Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Libertarian
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't been reading on these boards long but they sure have taught me a lot. I have just finished my bug out bag for the most part, and would like to share for comments/suggestions. This is a kit that would be able to keep my alive for at least a week maybe longer.

Bag: UTG Ranger Duffle has backpack straps and is waterproof

Side Pocket #1:
-Fixed Blade Knife
-Emergency Poncho
-75' Nylon Rope
-Map of my state
-Survival Whistle, Waterproof Container (with matches), Compass & Flint
-1 Roll of Duct Tape
-1 Emergency Crank Flashlight
-1 Pair Leather Palm Work Gloves
-1 12 Hour Glow Stick

Inside Pocket:-Army Field Survival Manual
-Memo Pad
-2009 Daily Planner
-2 Ink Pens & 1 Pencil

Side Pocket #2:
-1 MRE
-12 Emergency Ration 400 Calorie Food Bars

Main Compartment:
-4 MREs
-12 8.45oz Water Blox
-1 6'x8' Tarp
-1 Army Mosquito Net
-1 Small Storage Bin:
-2 16 Hour Body Warmers
-2 Survival Sleeping Bags
-6 Pair Earplugs
-Safety Glasses
-Lighter
-1 Swiss Army Knife
-Magnesium Flint Rod Fire Starter
-50 Waterproof Matches
-Small Plastic Cup
-1 Can Lubricant
-36 hour oil candle
-8 pc. Bungee Cord Set
-1 Nalgene Bottle With 250 Water Purification Tablets
-Tube Tent
-2 Bottles Hand Sanitizer
-Coffee Filters
-Cotton Balls
-Velcro Cable Ties
-Zip Ties
-Trash Bags
-Radio with batteries
-Sewing Kit
-Glasses Repair Kit
-Deck of Cards
-3 Emergency Candles
-2 Respirators
-2 Bandannas
-Knife Sharpeners
-1 Small Storage Bin:
-1 Can of Bug Spray
-Sunscreen SPF50
-Tea Bags
-Flax Seed Bags
-Emergency Poncho
-Extra Glasses/Contacts/Contact Solution
-Hygiene Kit - Maxi Pads, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Shampoo, Soap, Floss, Hand Soap, Toilet Paper, Tissues, Deodorant, Wet Wipes, Razer, Nail Trimmer, Comb, Wash Cloth, Camping Towel
-Baking Soda
-Mess Kit
-Condoms
-Alumn. Foil
-Hobo Knife/Fork Spoon Combo
-First Aid Kit - Super Glue, Eye Drops, Chapstick, Surgical Tape, Gauze, Cough Drops, Laxative, Allergy Medicine, Q-Tips, Burn Cream, Sting Relief, Insect Bit Relief, Lip Ointment, Antibiotic Ointment, 42pc. Bandage Set, Gloves, Splints, Antacids, Non-Aspirins

What do you think? It's pretty complete, I read through tons of threads on the forum to make my list. It's not really that heavy either I could carry it on my back for a while if I had to. I plan on keeping 5 loaded 30 round mags for my AR with another 150 rounds to reload all 5 mags but that won't always go with me and the BOB. I also have a Midland XT511 Base Camp Radio on the way. I need to get a 1L Nalgene and a 5-1 Survival Shovel/Hatchet/Saw ect. I also would like to assemble a small fishing kit to take with me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A few things I would add if it were mine...

Unlubricated condoms...carries water, keeps dirt out of things, prevents pregnancy
Multi-fuel camp stove w/ fuel bottle
Water filter

·
Registered
21 Posts
ok you got me how in the hell do you use them as a water filter?

A few things I would add if it were mine...

Unlubricated condoms...carries water, keeps dirt out of things, prevents pregnancy
Multi-fuel camp stove w/ fuel bottle
Water filter

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
This item is good for fishing. Carry this, some small hooks, a fake lure or two, and a bit of 8lb line.

http://rockingaltd.com/mfish.html

Alot of places sell them. Most states fishing regs don't allow automatic reels, check with yours. Some states limit the number you can use (2 is common). OF course, SHTF is different. With these yoyo's, just tie em up to a hanging branch unwind them a bit. When the mechanism feels a bite, the spring pulls the line and sets the hook. Pretty cheap too.

I would add a spare set of underlayer clothing. I like the army surplus ECWS poly sweatpants and shirt. For about $20 bucks, they do the job of other stuff that cost $100, and are a low key color. Depends If your area gets cold. Also, get a tick puller If your area has a deer tick problem. Remove a tick improperly, then you need to get some antibiotics. Don't forget a field cleaning kit for you AR. Maybe a few snares for small game traps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Add something metal to cook in and purify water. You see loads of guerilla fighters and partisans over history carrying and valuing a tin cup.

·
Registered
801 Posts
EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE!!!

So where the heck are you going?

I would get a DELORME MAP for your area as it will have every road, trail, waterbody etc. on it... you may not be able to take the route you planned.... and you damned well better have a place to go that wants you!

I'm dumbfounded as to why anyone would live someplace they might need to leave in a hurry.

My advice: grab the bag, pack your **** and leave now while you can establish yourself in a new community that is safer and meet some nice rural folks who might find you useful enough to tolerate.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
:wow that looks good. i didnt see it but it may have been there lol you got so much :eek: but the only thing i could possably find is maybe some 20ga wire and some nylon string for rabbit snares/traps.

it really looks pretty well complete i would expand the 1st aid kit a bit more. im going to look at it more to get some ideas for mine :thumb:
only 1 more thing i would add is vitamins at least a multi vitamin, vitamin C, a antitoxin ,and anti-diarrhea you never know what diseases may be out there. best place to get vitamins is here but wait until summer they will have a special buy 1 get 2 free
http://www.puritan.com/?AFID=11&SAFID=3713&sc=3713&edid=QFH84V-M9XZTP-5CQ8P-PRVJ2

·
Libertarian
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that's guys, i added a wire camping saw, and a magnifying glass. It's my car/home kit, i will be taking it with me in the trunk on long trips and i'm not making a seperate pack for my vehicle. I don't really have anywhere to go, it's just there incase of a disaster natural or manmande. If I had to leave I think I would be ok with this kit

·
Libertarian
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Here is a better list of what I've got in my bug out bag. What's in yellow is stuff that I haven't got yet.

I also included the list of what I keep permanently the car. The stuff on the second sheet is part of my vehicle bug out bag, but will stay in the car at all times. The actual bug out bag will go with my in my car if I'm going anywhere.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
My perspective: Your kit looks great. I would however recommend going with a different ruck. I think that pack will pay the bills, but I don't think its going to feel very good after about ten or twenty miles - if you had to hump it. I'd go for a good internal fram pack, perhaps the Marine ILBE or an after market setup. If you disagree with me, test my theory. Take what you have on a long hike and see how it feels. My guess is that it won't do anything to transfer the weight to your hips, it'll start to rub where it shouldn't, and all the weight will start riding down around your lower back. Remember, if you do bugout, you're probably not going to the next door neighbors. Know where you'd go and put in some training hikes on a regular basis.

One other note: Once you go on the road with a BB, you become a refugee. Some survivalists talk about "shooting" scavengers if they "get too close to my stash". I think leaving your place of shelter is a last resort. Now that you have a good BB, I'd start storing food/water/provisions at your place of residence. It may not be ideal, but it should keep the rain off your back.

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
I am glad to see that someone has read and put to use some of the wisdom that others have posted. I too would like to hear about how it has functioned for you after a little outing.

·
Libertarian
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I might have to give it a try one weekend. And I live at home and my parent's aren't on board with preparation so they refuse to store food or water. I plan on ditching them if SHTF...and yes i doubt it would be very comfortable with it on my back for any length of time.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
... why anyone would want to leave in a hurry (response to Raptor 45)

Well, an example of having to evacuate from where they live, not matter how safe it is normally would be in my situation. We own a home just one mile (east) from the major CSX north-south freight rail line running from Chattanooga, TN to Atlanta, GA. In the event of a train derailment and the release of any number of possible poisonous chemicals, our lives would be endangered and we would have to evacuate immediately.

We also live just two blocks (west) of I-75. Trucks carry many dangerous substances. A truck wreck caused by weather, driver falling asleep or poor driving by truckers or four wheelers could could to a crash and chemical release.

So major local, state and interstate highways and rail lines are probable sources of evacuation triggers no matter where you live, especially in the suburbs of a major urban area (Atlanta) as where we live.

This is why my wife and I are actively seeking rural property farther out of the city in the mountains.

EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE!!!

I'm dumbfounded as to why anyone would live someplace they might need to leave in a hurry.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Matthiasj,

I think you've got a well prepped bag, but can I make one major suggestion?

I would definitely look into purchasing a quality backpack. You will not want to carry that by hand any significant distance if you had to.

·
Libertarian
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Matthiasj,

I think you've got a well prepped bag, but can I make one major suggestion?

I would definitely look into purchasing a quality backpack. You will not want to carry that by hand any significant distance if you had to.
Well I thought about a large Alice Pack with frame but the bag i have has shoulder straps for backpack carrying. It would be rough but I could carry it for a little while at least

1 - 20 of 20 Posts