Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Per Mare Per Terram
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as promised here are some photos of my BOB. I warn you now this will be long.
Now this seems colossal but It does all fit in my Bergen, and I've been doing load carrying training, what you see weighs in at about 45 - 50 lbs, assuming i'm wearing the clothes.
Some stuff i couldn't photograph today, so you'll have to imagine them (They are currently at a different location):
1x BSA Meteor Air Rifle with 4x25 Scope, with sling - 5 lbs
250 x .22 Pellets - 1 lb
1x British Army mess tin set (1 large, 1 Small)
1x 3L water bladder - 6 lbs
1x 20L water bag, empty (just in case I hole up in one place for a while)
2x 24hr ration pack - 7 lbs each, they are bitches.
4x Tinned fruit - 4 lbs
4x Tinned Pasta -4 lbs
- Cereal Bars and Chocolate

So add that and it becomes between 80 - 85 lbs. Now you can see why I call it my extended stay pack. My day sack is usually only about 25 lbs.

Other things that don't count as weight are my thermals and boots (waterproof, black leather), I'm usually wearing those.

Anyways, lets begin.

My Bergen, 125 Litre capacity, it looks a lot smaller when it's empty.

This is my chest rig, sorry about the poor photo, this is what i keep my GPS, compass, survival box, rope, and some cereal bars in, that way the essentials are easily grabbed when on the move.

Now onto the labelling.

1. My poncho - the 2nd most waterproof thing ever. Can also be a shelter.
2. Hyper warm breathable waterproof socks.
3. My other poncho, American woodland camo, I use it as a groundsheet.
4. Clothes, full set of British soldier 95 DPM combats, trousers, shirt & jacket.
5. Camo netting.
6 & 10. Goretex over trousers & jacket, the 1st most waterproof thing ever.
7. Waterproof leather gloves.
8. Warmest hat in the world.
9. Shemagh - helps keep the wind of your face.
11. Gaiters.
12. Belt
13. Hammock, but I use it as a fishing net.
14. Bits and bobs o' twine and para cord.
15. 50ft 11mm Rope.

Next we have:

1. Disposable razors.
2. Packsoap.
3. Toothbrush and toothpaste.
4. Purifying tab neutralizers - Gets rid of the taste.
5. Purifying tabs.
6. 58 pat. Water Bottle and Mug.
7. Hexy Stove and a few Hexies, they're not usually small and circular.
8. First aid kit:
> Pain killers - paracetamol and ibuprofen
> Sterile water pouches
> Plasters (Band aids)
> Sterile dressings
> Triangular bandages
> Surgical tape
> Antiseptic cream and wipes
> Disinfectant
> Space Blanket
> Cotton wool balls
> Vaseline
9. Gas stove head and gas bottles.
10. Folding shovel/Entrenching tool.
11. Survival box:
> Opinel knife
> Wire Saw
> Sharpening stone
> Matches
> Firesteel
> Cotton Wool
> Snare Wire
> Sewing kit
> Fishing kit
> Button Compass
> Purifiers
> Emergency whistle
> Zippo lighter with spare wick and flint
12. Hunting knife.
13. Machete.
14. Knife sharpener.

And Finally:

1. The most compact yet durable 2 man tent I've ever seen, green and black.
2. Sleep mat.
3. Sleeping Bag.
4. Dynamo lantern, a little creature comfort.
5. Goretex bivi bag.
6. Pegs.
7. Bivi poles.
8. 3mx2m DPM Basha.
9. Maps of my local area, a very large nearby forest and the Brecon Beacons.
10. GPS.
11. Lensmatic compass.
12. 7x25 Binoculars.
13. Waterproof map case.

Thanks for sticking with it this far. Suggestions welcome.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
In all reality I like this setup for outfitting or fly in hunting/camping, but to be honest you could save about half the weight of that setup by reducing the loadout of useless devices, and multiples of everything. I would consider reducing the load, as I guarantee with a true 85 pound load you will make nothing more than a good target. I understand it is an extended pack but you should be able to live off that pack for a year or more. You have all the right gear (or close enough) that you should be able to reduce the load into smaller packs, and keep a real BOB for the grab and go and leave the smaller packs unless you have time to load up prior to leaving. Small and prepared is better than trying to carry a wal-mart with you in a survival situation. Normally having extra gear is like a security "blanket" it will make you feel good until you realize that bringing 2 of everything and then some is only going to make your trek twice as long and twice as hard. My winter BOB is two packs main is 35 pounds with weapon, the other is 25 pounds. Granted if I wanted to move everything I have it would take a uhaul, but I am prepared to leave things behind:)

·
Per Mare Per Terram
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I understand what you're saying, i do usually bring it down into a daysack, i have a yoke and the side pockets zip of the bergen to make a 2 sectioned backpack. That's why i usually refer to this full set up as my extended stay pack not my BOB. This set up is not for emergencies. It's more so i can get up and go to the forest for about a week or two, maybe a month if i have the time.
I keep the essentials in the side pouches so i can jut take them off and get them on the yoke in about a minute.
But what would you consider to be the essentials? of my giant list, which would you have as the 15 most important things? I mean the purifiers and stuff go without saying, the real essentials, but of the other things? What do you keep in your BOB?

