Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in another thread, but I wanted to get some feedback on it, so I figured I would make a new thread.

Let me know what you guys think of the contents; what, if anything, is not needed, and what is missing.

My current BOB:

The (*** indicates items I intend to get soon)

70oz Camel Bak (Full)
Deflatable Camp Pillow/seat
1 pr BDU pants
5 pr underwear
3 t shirts
4 pr socks
1pr boot socks
Dynamo Radio/flashlight/cell charger combo
Katadyn 'pocket' water filter (filters 13000 gallons or something ridiculous)
Mess kit with utensils
2 rolls TP
3 packs mountain house food (6 servings for a total of 2300 calories)
3 MREs (3600-3900 calories)
Leather gloves
Wool glove inserts
550 cord (para cord) 100'
Duct tape (1 roll)
1 gallon water storage bladder (empty)
diamond knife sharpener
Cold Steel Peace keeper I knife
Mosquito headnet
Bugspray
2 Emergency Ponchos (1 clear, 1 blaze orange)
1 rite-rain waterproof notebook
1 Sharkie invincible marker
1 pencil
Cold Steel Voyager Tanto (4")
Multi-tool
Dynamo flashlight
LED headlamp
10 small garbage bags ( clear)
Garmin GPS (with stored coordinates for BOLs and safe spots)
***Extra Batteries
Lensatic Compass
*** Maps of BOL and pertinent areas
*** First aid kit
Handgun and extra mag (.45 Ruger P90)
Ammo (at least 50 rounds)
Toiletries Kit (see below)
Survival Kit (see below)
Sewing kit
International translator (pamphlet with pictures to point to)
Gas Camp stove
***extra gas

TOILETRIES
5 disposable razors
shaving cream
pocket tissues
1 bar soap and holder
chapstick
nail clippers
deodorant
Washcloth/towel
camp mirror
toothpaste
hand sanitizer
toothbrush
Floss
2 packs field sanitary wipes
20 individually wrapped antibacterial wet wipes

SURVIVAL KIT
Gil net
2 steel snares
Swiss army knife
Blast match flint firestarter
water purification tablets
3 books water resistant matches
Waterproof match case with 25 matches
2 Bic lighters
magnesium fire starter
10 Safety pins
whistle
Space blanket
10 fishing Hooks
Aluminum foil
***Fishing line
***Tinder

All the clothes and electronics are in plastic bags or ziplocs. Might not survive a complete submerging, but it is rainproof.

I am probably going to put my Surefire flashlight and extra batteries in there, but I haven't decided yet.

I also already have a first aid kit, but it is in a heavy metal box and full of not the right stuff, so I have to fix it first, but it is ready to go as is if something happened now.

I also have my shotgun and bulletproof vest ready to go, and I am going to attach my military sleep system to the outside (sleeping bag, waterproof bivy sack, and sleeping mat)

Let me know if you see any glaring deficiencies.

·
Super Moderator
12,204 Posts
Don't see anything glaring.

My version of the BOB/72 hour kit

Designed to get to help, or sustain me till help arrives based on 3-day time limit. Three days is kinda iffy now in some scenarios. Mostly I would need to add additional food (MRE's/Camper’s MH meals) and another water bladder to extend the time. This can be the base of further extended kits by adding items to the core group. I can’t carry much weight on my back, thus the game cart, which will allow me to add items if the situation calls for it. The item count is a little high, but most of the items are small and lightweight. Doesn’t weigh as much as you might think. <100# even with the game cart.

72 hour Bug-in/Bug-out Kit

Cabela’s game cart
Kifaru Marauder back pack
waterproof gear bag to carry water sensitive items
walking stick or hiking staff
sunglasses w/neck lanyard
2 bandanas
SAS survival manual
Glock 21SF
4 spare magazines in pouches
Cold Steel ODA field knife & sheath
Leatherman Surge
Wenger Survivor Swiss Army knife
small roll brass wire
small roll Gorilla duct tape
package medium large reusable zip ties
dozen nails/spikes
compass and local area map
Yaesu VR-500 multi-band radio w/extra batteries
whistle on neck lanyard
signal mirror
Garraty LED windup flashlight
Mini spray can of bright paint
Brunton butane lighter
lifeboat matches and tinder
Blast Match and tinder
piece of heavy plastic
2 GI ponchos w/1 liner
100 feet 550 cord
eight tent stakes
insect repellent
sun block
light sticks
candle lantern & candles
bottle Aqua Pura
Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter
hydration bladder
can/bottle opener
Tommy cooker & Trioxane fuel
GI stainless steel folding handle cup (for heating water)
German GI nesting eating utensils
large piece heavy duty foil
coffee/tea/hot chocolate/hot cider packets
12 Millennium ration bars
1 ½ pounds jerky
3 pounds gorp

spare keys
spare medications
spare glasses
packet of important papers
family photo marked w/names & relationships
health, illness, & medical information
phone list/contact list/rendezvous map & plan sheet
prescriptions
medical group card
Social Security card
driver's license
check book
credit card
plenty of cash
coins (for pay phones & vending machines)
personal ditty kit
change of underwear
2 changes heavy socks
spare shoe/boot laces
diary/journal w/pen
personal hygiene ditty
Camper’s toilet paper rolls
Camper’s soap
pack towel

first-aid kit
zip-lock bag
space blanket
mini-manual
fever thermometers (oral and/or forehead strip)
adhesive tape
alcohol wipes
aluminum foil (for sucking chest wounds)
triangle bandage
Ace Bandage
Band-aids (strips, finger tip, knuckle, butterfly strips, pads, eye)
gauze bandage rolls
sterile gauze pads
toothache ointment
ammonia capsules
first-aid ointment (Betadine or Triple Antibiotic ointment or similar)
petroleum jelly

(The following medications in single dose units/small quantity packaging)

electrolyte drink mix
Excedrin
Chloraseptic throat lozenges/cough drops
Day Quill caps
Night Quill caps
Alka Seltzer
Laxative (Dulcolax, Theralax, Bon-O-Lax)
Equate Larotadine allergy medication

Kept with backpack in their own ditty bags, donned as situation requires, put on the game cart, or leave behind

insulated underwear
ski mask
heavy boot socks
Carhartt arctic bibs
Carhartt arctic parka with hood
Neos insulated overboots or LaCrosse arctic paks
Wells Lamont insulated gloves
2 bandannas

light coveralls
hiking shoes
baseball cap or hat
2 bandannas

Tyvek hooded/booted overall
P-100 filter & safety goggles (or MSA Millennium CBRN respirator w/3 spare filters)
Nitrile gloves
Rubber garden boots
Roll duct tape

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I would get a heck of a lot more rounds than 50 if I were you. Get a brick and have a few hundred+ at LEAST. I'm trying to get a few thousand, but then again I use a 22 so it's not as expensive. And the shelf life for ammo is pretty much forever. I think US gov says 20 years for theirs.

edit: nevermind, i didn't know this was a portable list. But I would still carry more than 50. :)

·
Banned
317 Posts
Humongus? I would put in at least 3 pairs of socks........don't forget some hot glue, with it your can fix or pach just about anything.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Thanks Jerry for actually listing your bag and cart...I am curious what people are CARRYING all their stuff in...it almost seems too much for a B.O.Bag! I always thought that a BOB was (*noob alert here!*) in tune with grab and go and be able to get through 72 hrs away from your place, or if trapped in a snowstorm on the side of the road...don't get me wrong, I have always been one to prepare for the worst, and have constantly been told to trim it up when backpacking (I secretly brought a disposable charcoal grill and 3 lbs of frozen fajita meat on a trip once, but that was a horrible experience...don't ask). Anyway, anyone have pics of their packed bag? I am always fascinated with others' kits...
An army buddy of mine gave me an ALICE pack so I could fill it with rocks for training, but recently I bought an armor carrier from Cheaper Than Dirt and loaded it with (2) 25 lb. Olympic plates for training and last used the ALICE for hauling firewood up from downstairs...I'm now thinking about using THAT for my BOB...sorry for the ramble; nobody likes a blabbermouth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For a laxative, I would suggest to avoid ones with stimulants as they can cause cramping and/or back door trots at inopportune times :eek:. A daily stool softener (colace) should keep you regular without the other problems. Save the stimulant laced varieties for more extreme emergencies.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would get a heck of a lot more rounds than 50 if I were you. Get a brick and have a few hundred+ at LEAST. I'm trying to get a few thousand, but then again I use a 22 so it's not as expensive. And the shelf life for ammo is pretty much forever. I think US gov says 20 years for theirs.

edit: nevermind, i didn't know this was a portable list. But I would still carry more than 50. :)
Yeah obviously I have more for bugging in. Yeah I will probably take more than 50, that's why it says 'at least'. That's just whats in there this very moment.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Jerry for actually listing your bag and cart...I am curious what people are CARRYING all their stuff in...it almost seems too much for a B.O.Bag! I always thought that a BOB was (*noob alert here!*) in tune with grab and go and be able to get through 72 hrs away from your place, or if trapped in a snowstorm on the side of the road...don't get me wrong, I have always been one to prepare for the worst, and have constantly been told to trim it up when backpacking (I secretly brought a disposable charcoal grill and 3 lbs of frozen fajita meat on a trip once, but that was a horrible experience...don't ask). Anyway, anyone have pics of their packed bag? I am always fascinated with others' kits...
An army buddy of mine gave me an ALICE pack so I could fill it with rocks for training, but recently I bought an armor carrier from Cheaper Than Dirt and loaded it with (2) 25 lb. Olympic plates for training and last used the ALICE for hauling firewood up from downstairs...I'm now thinking about using THAT for my BOB...sorry for the ramble; nobody likes a blabbermouth.
you are right on in your definition of a bug-out bag. Mine surprisingly all fits in a regular size assault pack. I will try to get some picks up for you guys soon

·
Registered
167 Posts
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

I've said this a bunch of times but I'll say it again, I'm REAL new to the Survivalism scene, but I'm extremely glad to see these lists! I've been wondering what ALL went into people's bags and now I know. I've just purchased an ALICE pack for my BOB. It has the metal frame, shoulder pads and kidney pads all included. So hopefully I got a good deal for $30. Thanks again everyone, please keep it coming!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts