Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Realist
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Got mine much cheaper ($175) than the one on the bikesatwork website: http://www.bikesatwork.com/bike-trailers/

Doubt I would pay the full $400. They list a couple other places that sell trailers as well: http://www.bikesatwork.com/hauling-cargo-by-bike/bicycle-trailer-guide.html
I found three trailers right here in Austin on the first day I looked on craigslist.

I figure many emergency situations are going to be bug-in. Fuel may be hard to come by and I don't have the money/time right now to build something solar powered. This will probably let me do quite a bit more than the average guy and still maintain my position well outside of the city.

In the event of bug-out I figure I'll just throw it in/on my car with my bike and when I run out of fuel, transfer everything to my bike and the trailer and keep going. I'll be able to carry a LOT more with this thing.

·
Asian Newbie
322 Posts
Great set-up you got there, but I find the 'basket' on the trailer alittle too small, you may want to increase the size of it to increase your loading capabilities.

Also do consider to change the racking system on your bike to a frame mount type which can take up at least twice the current load of a sit-post mount type you got there.

The bike frame rack I got can carry 25kg with gear bags strapped to the top and both sides.

Cheers.

·
Realist
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm planning to get some bigger tubs. That one that's on there is what I use to keep cat food in actually =)

Amazon.com: Rubbermaid 1172 ActionPacker Storage Box, 24-Gallon: Home Improvement

I bought a 24gal yesterday at walmart for $25 ($40 on amazon) in their automotive section by the batteries. It's a great little box, but I'm not sure it'll fit on the trailer the way I want.. Walmart here doesn't carry the bigger ones - 35 and 48.. I think the 35 would be perfect for the trailer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just bought another bike trailer on craigslist for $15. This is a two wheel trailer, also have a one wheel B.O.B.(beast of burden) for off road, the single wheel tracks right behind you...both will carry at least 75# of gear..

·
styer sniper
706 Posts
I built a hitch out of a piece of rebar, bungie cord, and flat iron to hook my bike to my little boy's plastic wagon. I made it for when we go camping to cruise around the campgrounds. It works. It hauls a 2yo and a pile of stuff quiet nicely plus it had no extra cost. I had the metal laying around. I used the flat metal to make a bracket that I bolted to the frame by the back wheel in two small holes already in the frame. I welded the rebar to it and made a small square spiral with an opening facing foward. Then I place the handle in the hitch and its good to go. I reinforce it with the bungie cord. I need to get some pics of it soon. I am kinda proud of my idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts