Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 522 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Nice lifts, but it's hard for me to imagine your Military's not being any higher, with your close grips being so high, it doesn't seem to fit. Maybe it's just me, my close grips haven't been that high in a while, of course I don't do them much either, but my Military's are higher.

I'm going to have to get myself one of those Ab Wheels!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The side effect of the ab wheel, which I do to the exclusion of all other ab work now, is my chronic low back pain, caused from an injury when I was in high school, has reduced my low back pain by 98%. I couldn't be happier with this low tech and inexpensive little gadget. :thumb:
That alone would make it worth it's weight in gold to me..now I KNOW I'm getting one! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I like that improvisation, it would work well for me when working nights and it;s quiet.. I could grab a few flanges and put a towel thru them....I like that idea, thank you.

Also I like to make like I'm trying to touch my shoulder with my pinkie at the top of the curl for a full flex.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Advice from a old weight lifter. Don't wear out your joints, there is no point to taxing your joints (unless its your job and you are making pro football money). I stay fit now light weights (Im talking lite with high reps), and hiking with pack (wrapped knees). Wish I wouldn't have pushed my body so hard when I was young.
Follow chris rocks advice.

I hear you about the wearing out the joints, and I'm no doctor so take it for what it's worth, but I'm a firm believer that nutrition has a lot to do with that. That and the way you lift the heavy weights. Over tight wraps, quarter/half reps and some other "great training methods" I've seen over the years are no more than a recipe to get yourself hurt.
I've been fortunate I guess never having sustained a major injury, but I take my vitamins religiously and do not use steroids (another major factor). Granted some will say "he uses DHEA" *gasp* and yes I do. I buy it over the counter at wally world, real bad stuff huh.
Anyway, thank you.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I have a couple herds that hang around all summer, but we haven't seen them this season and I have only 5 more days. The last three, if I don't see anything over the weekend are going to be frantic! :D:

This place is a dream come true! Tiny (850sq ft) but off the grid and isolated. We love living here with propane for power along with a wood cookstove. Life is pretty good on the old homestead, other than keeping the deer and elk chased out of the garden..:xeye: But I walk out the front door and can walk for 25 miles through the woods before coming to another paved road!

Wow, that does sound like paradise..

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Not sure what my bodyfat % is, I can see some abs most of the time but it fluctuates, from fairly visible to semi.

Your partner sounds like a monster, 275 with 20" arms, damn.... I had a partner like that, we went back and fourth when he cycled on and off the roids. He'd go off the roids, get ****ed that I would out lift him on everything instead of some things, and go back on them.

I admit I too tend to let other things slide so I can keep the bench and dumbbell work ahead of the young guys.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I'm feeling a little weak right now as well. I was feeling bad looking at your close grip lifts, and now I'm feeling worse...:(
All I was good for was 275X6X1, move my hands out to bench range and I'm good for sets of 10, but my close grip is lacking.

You may feel weak, but your lifts are well above average. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
My partner is coming on too, darn it! :xeye: After not lifting for 4 months, he did the same 325 with a regular bench grip for 9 singles. 3 singles with 30 seconds rest, then 4 minutes rest and three more and so on. We were both lamenting how we are handling weights we've done for 10-12 reps in the not too distant past.... :(
Sounds like you guys work well together, I had that once upon a time, but it's been years. Guys our age, by and large, aren't into working out, much less working out hard.

I whine about the days gone by many times (to myself only) when I leave the gym or have a bad day. The old we get the faster it goes and the harder it is to get back. I'm hoping to get promoted to a full days job so I can carry that on out to retirement, AND workout more!

Great job Flattop :thumb:

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
A 425 close grip is outstanding, hell, a 300lb CG is outstanding. Most guys can't bench 300, much less close grip it.

Oh no way, I've got to keep hitting it, if for nothing else to keep those young punks in line..

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
17" Close grip bench
140x12
240x12
250x6 sets of 2 (speed work)
Military Press
120x8
135x8
160x8
Bent Row
135x12
155x12
Ab wheel
15 kneeling
5 standing
I'm assuming "speed work" is blasting off the chest? If so do you ever get shoulder pain from that? I did that for a while and it bother the heck out of my shoulders, I had to quit. From the research I did I think it was the force exerted to blast it forcefully off the bottom that caused some joint damage/pain. If you do the math the numbers are incredibly high on the joints.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
17" Close grip bench
140x12
240x7
290x7
290x7
290x7
Dips
BWx2x7
60#x10
EZ bar curls
70x10
100x10

CGs were fine, same with dips. I was pleased when curls didn't hurt, two weeks in a row. I'll keep easing upward with them as long as my forearm is pain free.
:confused: Did I iss the part where you got injured? Forearm pain? What happened, your lifts look good, weight wise..

1 - 20 of 522 Posts