tote. Maybe some tubes of Country Time lemonade, Folders crystals

While you are doing this, contact your Prep company of choice and order some samples before you buy more.

A single burner butane stove for $25 is easier to use in bad weather than your BBQ grill.

https://www.amazon.com/GS-1000-Port...1&keywords=butane+stove&qid=1631554014&sr=8-5
Thanks for your input and the link. Really like that burner.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You’re lucky you have space and your mate is on board with you! That’s going to make it a lot easier.
She works retail part time and I work in a hospital so we both see first hand how american society is breaking down.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Unfortunately, I bought Wise also. It's mostly salt, with salt, a bit of flavoring, salt, and maybe a starch (with some added sodium). Did I mention salt? Bad news for people like me with high blood pressure. And for those who have working taste buds.

No problem, however, you can use that kit in small servings as a side dish. A much cheaper and less salty plan is to buy rice and beans along with some spices and seasoning packets, and store them in a convenient place where you can eat them regularly, and add to them with newly purchased supplies as you use them. Rotation is the key, stocking up and forgetting about it leads to problems.

Some long-term storage foods are good, Auguson Farms has some good items which aren't salty. Just have to read the nutrition labels carefully.

For some strange reason, canned tuna, sardines, etc seem to have a longer "use by" date than other canned meats. If you don't care for fish, look for Keystone canned meats (Walmart sometimes has them). They're mostly pretty tasty.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I just saw those at walmart this past weekend. couldn't believe they wanted almost $100 for that. can you elaborate what's included in it?

seems you could easily stock up on a heck of a lot more of rice & beans, mac and cheese, canned tuna, dry milk, etc. for that amount of coin...

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, I bought Wise also. It's mostly salt, with salt, a bit of flavoring, salt, and maybe a starch (with some added sodium). Did I mention salt? Bad news for people like me with high blood pressure. And for those who have working taste buds.

No problem, however, you can use that kit in small servings as a side dish. A much cheaper and less salty plan is to buy rice and beans along with some spices and seasoning packets, and store them in a convenient place where you can eat them regularly, and add to them with newly purchased supplies as you use them. Rotation is the key, stocking up and forgetting about it leads to problems.

Some long-term storage foods are good, Auguson Farms has some good items which aren't salty. Just have to read the nutrition labels carefully.

For some strange reason, canned tuna, sardines, etc seem to have a longer "use by" date than other canned meats. If you don't care for fish, look for Keystone canned meats (Walmart sometimes has them). They're mostly pretty tasty.
We are going to do what you and others suggest with "everyday" foods. The "Emergent" foods will be if we have to leave in a hurry. I actually liked the Auguson Farms stuff but it costs 3 times more to ship them than they are worth.

·
Storyteller
3,259 Posts

I'll plus1 @Potawatomi II - and urge you to READ THE LABEL.

This is not to harsh on ya, but to provide some education/offer a better way to go....

Your 'kit' lists as $39.99 on line.

You get mac & Cheese, flavored rice and soup.
Chow labels

260 + 270 + 150 = 680 calories in 3 entrees (BTW the whey powder is NOT milk, not even close.) Yeah, nobody is going to starve to death in 3 days...so there is that.

BUT, what else could you get for $40? (I've done this before) @ Wallyworld (simply because they are so common)

Wally branded Mac and Cheese - $0.60 for 3 servings so 2 x gives 6 entrees & your 3 days is covered.
$1.20

1 Lb long grain rice - $0.94 - 2.5 cups of dry rice is (1 cup dry cooked gives 3 cups cooked) fives you 7.5 cups cooked rice. 1 'serving' of rice is 1/2 cup so - you each get just over 1 full cup of rice per day. I say go big and buy two bags....
$1.88
or you could go big and get Knorr Rice sides /Cheddar Broccoli, Long Grain Rice, Vermicelli Pasta, 5.7 oz which gives 2.5 servings - 3 bags @ $1.00 /ea this has the flavoring etc, so is a slightly better deal than just the plain rice
$3.00.

Bear Creek Country Kitchens® Vegetable Beef Soup Mix 9 oz. Pouch
8 servings @ $4.77 - so your 72 hours are covered.

BTW - just like your bucket Chow, these are NOT a meal, they are an entree.

Total cost so far - $8.97
with the remaining $31

Quick oatmeal (Wall brand) $2.22 makes 13 servings
that leaves $28.78

WASA Bread (18 slices or 9 small sandwichs) $3.44
that leaves $25.34

Peanut butter (the true staff of life) 18 oz wall brand $1.72 - more than enough to make those sammies
which leaves $23.62

1 can of Chef boyrdee Beefaroni (cause I see that a lot on web menus) $1.10 2 servings
which leaves $22.50
or Wally bramd macoroni and beef (15 oz) $0.96 for 2 servings...

with the remain $22+ you could buy a canned fruit juice or the like with $ left over.

My point - buying off-the-shelf shelf stable food will always gives a better value and more variety than Bucket Chow. Always. Yes, it takes a bit more effort, but I believe you would be better than eating the c*** sold by Wise or whatever their name is today.

Anyway - best of luck going forward.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll plus1 @Potawatomi II - and urge you to READ THE LABEL.

This is not to harsh on ya, but to provide some education/offer a better way to go....

Your 'kit' lists as $39.99 on line.

You get mac & Cheese, flavored rice and soup.
Chow labels

260 + 270 + 150 = 680 calories in 3 entrees (BTW the whey powder is NOT milk, not even close.) Yeah, nobody is going to starve to death in 3 days...so there is that.

BUT, what else could you get for $40? (I've done this before) @ Wallyworld (simply because they are so common)

Wally branded Mac and Cheese - $0.60 for 3 servings so 2 x gives 6 entrees & your 3 days is covered.
$1.20

1 Lb long grain rice - $0.94 - 2.5 cups of dry rice is (1 cup dry cooked gives 3 cups cooked) fives you 7.5 cups cooked rice. 1 'serving' of rice is 1/2 cup so - you each get just over 1 full cup of rice per day. I say go big and buy two bags....
$1.88
or you could go big and get Knorr Rice sides /Cheddar Broccoli, Long Grain Rice, Vermicelli Pasta, 5.7 oz which gives 2.5 servings - 3 bags @ $1.00 /ea this has the flavoring etc, so is a slightly better deal than just the plain rice
$3.00.

Bear Creek Country Kitchens® Vegetable Beef Soup Mix 9 oz. Pouch
8 servings @ $4.77 - so your 72 hours are covered.

BTW - just like your bucket Chow, these are NOT a meal, they are an entree.

Total cost so far - $8.97
with the remaining $31

Quick oatmeal (Wall brand) $2.22 makes 13 servings
that leaves $28.78

WASA Bread (18 slices or 9 small sandwichs) $3.44
that leaves $25.34

Peanut butter (the true staff of life) 18 oz wall brand $1.72 - more than enough to make those sammies
which leaves $23.62

1 can of Chef boyrdee Beefaroni (cause I see that a lot on web menus) $1.10 2 servings
which leaves $22.50
or Wally bramd macoroni and beef (15 oz) $0.96 for 2 servings...

with the remain $22+ you could buy a canned fruit juice or the like with $ left over.

My point - buying off-the-shelf shelf stable food will always gives a better value and more variety than Bucket Chow. Always. Yes, it takes a bit more effort, but I believe you would be better than eating the c*** sold by Wise or whatever their name is today.

Anyway - best of luck going forward.
Thanks and yes my mind (see above post) has already been changed going forward. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts