Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my second post here, I would like everyone to critique my daypack that I also plan on using as a BOB, if need be. It stays in my vehicle at all times (except hot months, where I try to keep it in cooler places).

My setup:

Kelty Redwing (sage green)
Patagonia Rain Shadow rain pants
North Face Venture rain jacket
Digital ACU Boonie hat
Gaiters
Hi-Tec Altitude IV (tied to back)
2 Nalgene bottles in outside mesh pockets
2 packs of Aqua Mira
Small bottle of Iodine tablets (as a last resort...the Aqua Mira is my go-to)
1600ML MSR Stowaway pot which contains:
  • Pepsi can stove & windscreen
  • Small bottle of fuel (denatured alcohol)
  • Lighter
  • Mylar blanket
  • Utensil kit
  • pocket knife
3 days worth of MREs
bag of GORP (goes a long toward morale)
2 pairs of backpacking socks (wigwam, breathable)
Small waterproof baggie which contains:
  • Lighter
  • Waterproof matches
  • Compass
  • Maps of region, topo, road, and aerial.
  • Whistle
  • Pocket Knife
Garmin Etrex on lanyard
Spare AA & AAA batteries in waterproof bag
Large (gallon size) waterproof bag which contains:
  • First aid kit
  • 4 pair of latex gloves
  • QuickClot
  • Various first aid medications (Benadryl, Aspirin, etc)
  • Deet bug spray
  • Medical face mask (3)
  • Length of paracord
  • Knife
  • pen and paper
  • A book (Cures the ultimate evile..boredom! I switch it up every few months...now its Dave Grossman's On Combat
In another quart size baggie contains:
  • Wax dipped cottonballs
  • dryer lint
  • Lighter
  • Matches
  • Paracord
  • Metal wire
  • 4 nails
  • pocket knife
MSR hubba hubba tent (at 4lbs, and the folding size of a soccer ball, no reason not to take it)
Glock Field Knife w/ root saw
ka-bar TDI LE knife (mounted on shoulder strap)
Dog Leash
Gallon bag of dog food
Spare plastic baggies
2 lawn bags
Extra compass
Signal mirror
Extra maps
Gerber Suspension multi-tool
Stinger LED flashlight
Several key lights
2 headlamps (black diamond and an energizer brand)
Film bottle fishing kit (wrapped in usable duct tape)
SAR strobe w/ IR that is hooked on the outside

I think that about sums it up. Alot of people give me heck for carrying alot of stuff in a day pack, but I have been lost before and this is all stuff I could have and have used. (If I am hiking, several of this stuff stays in the car IE extra clothes, tent, kitchen kit etc etc)

If it is a SHTF scenario, I also have a carrier for my vest that has pockets filled with extra Glock mags, AR mags, first aid kit, radio, and flashlight that I carry with me in the car with the pack. I have worn both at the same time and you really cant feel the weight of the vest. (I may change my tune after hiking 15 miles or so with it)

Any input is well appreciated.

·
Forum Administrator
16,776 Posts
Looks like you have your act together.

What kind of compass do you use? Is it a map or lensatic, brand name? The maps, are those the Department of defense topo maps?

·
Survivorman
199 Posts
You should add Pool chlorine tablets. They can purify 5000 galons of water. Put the whole tablet into a bucket of contaminated water let it sit about a hour stirring it around. Take the chlorine out and let it sit for a while to let chlorine wear off and to let it disinfect.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If you could spare the weight, a small MSR stove would be nice. Some models are light, and they don't take up that much room. It's handy if it's a downpour, or you have no suitable wood. And yes, I know you can find some dry wood even in a downpour, but usually not that much. It also helps to save energy to for building shelter, and it makes you less visible.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have MSR Pocket Rocket for summer trips for ease of use.

For winter I use MSR Whisperlite International but carry a repair kit and carry it as an O-ring dried out once after years of use and made the stove useless until I got back home where my repair kit was sitting :(

·
Survivorman
199 Posts
I was thinking about the msr superfly for camping, I probley wont use it that much. Right now I cary a esbit stove they work good for boiling small amounts of water and cooking soup.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Kev- I have a lensatic and a smaller map compass (walmart). I dont know the brands. Also, my maps are USGS topo maps and a state map.

Leam-Thanks, thats something I havent even considered.

Pauly- My pepsi can stove has been used and used and never failed me. It works rain or shine with the windscreen/potholder. Plus its super light weight.
I used it when I did the Smokies section of the AT and it worked every night.

I have looked into the whisperlite though as a back up. Buddy of mine carried one on our last overnighter. I was impressed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the MBD Backfly#1 from minidulldesigns. I use it with my Heineken pot kit. Works great. If you get one, make sure you order extra wicks with it and a windscreen. It takes a little practice adjusting the wick the proper height at first to get the proper heat you want. Two settings... high and simmer by adjusting the wick. It takes about 15 minutes to boil water in a Heineken pot. I tested it in 27 degrees with a 8 - 17 mph wind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts