Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have started putting together my BOB. I am using a large ALICE pack with external frame. I didn't know how big this bag was going to be when I ordered it. It can hold a LOT of gear. I also have a medium ALICE pack that I may end up using instead, IDK. Anyway, the contents so far:

(1) Compass w/ paracord lanyard
(1) Gun Cleaning Kit
(1) Can of Bugspray
(1) Modified first aid kit
(1) Set of water purification tablets
(1) Fire starting kit - Pill bottle of vaseline covered cottonballs, toothpicks, 4 small boxes of matches, 1 lighter, magnesium fire starter
(3) LED flashlights
(2) LED Headlamps
(7) AAA batteries
(1) Stick of SuperGlue
(1) Roll of surveying tape
(1) 1 quart canteen
(1) Metal Canteen Cup
(1) Mess Kit
(1) Emergency Blanket

I know I am missing some obvious things, but I am not done yet. It's a pretty decent start I think.

BTW, I didn't mention firearms or ammo....I got that covered though.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Good start.
Unless you know your area like the back of your hand, why not get some topographical map?
Got any food for the bag? MRE's?

·
Registered
53 Posts
a knife and multitool will be needed, also some 550 cord, or other type of cordage. You did say you had a emergency blanket, make sure its the heavy duty space blanket that can double as a shelter and a hundred other uses. If you do have the thin mylar type, keep it in your bag also for a backup or to use it in addition to the thicker one. A signal mirror, a sharpie and a small notebook, a simple knife sharpener, a small radio that you can use aaa batteries. Also throw in a stocking hat and a few pairs of boot socks. Have a toilet kit with tooth brush and paste, a small bottle of dr. bronners, or camp soap and some t.p!! good start!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
anytime you put together one of these bags, you have to answer some questions about what its intended use is, specifically. That will help a lot with deciding what to put in it.

- How far away is your BOL?(will it take more than one day?)

This determines how much food and water you will need, as well as if you need gear for spending the night outdoors, and a host of other things.

- What is the terrain like?

is it mountainous? are there rivers or lakes? you may need rope or something, or other special gear.

just some things to think about.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Sleeping bag and Therm-a-rest is needed, as well as lightweight tent. 600 ft of paracord and Ka-Bar Cutlass knife or Becker Bowie - I cut through all my Christmas presents (one chop) with the Ka-Bar. Knife sharpener. Lint. Bow and arrows. Zip ties. Multitool (Victorinox, SOG or Leatherman). Water filter (still don't know what to get here for long-lasting use). Snake bite kit. SAS book. Maybe a hatchet, maybe a shovel (you may eventually want to build a cabin). Maybe a .22 rifle or AK. Seeds for growing crops.

Keep weighing your pack until you've reached the desired weight. Can you beat nature with what you've summoned together? We have all the advantage being in the 21st century.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts