Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have spent the last few months establishing my health once again, working on the location I will end up if it all rains down, the car thing is still open, but I am working on my skill set over all. Got first aid, advance first aid, cpr, advance cpr, emt, gardening, basic carpentry, basic to intermediate plumbing and electrical training.

So, now we can move on to the fun stuff.

Shopping.

First...how about a bug out bag shopping list. From the soup to the nuts. From the bag, to what goes in it. I have been reading a lot about Maxpedition Gear, and 5.11 tactical...is this how we should start?

Let us plan on rural. I am in central Wisconsin, and the place I end up is about 100 miles north of here.

So, the everyday, in the car, bug out bag. What do you prescribe?

·
See you in my Scope
2,622 Posts
Though this thread has been done ad nasium, it should be.

If you are thinking BOB to get to your well stocked BOL, then something with three days of food and some along the way survival stuff like ammo and water.

If this is all you got when you get there... well I would put the kitchen sink. I would get a very large internal frame pack that has room for everything you are going to bring. The maxexpedition packs are cool and so are the 5.11 stuff but a little small for bugging out with everything. Think North Face and spend a couple hundred at least on it. I have had mine for over 18 years and it is still as good as new.

·
See you in my Scope
2,622 Posts
Though this thread has been done ad nasium, it should be.

If you are thinking BOB to get to your well stocked BOL, then something with three days of food and some along the way survival stuff like ammo and water.

If this is all you got when you get there... well I would put the kitchen sink. I would get a very large internal frame pack that has room for everything you are going to bring. The maxpedition packs are cool and so are the 5.11 stuff but a little small for bugging out with everything. Think North Face and spend a couple hundred at least on it. I have had mine for over 18 years and it is still as good as new.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Maxpedition Vulture II for the bag.

Food- Simple, nourishing. Canned tuna, MRE's, Mountain House, etc. Nutrolls!
Water- (Filters, Hydration Bladder, Nalgene, canteens, big bladder)
Shelter- (Hammock, 2 man tent, bivvy sack, sleeping bag)
Tools- Hatchet or Axe, Field Knife, Saw, Multi-tool, matches, lighter, fire steel
Clothing- (hard use, 3 pr. good socks w/ GOOD boots, gloves, hat glasses)
Firearms- (Guns that are common, reliable and useful.)
Communication- Cell/Sat phone, Hand held, Emergency radio
Navigation- Maps of AO, Compass and GPS with routes, tracks and geocache
Medical Kit- Anti-biotics, pain meds, bandages, suture kits, splint, tourniquet
Couple Good books- SAS Survival Guide, The Art of the Rifle

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THere we go.

Sorry, the reason I asked is because a lot of the other threads are so vague. Essentially these lists of stuff to buy, and whatever.

I want specifics. Exact items.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay, so I went and did some reading about the Vulture 2. Can you tell me why that is your suggestion? Do you own one? Can you take some photos and show me how you have it rigged?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I don't have a Vulture, mine is a Blackhawk 3 Day and heavily accessorized with the side packs and a hydration bladder. It's very similar with slightly less room than the Vulture, which is better made and has more attachments and organization. I don't have a digital camera but here are two of them from Trevor Gwynn on the Vulture II and what he has in it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gwynn1975#p/u/5/QV9LjkVawmc
http://www.youtube.com/user/gwynn1975#p/u/7/sI_Ta5pnBi4

Mine is very similar except I have it prepped with 150 oz of water, a filtered bladder and more food as a Bug Out here would not likely be just 3 days for me and would involve negotiating dangerous rivers.

My food is in an air and watertight Rubbermaid Box (16.5" x 11" x 4") commonly found at Wal Mart for $8. It fits perfectly in the middle compartment of most 3 Day packs. 2 different boxes and stoves for different times of the year.

Set it up according to your regional environment. In the cold, along with my pack and Brunton All Fuel Stove, I have a North Slope Safety Outfit w, bibs, parka, hat, gloves and boots. Good for -50 below zero conditions but you don't use it in Arizona during the summer, where you will need 300 oz of water alone for 3 days.

For much of the rest, use the above list as a guideline for what to pack. Take it for a few jaunts and once a year, live out of it for 3 days.

·
Registered
103 Posts
hey, im from central WI too man. I would go to an army navy store if you have one and get whatever decent backpack that you think is big enough for your intended supplies. then look at the gear you need in seperate categories like fire, first aid, food, shelter, water purification. my basics are a quality folder like a kabar, a small hatchet, flint and steel, quality LED flashlight, freeze dried food, ultralight stove or esbit tabs, tarp and knowledge of making shelter with it, 550 paracord, canteen and cup for boiling water, and knife sharpener. those are my most important items i carry and then you can get more id depth from there to suit your personal needs. the most important thing is knowledge of primitive resources, it has cut down the weight of my backpack by probably 15 pounds.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I'm new to the term bug out bag myself. Was watching some dicovery show on alaska which was quite fascinating. It portrayed all of the different classes of people who ended up living and working in that very place together and they, of course, had all come from very different parts of the world and all held very different interests and skill sets. The funny thing was the guy who worked on the ship who never went ANYWHERE without his bob. It was his permanent companion & held a paddle and as I recall some sort of inflatable device or other and considering where he worked it made a hell of a lot of sense. Now THAT was a bag I wanted the exact contents of myself. I have seen no mention of inflatable devices and in a serious type of flood that would be the single item you would HAVE to have-lol.
Nice list akpredator

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
I just got a Maxpedition Falcon 2 for Christmas. Its smaller then the Vulture, but I will use it as a Get Home Bag in the truck and then re-load for a 3-day bug/fight bag as last ditch option.

It's my first piece of Maxpedition gear, and I'm HOOKED. The thing is practically bullet proof.

I'm going to re-work my gear and then organize the pouches and add-on's for the outside.

I may go to Costa Rica in March, so I'm looking at the FLIEGERDUFFEL for that trip. Bookmark the Maxpedition site and put your wallet in the safe.

Go with quality first, so won't have to replace almost everything in the future. Like me. :D: :eek::

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I'm new to the term bug out bag myself. Was watching some dicovery show on alaska which was quite fascinating. It portrayed all of the different classes of people who ended up living and working in that very place together and they, of course, had all come from very different parts of the world and all held very different interests and skill sets. The funny thing was the guy who worked on the ship who never went ANYWHERE without his bob. It was his permanent companion & held a paddle and as I recall some sort of inflatable device or other and considering where he worked it made a hell of a lot of sense. Now THAT was a bag I wanted the exact contents of myself. I have seen no mention of inflatable devices and in a serious type of flood that would be the single item you would HAVE to have-lol.
Nice list akpredator
Alaska Natives (there are 13 tribes) only compose less than a third of the population. We have everything you have in the lower 48: crime, gangs, traffic, illegal immigration, political corruption, special interests, and some pretty strange and bizarre people. But it's a special place, too. I travel frequently and I just shake my head at most places and thank god for where I live and call home.

Here is the link to Alpacka Rafts. www.alpackaraft.com I am getting the unrigged Explorer. They just went up in price. Check out the videos they have. Amazing stuff they do. I have a bunch of boats but I like the idea of being able to carry one on a pack.

Go with quality first, so won't have to replace almost everything in the future. Like me. :D: :eek::
So true. Too bad most people don't realize it.

I have about 20 pieces of gear from Maxpedition. Great stuff. I am still mumbling over a Mongo Versipack as a GHB. They are not real comfy when loaded but everythign is accessible and it would enable me to carry a few more items I like to have and I think it will still fit in my hiding place. MP's searched my ride the other day and didn't find my Jumbo.:D:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts