Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my M10 masks and how excited I was! I start to promptly put the little buggers together and...sigh. There is a piece I am not familiar with. I was in the Army (20 yrs ago) and remember well having to use these things. But I can not identify a piece that came with it. It looks important!
It's like a screw cap of some kind (though I don't think it actually screw into anyplace) and is about 1 1/2 inch long and looks like there is an actual screw of some sort in it behind a white flat piece.
I have checked all the military manuals I have (and I thought I had them all!) and have even tried googling it. All to no avail.
For those of you who may have this mask (got it from cheaperthandirt), can you tell me what this piece is for? I got one for each mask but I am lost with it.

Are there any instructions anywhere for these?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Are you referring to the East German M10 gas mask? It is a copy of the M17 but is pretty old. Mostly coming out Czech Republic and other former eastern block countries. I have some as collectables but would not use one due to condition of the rubber.

I also dont' like the fact that you have to remove the mask completely to change the filters and you have two, one in each cheek piece. Tube may be a drinking filter attachment like used on US masks and some new German Draeger masks.

If you can post a picture.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how to post pics to the board. The filters are easy for me. It's the same kind of mask issued to me when I was in the Army (and if you don't want snot running out your nose, you learn REAL QUICK how to put your filters in).
Anyway, I fit it to my head and it works great. So I don't know what that piece is or where it should go. I looked at the stock picture and it's not showing in that either.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I've never seen the piece your referring to and I've handled more than a few of the M10 type series.

If you've already installed the filters, be sure to seal the mask inside a heavy plastic bag. That's the trick to having masks like this (m17 type masks) ready to go- install your filters ahead of time then seal the mask in a plastic bag. When the time to don the mask comes, just tear the bag open. Better than having to install the filters at the last minute or worrying about dust and pollen collecting in your (now open) filters ahead of time.

I'd be careful relaying on some of this internet info regarding masks, most of it is straight up BS propagating by companies that sell high end masks and therefore down ANY masks they do not sell. That's called unethical marketing.... For example, I emailed one of these "approved" companies asking them for DOCUMENTATION of there info regarding this series of masks. "Well we don't have any documentation, but those masks are 50 years old!"
They obviously didn't know WTH they were talking about as that series didn't even come into play until the late 70's early 80's. I had seen PLENTY of models of that mask with dates in the late 80's, early to mid 90's. I believe these "approved" sources either had this mask mixed up with the old russian GPH (elephant nose and hose type) masks or they will deliberately being deceptive. I emailed them DOCUMENTATION of this fact from JANE'S GUIDE TO GAS MASKS- Janes as in Jane's Defense Weekly, a source the DOD relies heavily on, and they STILL DIDN'T CHANGE THERE BS STORY ABOUT THE MASK..... So buyer beware when you are believing these "approved" stories....

Is there better masks out there? Of course there are! However telling the average joe that can't afford to drop $400. for a mask that he is going to die if he buys a $30. mask is simply UNETHICAL. And they should know that NO ONE can say sight unseen that any particular mask is effective or uneffective without proper testing.

Some of these "sources" are simply concerned about making there money. And when you consider they charge 3 or 4X normal prices for certain items, I guess they NEED TO TELL A GOOD STORY!! Suckers are born every minute and places like that relay on that fact to stay in business!!!!

BTW, you can usually use American M17 filters with that mask if you have the VALVE INSERTS that go with it. See the German/Czech filters and valves are THREADED, the US are not. Therefore you will have to have a set of US M17 valve inserts (they are a push in type) to go with any US filters you use with that mask.

Check your valves well, do a function test, check with banana oil ampules and determine for yourself (you said you were ex mil) if the mask is effective or not. Don't relay on net info for this...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts