·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just finished my basic conversion.
Tapco folding stock, pistol grip, handguard
Tapco g2 FCG
CSS bullet guide and trigger guard.

all parts ordered from: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/StoreFront

soon i'll be cutting off the barrel shroud, and hoping i have a threaded barrel to add a muzzle brake, if not i'll thread it myself. also ordering a siderail scope mount and some optics in the near future.
any suggestions for optics?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Nice. Does the folding stock have a nice cheek weld?

If you are looking for an optics upgrade, I went the eotech 512 and scout mounts rear sight scope base conversion.

I have the tech sights rear peep sight conversion too, but I am having too much fun with the eotech.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Optics? This one, it works and it's not expensive:
i'll definitely consider it, looks like a great sight for the money.

Nice. Does the folding stock have a nice cheek weld?
I have the tech sights rear peep sight conversion too, but I am having too much fun with the eotech.
actually, the stock works, but it could be ALOT better. i mainly got it for looks, as this is just the basics of my restoration, i will probably upgrade to something a little better in the future.

i'm really interested in trying out a rear peep sight, i seen a thread on the saiga12 forums on a mojo rear sight that really caught my eye...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2 questions about the front handgaurd..
* Does that one have a capability to add the front grip to it?
* Any mods to make it fit or, did it bolt right on?
1. yes, it has 3 rails, one on bottom, and on each side
2. it fit, but was a pain in the ass. the instructions say attach front adapter, slide in rear of handguard then line up with front adapter. yeah right. i attatched front adapter to handguard, then slid it on like the original handguard does. that worked pretty well.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you don't mind my asking what is your total investment? (gun included) looking into a very similar setup with a saiga.
rifle: $300 on sale at www.centerfiresystems.com
all parts needed for conversion: $200 at http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/StoreFront
time to complete conversion: ~ 3hrs
having a badass rifle that you've made your own: priceless

i think the most expensive part of this rifle is the ammo that i'll be goin through....its hard to stop pullin that trigger.

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
1. yes, it has 3 rails, one on bottom, and on each side
2. it fit, but was a pain in the ass. the instructions say attach front adapter, slide in rear of handguard then line up with front adapter. yeah right. i attatched front adapter to handguard, then slid it on like the original handguard does. that worked pretty well.
Cool thanks, been looking at the setup for mine and wanted to add the front grip. The Saiga's seem much more heavy then the WASR I sold.
Did you look hard between the Front sight block sleeve and barrel? From what I gathered, some that were made from '09 to now ARE threaded...the only REAL way to tell is to take a pipe cutter and take off the sleeve...I'm doing mine this weekend when I install the feed ramp and drimmel off the mag catch a bit.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool thanks, been looking at the setup for mine and wanted to add the front grip. The Saiga's seem much more heavy then the WASR I sold.
Did you look hard between the Front sight block sleeve and barrel? From what I gathered, some that were made from '09 to now ARE threaded...the only REAL way to tell is to take a pipe cutter and take off the sleeve...I'm doing mine this weekend when I install the feed ramp and drimmel off the mag catch a bit.
yeah i think they are a bit heavier, my buddys got a WASR that seems alot lighter than mine. i was told it might not be a good idea to mount a vertical foregrip on the handguard since its just plastic, but it feels quite sturdy, so i might give it a try, im sure it'll hold just fine.

im really hoping my barrel is threaded, from what i heard on saiga12, my gun has all the features of one with a threaded barrel, but theres no way to know for sure until you cut off the shroud. even if it isnt i guess its only like $60 to rent a die set to thread it yourself.

·
Registered
474 Posts
For optics check these out.
http://www.primaryarms.com/product....98C8A.qscstrfrnt02?productId=402&categoryId=5

I own one and it's amazing. I would consider it the best budget minded red dot a person can own.
Slap that on an ultimak rail down front and you can co-witness with your iron sights.

I'm using mine on a low profile side-rail and can still get a 1/3 co-witness. The co-witness isn't as important with the side rail though. If the red dot were to go down you can just pop the rail off and go with iron sights in about 3 seconds.

Those red dots from primary arms have been discussed to death on the ak forums and they have almost 100% positive reviews. The guy can't seem to keep them on hand. There is a generation 2 and a generation 3 as well with a few different upgrades. For the price, I think everyone should try one out.

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts
Hey,
Will that new front hand guard allow for storage of the cleaning rod?

HH54r

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.