Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested here is a picture of my current backpacking knife. It is an Esee RC-4, that I purchased from http://www.equip2endure.com.

I added a leather lanyard to the pommel and attached my scout model flint to the bottom of the sheath. To prevent the flint from hanging and possibly getting snagged while I move I added two poney tail hair bands. One located over the body of the flint, and the other on the rod itself. This has given it a lot of stability, and keeps it out of the way of drawing my blade. However, this set up does take me a bit to untie the flint from the sheath to strike it, but until they make a sheath for the Esee RC-4 that has a fire steel holder, or until I can caugh up hundreds of dollars to get a custom sheath made, this is my set up. Hope you all enjoy.

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
I bought my new Russian knife which dwarfs my Kabar. But, I do not mind carrying weight.

I know, this is not a Kabar, but a Camillus, but I have Kabars and this one is lighter.

Attachments

·
Forewarned is Forearmed
949 Posts
Hi ,

I have almost every ESEE knife. I really love the ESEE4. I think the tech locks are plastic junk. And I believe there are better ways to carry the knife and the fire steel. Look for the ESEE Accessories online there are better options. Also The Junglas and the 6 are really special knives too. Love ESEE................... IMHO

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been thinking of getting the tech lock. I'm currently sporting the MOLLE locks and wear my knife scout style on same side draw vs the cross draw.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Im not really a big fan of the heavier knives like the rat4. I had one for a while and the grind was like an axe, and it didnt retain and edge very well. I could shuck oysters with it or use it as a very ineffective hammer, but past cutting cordage, i couldnt really find a good use for it camping.

My favorite pack knife is the Morakniv Companion MG. Its well balanced, sharp as crap, and retains an edge like nobodies business. I can carve 4 or 5 tent pegs, split some limbs, and its still sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm.

The coating on the rat also makes it difficult to use for wood working. Too much friction.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Have 3 RATs RC-3, RC-6, and a folder. Best knives I've ever owned. Looking a getting a Junglas this year. Cut up 2 mostly frozen deer with the 6 last year and didn't have to sharpen it once. It even out did the professional butcher knives we bought for hunting season. Will never buy any other brand. For the nay sayers: Don't knock em til you try one.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice :thumb:

I am just curious what did you use before and why the upgrade.
Flex my last blade was a SOG Seal I got while in the Army from, you guessed it, a Navy Seal. It was an okay blade, but failed to hold an edge well. Also i hated the shape of the blade itself, made using it very difficult. And I wanted to get away from a tacticle combat style knife for backpacking.

Yes I know the RC-4 is technically a tactical knife, but it doesn't look at insane as some are on the market. I also wanted to be able to wear my knife horizontally, and this one has allowed me to do that.

So far I am really liking it, but it's true test will come in August when it goes with me on a backpacking trip to Israel.

Oh! And the SOG Seal is now part of my kayaking kit for the time being. Will eventually replace it again when I buy a diver's knife.

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
I hope you will enjoy it. Personally, I still use a simple Mora and a Coghlan's Sierra saw for backpacking and camping. This combo does everything I need it to do and more. The best $20.00 I have ever spent for my gear.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope you will enjoy it. Personally, I still use a simple Mora and a Coghlan's Sierra saw for backpacking and camping. This combo does everything I need it to do and more. The best $20.00 I have ever spent for my gear.
I swear I'm going to have to buy a mora just because of everyone singing praises about them.

·
I didn't do it
578 Posts
I have a RC 5 and and an IZULA...bought them both back when they were Rat...best knives ive ever owned...used daily...warrenty is the best on the market...cant go wrong with ESEE!

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm still looking for mine!! Any suggestions?
Well the RC 4 seems pretty good, however I have yet to really test it out on a camping trip as I haven't gone out this year yet. Am planning a trip in two weeks so I might do a review of it then.

I know everyone talks highly of of the Mora and you can pick one up usually for under 20 dollars.

Another knife that seems do being doing good for cheap is the Gerber Rock Camp knife. Around 40 dollars, and from the video reviews on youtube, especially one where I guy just beat the hell out of it, it seems to be a good sturdy knife.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
I have Gerber Metolius fixed knife, Its really good for the money.
btw potantsuem, I just came back from the postal office and picked up my new mora...
looking sturdy and good... razor sharp, more info when it will be used but first impression is good.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts