Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the emergency lighting kit that I built for my family. This is designed for when the power goes down and is kept in the coat closet off the entry way. We also take it camping with us for lighting. About three years ago I went away from candles so that I did not have to worry about my children and fire hazards if I had to leave the house for a little bit.

The top flash light is a 180 Lumen LED light. A pack of 3 with 9 AAA batteries was bought at Costco for $20. This flash light has a thumb switch with on, brighter and strobe settings. These are some of the best tactical lights for the money that I have ever found.

The 3 triangle LED lights were also bought at Costco for $20. They run off of 2 AA batteries and each one will light up a dark room well enough to work in. We have had these for 3 years now and the original batteries are still in them and have well over 100 hours on them.

The battery charger and all the rechargeable batteries were also bought at Costco for $18. The charger plugs right into a wall socket.

The Inverter plugs into the cigarette lighter in a vehicle or has cables with clamps to hook directly to a lead acid battery. The cables are under the first foam layer. This inverter was just upgraded today for $39. I used to have an 80 watt inverter in here. This is a 300 watt inverter and has a USB plug in. In emergencies or when camping I use my vehicle for charging my batteries. While driving I keep the inverter plugged in and charge my batteries. I also charge my 18 volt cordless drill batteries this way.

The last little light is just to the left of the inverter is a small light that clips over the ear. This little LED light is great for hands free use and has a secondary green map light that you can also switch to.

The case is just an older pistol case that you can pick up through just about any sporting goods supplier for around $20.

Anyhow, this is my approach to an Emergency Lighting Kit.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nice looking kit, I like how you have it organized and ready to grab and go. Much better than looking around in closets and digging for lights and batteries like most of us do.

Be very careful what you plug into the inverter. Because of the square sine waves it produces it will fry some electronics. Only plug laptops into pure sine wave output.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice looking kit, I like how you have it organized and ready to grab and go. Much better than looking around in closets and digging for lights and batteries like most of us do.

Be very careful what you plug into the inverter. Because of the square sine waves it produces it will fry some electronics. Only plug laptops into pure sine wave output.
This started because my youngest child thinks flashlights are the coolest toys. He would constantly loose them or leave them on, no matter how much he got in trouble for it. This way I can keep lights where I know where they are at and he knows nothing of the box. :D:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nice setup! I like the idea of keeping everything in one place. I have about a zillion flashlights but can never find one when I need it....

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I suggest you throw some energizer lithium batteries in there. With a 10 - 15 year self life, why not?

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
Good kit.

Not my preference but it looks practical and won't break the bank. I've found that cheap lights <$20 are great for using inside the house and for emergency bug-in use.

Out in the bush I'd want a more reliable light though. One that I'm not afraid to drop or dunk in water.

Also I notice you have some NiMH Duracell rechargeables in there. Be advised that they lose energy on their own over time. You may reach for they in a year and find they are depleted without having been used.

I like it.

Ballpark on total $$$?

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
Very cool kit indeed. :thumb:

I just stocked up on a bunch of energizer rechargeable's (AA,AAA,D,C and 9v) and the universal charger.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A very good idea, congratulations. Is always useful to have lights at hand for emergencies. I have something similar, although not so elaborate, but with a foldable solar panel for recharge my Li-Ion/Ni-Mh batteries.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good kit.

Not my preference but it looks practical and won't break the bank. I've found that cheap lights <$20 are great for using inside the house and for emergency bug-in use.

Out in the bush I'd want a more reliable light though. One that I'm not afraid to drop or dunk in water.

Also I notice you have some NiMH Duracell rechargeables in there. Be advised that they lose energy on their own over time. You may reach for they in a year and find they are depleted without having been used.

I like it.

Ballpark on total $$$?
. Approximately $100 total into this package. It is constantly evolving, as I upgrade.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts