Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I should call it a medical kit, considering what all I have in there...
I had to go through it today to pull out anything beyond expiration, etc.
Picture heavy.

And all packed up. I use a picnic basket. Yes, it will close after all that is packed in!

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,534 Posts
All this time and I never thought of using an old suitcase for my first aid stuff....:(

your not just a redhead, your a genius redhead:thumb:

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O----kay....here we go...
First Aid Kit Contents

3 drawstring trash bags
5 quart sized ziplock feezer bags
1 box baking soda
1 bottle hydrogen peroxide
1 bottle rubbng alcohol
1 large bottle aspirin
1 bottle hydrocodone (Vicoden) 30 pills
1 tube Icy-Hot
1 box Benadryl Allergy
1 box Benadryl Cold and Sinus
1 box Tylenol PM
1 box Ex-Lax
1 box Imodium (for diarrhea)
1 tube neosporin
1 tube Benadryl cream
1 bottle iodine
1 hot water bottle
1 ice pack bottle
1 pack air filter masks
2 packs electrodes for tens machine
1 portable tens machine (not in pictures--kept in seperate bag)
2 bottles Calomine lotion
1 bottle Lubriderm medicated lotion
1 bottle aloe-vera gel for sunburn
1 bottle Poison Ivy extract (homeopathic remedy)
4 rolls surgical tape
4 rolls cloth tape
2 large rolls gauze bandage
10 gauze pads (large)
10 gauze pads (med.)
10 gauze pads (small)
Large bag of assorted sized Bandaids (approx. 300)
1 bar soap
2 small packs tissue
1 rectal thermometer
1 oral thermometer
1 pocket mask (for administrating mouth to mouth)
1 bag Lactated Ringers Solution (1000 ml.) with necessary tubes, syringes, etc to administer)
4 packs of instant casting materials for setting broken bones (with gloves and instructions)
1 bag cotton balls
10 adhesive removal pads
25 alcohol pads
1 Epi-pen
1 bottle Visine
1 bottle Clear eyes
1 bottle Lice shampoo
1 tube Ora-gel
1 bottle Oil of Cloves
1 tube anti-fungal cream
1 candle
1 lighter
1 pack of matches (in ziplock w/lighter and candle)
1 EENT light (you know, the little light the doc uses to look in your ears and nose, etc.)

I have another kit that has my surgical supplies. Yes, I have a small kit that includes sutures, and a few items necessary to perform minor surgical procedures.

A nurse friend supplies me with this kit:

Dehydration can kill faster than most anything else when someone is sick or injured. If you can possibly get this for your own FAK, do so, BUT GET TRAINING IN HOW TO USE IT!
I cannot emphasis that enough.
ANYTHING in your FAK....ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you should be familiar with and know the proper use of.

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again...I have had training in the use of my suture kit, minor surgery (draining abscesses, removing necrotic tissue around wounds, etc.) kit and my i.v. kit.
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE TRAINING, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT!

I suggest, if you wish to be able to perform medical care after SHTF for yourself, your family or others--take an EMT course, or whatever emergency medicine course you can find in your area. The cost is small when someday your life (or the life of a loved one) could depend on it!

·
viam inveniam aut faciam
205 Posts
That is one nice FAK! FYI: A good improvised way at keeping your fluids cool; place them in a soaking wet sock. The evaporation of the water pulls the heat out of the bags, and you've also got yourself one nice hanger. ;)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Do you have any antibiotics? some broad spectrum would be a great addition to this pack. I wouldn't even consider doing any kind of surgery without antibiotics at hand. Also, if someone is so dehydrated they might die, 1 bag of ringers isn't going to touch it. I'd get hold of some Saline and more ringers.

How many canulae do you carry? A selection is always good... Do you have anything for sterilisation, if you're contemplating carrying out minor surgeries, gowns/masks/drapes would be a must.

Dioralyte is also very very useful.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
use caution because the meds and IV's do go out of date.. and especially the epi pens have a very short life span..........

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Perhaps you could put water proof spray on your basket. I use a rubbermaid tote that looks lihe a foot locker because it is waterproof. You have no idea how many times I been rained out while camping. 6 that I can think of and once my tent got 2 feet of water. Those trunks saved me as I also put our clothing in them while camping

1 - 20 of 22 Posts