Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Stand Still you Die!!
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I purchased my first diesel yesterday. Not my dream truck or even a good BOV, but everybody has to start somewhere. I have a 89 Chevy 2500 6.2 liter 2 wheel drive. Has a 150,000 on it and looks like it has been to quite a few job sites. I only paid $800 for so I figure I cant really loose. Was wondering if any one knows any dirt on these things. The start took a second, which worried me when I went to look at it. When I took for a test drive it shifted fine and ran strong. It seems that there really isn't much info on them. The service fuel filter light is on which I have heard some problems with those leaking, but the guy I bought it from said he replaced it and couldn't get the light to go off. Any of you diesel mechanics out there have any horror stories for me :eek: Hopefully not, I want to start putting some money into just looking for a starting path.

I don't know if it is the J vin Or C vin, but it does have a 400 turbo trans

Thanks,

· Registered
1,237 Posts
You might try unhooking the battery for 5 minutes or so to get the fuel filter light off.

The 6.2 is a tough engine but really under powered. My dad had over 250K on his '87 when he traded it off (was on its third tranny though) but it was well maintained. One thing to be remembered, ALWAYS wait for the glow plug light to go out before you start it. If you don't, you'll blow out the glow plugs and it will be a problem to start until you replace them.

· Registered
968 Posts
yea i have a 94 with the 6.5td and it definitely has a little cult following with it there are also a bunch of sites that sell parts only for 6.2/6.5 diesels. Their pretty good engines but have their own little quirks. My 6.5td has a little more power than ur 6.2 but also has more little issues i have to keep in mind, personally id take the engine that was a little underpowered but more reliable for a bov. You can also turbo the 6.2 and get the best of both worlds if u decide u want to put some money and time into adding some stuff.

· Registered
234 Posts
I've owned a couple 6.2s thru the years, and worked on a lot of them in hmmwvs , they're not a bad engine just woefully underpower!
Turbo kits aren't insanely priced for them!, they do occasionally have isssues breaking cranks! Glow plug systems leave a lot to be desired on the 6.2s, iirc J vin usually have serpentine belts instead of separate v belts.

Eta if you have starter engagement issue, keep in mind that the starters are designed to be swhimmed into place, which isn't hard just kinda annoying!

· Learning
6,729 Posts
Why do people say they are underpowered? I've got a cucv that smokes the tires without me even trying and it will pull just about anything...what do people want?

My suburban with a 6.2 block and a 6.5 turbo and IP hauls and gets 20mpg's...what more could a person ask for? I don't get this underpowered stuff.

I flew by a Dodge cummins truck Monday morning in the suburban...maybe the Dodge is the underpowered truck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.