·
Registered
44 Posts
You have some good gear in there, but that certainly is a big, heavy pack. I agree with the sentiment that it should be sized down. My tips would be:

• Drop all but one razor blade (why do you need 7-8 disposable razors)
  • Drop either the hexy stove or a couple of the butane canisters (3 large canisters are really heavy)
  • Drop that full sized sharpening steel for a pocket version
  • Drop the camo netting
  • Streamline that FAK (is that space blanket sealed or open?)
  • Add a 1 quart pot unless that canteen cup is metal (looks like plastic) because I don't see anything to use the stoves for.
  • Add an LED flashlight or preferably a headlamp + batteries
  • Add a couple bic lighters
  • Add fishing/snare kits
  • Choose between the tent, bivy, or tarp. All three are too heavy.
  • Choose some lighter, high calorie foods instead of canned foods (MREs, Mainstay rations, Mountain House, etc

·
Per Mare Per Terram
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, i realized about th razors, i'd just bough the packet and dumped them all there. And the canisters look bigger than they are, they're only about 100g each, but it'd be sensible to drop 2 of them thinking about it, the hexy is a must.
That cup is plastic, but i do have 2 aluminium mess tins i find when i put a cup in the heat the cup itself heats up and i burn my lips. I've got fishing and snare kit in he little black box. and i can see what you mean about the tins, they are heavy, i do have 2 MREs, i just couldn't get alot of my stuff in the photo, there's an explanation at the start.
Thanks though, keep 'em comin'.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Very good discussion here guys. Just remember that what you carry is not necessarily what someone else will carry. (except for the TP of course- lol) I agree that the pack is too heavy for its intent. Remember the more skills and knowledge you have, the less you have to carry. (Of course, saying that I am still bringing the TP - LOL)

I am think about doing up my BOB properly and videoing it. I do have a video of my daypack. (you can find it through my video link below)

Half the battle is making the decision to prepare at all. Good job.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Like some others said...reduce weight. The tri-fold shovel? Cut off the metal handle,weld on a socket,put a fixed wood handle on,or better yet,get the Russian style fixed E-tool,the "Spetnatz" shovel. Sharpen the sides,now you have a lighter shovel,and can ditch the machete.They both do the same job of cutting. Definitely ditch the butchers steel. I'd pack a candle lantern over gas model.What are the metal poles for?Tent?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Now that you have some other ideas take your gear and go out on several over night hikes, this will show you what you really need and teach you what you don't. Try to get by with as little as possible. You will also learn if the stuff you have will hold up to hard use.
Keep us posted on how it goes.

·
Per Mare Per Terram
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Metal poles for the basha yeah, the lantern is electric and dynamo powered, not gas, i prefer it because it can never run out of fuel. I'll get on the shovel right away though thanks.

·
Per Mare Per Terram
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As I've said, this amount is for if the **** really hits the fan. i'm still trying to get some practice up but in theory i can do a few nights in the right kind've place with just a decent knife and some way of making fire (steel or my zippo are my preferred choice).
At the moment i feel more comfortable with some kind've pack. The 'behemoth' is reserved for Armageddon.
Thank though guys and keep 'em coming, without you lot i'd have forgotten TP and made loads of other dumb mistakes.
And the TP made me realize something... what have i missed, if i can forget TP i can forget anything?

·
Per Mare Per Terram
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That particular vest is one of the best value things I've bought, Not as tough as the real military one, but I kind've prefer it.
It's the pockets are waterproof, it has a possible 5 litre water capacity, although i only use a 2l bag in the bag so i can put other stuff in as well, and i use the side pocket water storage things for storage, 50ft of 1/2 inch rope fit's in one of them easily if you coil it right. £35.00 so that's probably about $65.00 US. Viper assault webbing, check the internet.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Looks good, and use the advice that works best for your area. Just remember you are way ahead of most people these days because alot them never worry about preparations for the what if the shtf. You know, the ones that will be crying out loud for the government to do something. Looks like you do not want to be one of those, so keep up the good work !
Also at least you will have the tp now. :)

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Now that you have some other ideas take your gear and go out on several over night hikes, this will show you what you really need and teach you what you don't. Try to get by with as little as possible. You will also learn if the stuff you have will hold up to hard use.
Keep us posted on how it goes.
Best advise of all,Yomp with it and what you don't need ditch it from your pack.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts