Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m eonomic (read cheap) and try to live frugally. Since buckets would set me back at least $2 and they can be gotten for free from local bakeries and pizzerias I get them there. Then spend $0.02 on soap and wash the used ones out and spend the remaining $1.98 on something to put in the buckets.
So now I´m waiting for mylar while the buckets pile up in my closet. In the buckets I keep glass jars I save for canning and when I went to put yet another jar in the other day I felt a foul smell from the bucket.
It didn´t smell putrid or rancid but bad anyway. Could it be the air going stale in the buckets? Does this happen to you? Or do you store buckets with the lids off?

·
Unseen
667 Posts
Deffinitely store with lids off, and wash again before filling. There will still be moisture in the buckets when you put the lids on, and that moisture can lead to mold or other musty smelling bacteria growth. You may not be able to see it, but if it smells... something aint right!

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
I would wash them out with bleach and then use a paste of baking soda to neutralize the odor and let it sit for a bit before rinsing.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Plastic absorbs products

Any bucket will leave residue from contents in the plastic walls. You probably want to use a bleach solution to soak in the buckets before you use them. After the bleach you may also have to use a baking soda solution to take up any odors left behind.

It is good you are getting food grade buckets. never use any bucket used for chemical storage.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I think it depends what was stored in the buckets sometimes the soap doesn't get rid of the smell from the previous contents. I used to get olive and pickle barrels and soap didn't get the smell out. Try this process and see if it works for you.
Fill the buckets with hot water and dissolved a cup of baking soda in each. Stir well, Fill bucket to the top. Put the bucket in the sun to keep it warm so the plastic pores stay open as much as possible. In a couple of days come back and empty the buckets. Rinse them out, fill with warm water again and add about two cups of bleach and reseal. Put back in the sun for another couple of days. Empty out and let dry with the tops off.

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There will still be moisture in the buckets when you put the lids on
I forgot to mention ths but I let them dry for 48+ hours, lids off.
Any bucket will leave residue from contents in the plastic walls.
The pizza guy gave me a bucket two weeks ago that he obviusly stored onions in. Had to toss that one. A shame really, a good three gallon bucket but the smell... The one I got from from the bakery today stills smells but very, very good.

So: wash again, baking soda and lids off. Got it!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Here's what I find works to get out a bad odor.

1) Wash with bleach. Rinse well and dry completely.

2) Pour a liberal amount of baking soda, and then add newspaper. Open the newspaper sheets and then stuff quite a bit in the pail. I don't know why, but it works better that way. :)

3) Put the top on loosely (also washed with bleach), and let it sit for a few days.

Good luck!

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Get that cheap orange oil soap from the 99 cent stores.

It's called "Awesome"

This stuff cuts and cleans everything, including enriched uranium.

T

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I also leave mine sitting for a couple of weeks before I use them. Time, as much as anything else, will get rid of the smell.

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get that cheap orange oil soap from the 99 cent stores.
It's called "Awesome"
T
I´ll take the 3000 mile stroll to the 99 cent store then... *check my location*

About bleach, I´m not to fond of it from an envoiromental stand point so I´ll go with baking soda...and of course, as maurepas said, time.

·
Geriatric Gladiator
682 Posts
Cut a fresh lemon in half and wipe the sides of the can with it. That should fix just about any stray smile.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
...About bleach, I´m not to fond of it from an envoiromental stand point so I´ll go with baking soda...and of course, as maurepas said, time.
I have 4 gallon buckets that I get from the local bakery. They originally contained chocolate or vanilla frosting so they smell like sugar. I worry about things growing in them.

I have used a lemon scented cleaner and a pine scented cleaner and neither will take the smell out. The pine cleaner seems to work a little better. The ones in my closet still smell like sugar but have not gone foul.

With two of them I dissolved half a pound of baking soda in about two gallons of piping hot tap water and let it sit for two days. I swished them around occasionally. That seemed to get most of the sugar smell out. I guess more soda would get more smell out but I am also 'economic'.

I would wash them out with bleach and then use a paste of baking soda to neutralize the odor and let it sit for a bit before rinsing.
How do you make the paste? Just one to one water and soda?

How much would you suggest using on a 4 or 5 gallon bucket?

Thanks

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With two of them I dissolved half a pound of baking
I suppose I could get the baking soda cosiderably cheaper than my closest grocery shop but there it is $10/pound so buyig buckets wolu be cheaper. If half a pound really is what it takes I mean...

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
I suppose I could get the baking soda cosiderably cheaper than my closest grocery shop but there it is $10/pound so buyig buckets wolu be cheaper. If half a pound really is what it takes I mean...
I weighed it on my kitchen scale. In another thread it was suggested I use a pound. I was not too worried about getting all the smell out so I tried less.

I can get the stuff a lot cheaper than $10/lb. The open bin (bulk) store at my market sells if for about $1.50, I think, and I read you can get for as low as $0.33 in the US but I do not know if that is true. Next time I am down there I think I will ask them how the bin store gets it. I would be happy to buy a ten or twenty pound sack; especially if they would give me a deal. I think home wine and beer making places sell it for removing smell and taste from carboys and such. "Health food" and other nature nut stores might carry it since it has so many cleaning uses. A little googling turns up some hints that the stuff is not used much in Sweden and hard to get. It is really amazing what you can find on the Internet.

Borax has some of the same properties. If you can find that for cheap you might give it a try.

I almost never have newspaper here. The next time one winds up here I will give it a shot.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
How do you make the paste? Just one to one water and soda?

How much would you suggest using on a 4 or 5 gallon bucket?

Thanks
I've never actually measured. I just get it to the consistency of cake frosting with a bit of water. Apply it liberally and let it sit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts