Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was born in western PA, but have lived in Texas most of my life. My BOL is in the foothill of the Allegheny Mtns, right on the Allegheny River in Western PA. I manage to make a couple trips a year to enjoy the camp.
In Texas, I have a small vineyard, and make my own wine, and extract juice for jellies, and juice to drink. I have a garden that supplies me with quite a bit in growing season, but I don't manage to store a lot of my own crops. I guess I just enjoy them too much and eat up my stores ahead of time, so I hit the Farmers Market for my storage crops. I have Bee hives, so I have honey for eating, and making mead, which is Honey wine. I also have plenty of wax for candles and waterproofing compound. Mixing the wax with glycerin, and neats foot oil makes a good waterproofing for boots and leather goods. I also reload, and repair firearms for others. I fish and hunt. Cure and smoke my own meat. I really enjoy being in the woods. I spent 36 years with the E.I. DuPont company in the nylon intermediates business, as a control room operator, and manuals writer. Being retired gives too much time to think about the things I missed and should have done in my younger years. I am a ham radio operator, and have made friends all over the world. I think I am really going to enjoy this site. BTW, I left a note last night about the Woodman's Pal's. If you know of someone that could help me out, please let me know...

Thanks,

Benny
Orange, Texas

·
Gas! Gas! Gas!
789 Posts
Hello and welcome from upstate, NY. I grew up in Western PA... near Butler. I remember going to the Allegheny River when I was young, to watch people hang-gliding off of some huge cliffs. Nice place!

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Welcome, Much to learn here. Sounds like you have a good start on the items I mention below!!!

Things to ponder follow:

Have a BOL (bug out location, if needed)?

Self-sufficient? Garden? Stored food?

Reload? Cast bullets? Practice with your firearms?

Practice permaculture? Gather wild foods?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts