·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres my collection.
1. pellet gun air rifle
2. 20. ga shotgun
3. .357 magnum pistol
4. soon to get remington 700 sps 30-06 its color is all black.

my question to you guys is what do you think of this. should i add to it.and/or what should i add to it.

***if you have an account on this forum LEAVE A COMMENT***

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Head over to the jockey lot and see the ammo guy. great prices (or used to be) on reloads. quality is excellent too.

get there early and see about picking up a shotgun in pump 12ga and look at ordering an ar or ak.

sometimes you can get a good deal on other calibers there too. :)

Reactions: clemsonguy81

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
im gonna stay with the 30-06. and a .22????? wht would i use that for?
Well, I mentioned the cost, which is about 2-4 cents per round, if you go cheapo, versus 40-100 (or more) cents per round for 30-06. I have gotten tons of range time with many thousands of rounds through my .22 for very little money. This has helped my aim and gun safety skills tremendously, I think.

Where I live, a .22 is very handy for head shots on squirrels, bunnies, perched birds, etc. These are all meat animals, for which using a 30-06 would be inappropriate. Also, given how cheap a bolt action .22 is, why not buy one? If you have kids or might in the future, the .22 is a very good way of teaching basics of firearms use, as well as for teaching adults who are unfamiliar with firearms. My .22 is also very light and compact, which means I can carry it on backpacking trips without constantly complaining about the weight of the gun plus ammo. If I didn't have a .22, I probably wouldn't be carrying a rifle at all.

HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well where you live and i live is very diffrent. a .22 would be awsome if i had the money. but i dont and the money i do have is going to my 30-06. i found a very nice looking remmy 700 for only $501.as i was talking about earlier i have a shotgun and my dad has a .357 pistol. see for squrril hunting i would use my shotgun which is only 20 gauge. i could possibley sell my 20. gauge then get a .22. which is better for small game .22 or 20 ga. shotgun?

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Well look at that; HS and I agree on something for once.
He's right a good .22 is a great SHTF rifle.
But that also depends on your pellet rifle really.
There isn't much a really good pellet rifle can't do in a wooded area that a .22 can at short range.
If your pellet rifle is a Daisy that only does 500 fps then get a .22 as well.
If it's a nicer one that does over 700 fps you might be fine.
As for the shotgun vs .22 debate that depends on the game and your capabilities really. Also how much do you like picking shot out of your dinner?

The .308 vs '06 issue is one of availability in my mind.
What do the stores around you carry?
What is the price difference regionally?
Our military and some police units use .308.
There seems to be this pervasive mentality that the military will be abandoning huge quantities of their ammo in place for us to just go pick up.
It may happen now and then but I sure as hell wouldn't count on it.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
well where you live and i live is very diffrent. a .22 would be awsome if i had the money. but i dont and the money i do have is going to my 30-06. i found a very nice looking remmy 700 for only $501.as i was talking about earlier i have a shotgun and my dad has a .357 pistol. see for squrril hunting i would use my shotgun which is only 20 gauge. i could possibley sell my 20. gauge then get a .22. which is better for small game .22 or 20 ga. shotgun?
This isn't very helpful, but actiually a .22 and a 20 gauge are both incredibly useful. I have a stevens .22 and a "pardner" 20 gauge, both of which are great, lightweight backpacking guns, and which can get many of the same kinds of meat. Today, my 20 gauge got a very large bunny, at about 15 yards in the dusk, and with almost no meat spoilage--only a few pellets hit the thing but they definitely killed it! I might not have hit that bunny with a .22.

So, both are great. In a survival situation, such as bug out for several months, I would have to go with the 20 gauge since having lots of little projectiles increases your chances of a kill over one little projectile, and at greater ranges than is the case with a pellet gun. 20 gauge shells are heavy, which is a drawback for me, but it's pretty much a certain kill of the turkey, bunny, grouse, pheasant, etc. with every shot, provided I can get close enough.

HippieSurvivalist

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
why is a .308 better than a 30-06. their practicley identacle. they would most likley bring down the same game too.
The .308 is a short action, where the 30-06 is a long action. Short actions tend to be slightly more accurate because they are a shorter, stronger action. The 308 and the 06 will do everything the same ballistics. Same bullet and basically the same velocities. But if you reload the 308 uses less powder to do the same job. Plus 308 is a NATO round and would possibly be easier to find if TSHTF.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
So, I'll admit a point of ignorance here: what is the difference between short and long action? I think of the "action" as being the space and the mechanism that is required to get the round in the chamber, such as a lever action using a different mechanism than a bolt action. Can you explain short vs long, in terms that my simple mind will understand?

HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
So, I'll admit a point of ignorance here: what is the difference between short and long action? I think of the "action" as being the space and the mechanism that is required to get the round in the chamber, such as a lever action using a different mechanism than a bolt action. Can you explain short vs long, in terms that my simple mind will understand?

HippieSurvivalist
That's about it really.
The action referred to it the bolt and receiver.
Long is as it sounds, longer.
'06, 300 mag 375 mag etc.
Short is a shorter bolt and receiver, .308, .243, etc.
Then you can get into the ultra short actions.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
That's about it really.
The action referred to it the bolt and receiver.
Long is as it sounds, longer.
'06, 300 mag 375 mag etc.
Short is a shorter bolt and receiver, .308, .243, etc.
Then you can get into the ultra short actions.
Short actions are also quicker to operate since the bolt doesn't have to travel as far to eject or pick up the next round as a long action.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts

HippieSurvivalist
Hippie think of it this way, some rounds are short, like the 308 and some are long like the 30-06, the gun needs to be able to fit the round in its action. you can make a long action work with a short round but its inefficent, however you cant make a long round fit in a short action... the easiest way to envision this is on a bolt action rifle the opening where you feed the rounds down into the gun is where the length of the action is determined, the area that opens when you open the bolt...
does that help?

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Well look at that; HS and I agree on something for once.
He's right a good .22 is a great SHTF rifle.
But that also depends on your pellet rifle really.
There isn't much a really good pellet rifle can't do in a wooded area that a .22 can at short range.
If your pellet rifle is a Daisy that only does 500 fps then get a .22 as well.
If it's a nicer one that does over 700 fps you might be fine.
As for the shotgun vs .22 debate that depends on the game and your capabilities really. Also how much do you like picking shot out of your dinner?

The .308 vs '06 issue is one of availability in my mind.
What do the stores around you carry?
What is the price difference regionally?
Our military and some police units use .308.
There seems to be this pervasive mentality that the military will be abandoning huge quantities of their ammo in place for us to just go pick up.
It may happen now and then but I sure as hell wouldn't count on it.
it isnt that they will be abandoning it... it's that it may be made available, charitably or forcibly... if we are fending off a common foe or salvaging it from corpses... I HOPE nobody is so ignorant as to believe that the term "ammo dump" is literally a dump for disposing of ammo,,,

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Is he still selling, last time I went there he was all dried up!
Sure hope not! was gonna go see him and/or his wife as she keeps a booth there too when he is at the one at the intersection of SC highway 3 and 4. Guess I need to give him a call.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.