Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have an extensive library. What I don't have, my darlin' man has and we swap books back and forth every month.
Here is my recommended reading list for *preppers*, *survivalists* and the ones that have just been shaken awake by the political and economic winds sweeping across the globe.

Nonfiction:

Crossing the Rubicon by Mike Ruppert ( A MUST read!)
Grand Chessboard by Zbigniew Brzezinski
Drugs, Oil and War by Prof. Peter Dale Scott
The Long Emergency by James Howard Kuntsler
Overshoot by William Cattom
Peak Everything by Richard Heinberg

Country Wisdom and Know-How by The Editors of Storey Publishing's Country Wisdom Boards
Actually, just about any book you get from Storeys will be worth the money. I have many of them, too numerous to list!

The Green Pharmacy by James A. Duke Duke has written several books, I recommend any and all.

Gardening books take up a lot of room on my bookshelf...Gardening When It Counts, Gaia Gardening, 5 Acres and Independence, The Permaculture Handbook and so on and so forth...GET AS MANY GOOD GARDENING BOOKS AS YOU CAN AFFORD!
Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis by Peggy Layton
Food Storage 101 Where do I begin? (Cookin' With Home Storage) by Peggy Dianne Layton
Your Guide to Emergency Home Storage by Alan K. Briscoe
Food Storage for the Clueless by Clark L. Kidd and Kathryn H. Kidd
Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook by James Talmage Stevens
Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Complete Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival by Jack A. Spigarelli
How to Develop a Low-Cost Family Food-Storage System by Anita Evangelista
Beginners Guide to Family Preparedness: Food Storage, Back to Basics, Survival Facts by Rosalie Mason

I could list about 200 books in the nonfiction category that I have, but you get the basic...buy what you can afford, buy ones that are more to what you intend to do with your land, etc. I suggest going into a big bookstore and perusing a few to see which ones appeal to you---and then buy online (usually cheaper)

Fiction:
Molon Labe
Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse
Parable of the Sower
Parable of the Talents
Alas, Babylon
Enemies, Foreign and Domestic
Domestic Enemies
Earth Abides
Unintended Consequences
The Road

I would also HIGHLY recommend the writings of Frank Herbert (Dune) and Robert A. Heinlein.
Even though these last two wrote in the realm of *science fiction*, their works are very pointed on political, religious and societal issues.
I also recommend having a copy of The Constitution of the United States of America, The US Bill of Rights, The Declaration of Independence, as many of the writings of Tho. Jefferson, Tho. Paine, James Madison, Benjamin Franklin as you can get your grubby paws on if you are in the USA.

Now, if you are in England...I recommend reading about how your country's government was formed, who the main people were, the documents that serve as the basis of your law, etc.

Same for any other country...KNOW YOUR COUNTRY'S ORIGINS! Know your *heros* or *founding fathers*, know your history.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Okay, I have an extensive library. What I don't have, my darlin' man has and we swap books back and forth every month.
Here is my recommended reading list for *preppers*, *survivalists* and the ones that have just been shaken awake by the political and economic winds sweeping across the globe.

Nonfiction:

Country Wisdom and Know-How by The Editors of Storey Publishing's Country Wisdom Boards
Actually, just about any book you get from Storeys will be worth the money. I have many of them, too numerous to list!

The Green Pharmacy by James A. Duke Duke has written several books, I recommend any and all.

Gardening books take up a lot of room on my bookshelf...Gardening When It Counts, Gaia Gardening, 5 Acres and Independence, The Permaculture Handbook and so on and so forth...GET AS MANY GOOD GARDENING BOOKS AS YOU CAN AFFORD!
Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis by Peggy Layton
Food Storage 101 Where do I begin? (Cookin' With Home Storage) by Peggy Dianne Layton
Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook by James Talmage Stevens
Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Complete Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival by Jack A. Spigarelli
Beginners Guide to Family Preparedness: Food Storage, Back to Basics, Survival Facts by Rosalie Mason

I could list about 200 books in the nonfiction category that I have, but you get the basic...buy what you can afford, buy ones that are more to what you intend to do with your land, etc. I suggest going into a big bookstore and perusing a few to see which ones appeal to you---and then buy online (usually cheaper)

Fiction:
Molon Labe
Parable of the Sower
Parable of the Talents
Alas, Babylon
Domestic Enemies
Earth Abides
Unintended Consequences
The Road

I would also HIGHLY recommend the writings of Frank Herbert (Dune) and Robert A. Heinlein.
Even though these last two wrote in the realm of *science fiction*, their works are very pointed on political, religious and societal issues.
I also recommend having a copy of The Constitution of the United States of America, The US Bill of Rights, The Declaration of Independence, as many of the writings of Tho. Jefferson, Tho. Paine, James Madison, Benjamin Franklin as you can get your grubby paws on if you are in the USA.

Now, if you are in England...I recommend reading about how your country's government was formed, who the main people were, the documents that serve as the basis of your law, etc.

Same for any other country...KNOW YOUR COUNTRY'S ORIGINS! Know your *heros* or *founding fathers*, know your history.

Why ???

I just paid off my CC and now I'm off to amazon .........................damn women .:thumb:

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one book I didn't see in your list was Just Add Water. It used to be a survivalist staple, but has been supplanted by other, inferior books.

It can be found at www.internet-grocer.net/addwater.htm if you're interested.
Heh...I have that one, too...it just slipped my mind as I was going through my books...I have so many books now that I need to buy another bookshelf...or build one..HEY!...Here's my copy of Easy 2 x4 Furniture....*wanders off to toolshed...*

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
The one book I didn't see in your list was Just Add Water. It used to be a survivalist staple, but has been supplanted by other, inferior books.

It can be found at www.internet-grocer.net/addwater.htm if you're interested.
hey that's a pretty good site. it also sells canned cheese and butter, which you don't see at stores around here.

·
Just call me Blue!
763 Posts
Also........

Try a book called "The Death of Grass" by John Christopher. One of the best I've read on The End of the World.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Nonfiction:

Fiction:
Molon Labe
Parable of the Sower
Parable of the Talents
Alas, Babylon
Domestic Enemies
Earth Abides
Unintended Consequences
The Road

My favourite book is 'No country for old men' by Cormac McCarthy. Very good read!!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts