Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from two knives and a fire axe that I have for utility use but can employ as weapons if required, I tend to consider these four firearms of mine to be my "main" set of armaments that will go with me wherever a SHTF situation might take me.

Ruger Mini-14
The .223 Remington is sufficiently powerful to be used for hunting medium-sized game (deer, for example) and is effective against human targets if the need presents itself. Low recoil and high popularity make the round easier to obtain. .223 rifles can also fire 5.56mm, so military surplus ammo can be obtained for it. I was lucky enough to get several high-capacity magazines for a Mini-14 after graduating high school, but never had the rifle itself until recently. It makes an excellent all-round battle and hunting rifle.

12-Gauge Shotgun
Not much to say. A good shotgun is a fantastic weapon to have. It's reliable, versatile, easy to use, and the ammunition is extremely easy to find.

Ruger P89
I had to make a call between 9mm and .357 for a sidearm. However, the increased popularity of 9mm and the fact that I can obtain 100 rounds for $20 helped me make my decision. Automatic handguns are slightly less reliable than revolvers, but again it was the price and availability of ammunition that helped make my decision.

.22LR Lever-Action Rifle
A good, reliable .22LR rifle is a must in a survival situation due to cheap, plentiful ammunition and ease of use. Nothing beats a .22LR when it comes to hunting small game when larger game is hard to find or heavier caliber ammo is running low.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Any training?

In other words, now that you've shared your choices and the reasons behind those decisions you've made on gun selection, do you know how to use them effectively?

Just because you bought a piano doesn't make you a musician.

John

ETA: Kudos for you offering up your selections. I don't share your preferences for the Mini, the Ruger or the platform for .22, but my needs and wants aren't the same as yours.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Its good not to undervalue the .22, great for taking small animals and can work well for defence if you shoot right.

Other than that I have a savage edge 30-06(takes down anything, with the scope I dont miss often) and a XD 40 (so easy to use, i hear its super reliable though I haven't shot it enough to really say for myself yet)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Personally, I am of the feeling you should have every gun ever made. That way you have variety when the zombies show up :)

My wife feels 3 large stuffed safes and > 50K rounds is enough. :) Life is too short to limit yourself to just 3 guns.

As for the Mini-14. I've put loads of .223 and 5.56 Nato rounds through it. It doesn't like to feed the frange rounds but is shoots them just fine. I've got the Ranch model and never turn down cans of free ammo from the CATM.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
All around good choices in my eyes, I essentialy have the same set up using different guns.

I went beretta 92fs and ruger 10/22

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
<edited>
Ruger Mini-14
12-Gauge Shotgun
Ruger P89 (handgun)
.22LR Lever-Action Rifle
Every serious prepper/survivalist should have a centerfire rifle, handgun, rimfire firearm and a shotgun to cover most scenarios for putting food on the table and self-defense. All of bigsol81's firearms are excellent choices and suit his particular needs

..and don't worry, Mini-14's are chambered for 5.56. It clearly states that in the owner's manual. For best results, use Ruger factory 20rd stainless mags, and don't use bullet weights over 62 grains.

PS▬why is this in Urban Survival and not General Firearms??

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I don't know if I'd agree with Mini-14. I've shot them, and they are not the best all-around battle rifle by any means.

Then again, you go with what you are comfortable with and the amount of protection you can afford. It beats a pointy stick.

I'd still suggest you should consider M14/M1A rifles, or perhaps an FAL or something from the AR or AK families.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any training?

In other words, now that you've shared your choices and the reasons behind those decisions you've made on gun selection, do you know how to use them effectively?

Just because you bought a piano doesn't make you a musician.
Yes. A buddy and myself take this sort of thing seriously. We train not only firing at ranged targets while stationary, but we also perform "run and cover" drills where we run from one position to another, stopping to take cover and fire a few shots in order to train our ability to shoot accurately while starting and stopping, firing from cover, etc.

KCFirepower said:
I don't know if I'd agree with Mini-14. I've shot them, and they are not the best all-around battle rifle by any means.
I live in California, so unfortunately my options regarding rifles are very limited. Sometimes it feels like my state considers anything more lethal than an airsoft gun an "assault weapon". The Mini-14 is a personal favorite of mine, though, so I am a little biased.

·
Amateur / Extra Class
122 Posts
Except for the Target Ranch model which is .223 only, all mini-14's function well with either round. Though all Mini-14's I have ever seen are marked .223. The owners manuals however state the differences.
Give that man a cigar! You are correct Magman. I just spoke to Ruger the other day and the target model is .223 only. The other models can safely chamber & fire 5.56x45mm rounds. This is a common misconception I read on the forums. It doesn't affect all mini-14s. If you don''t believe me, call Ruger directly.

·
Ham Extra Class
3,267 Posts
Aside from two knives and a fire axe that I have for utility use but can employ as weapons if required, I tend to consider these four firearms of mine to be my "main" set of armaments that will go with me wherever a SHTF situation might take me.

Ruger Mini-14
The .223 Remington is sufficiently powerful to be used for hunting medium-sized game (deer, for example) and is effective against human targets if the need presents itself. Low recoil and high popularity make the round easier to obtain. .223 rifles can also fire 5.56mm, so military surplus ammo can be obtained for it. I was lucky enough to get several high-capacity magazines for a Mini-14 after graduating high school, but never had the rifle itself until recently. It makes an excellent all-round battle and hunting rifle.

12-Gauge Shotgun
Not much to say. A good shotgun is a fantastic weapon to have. It's reliable, versatile, easy to use, and the ammunition is extremely easy to find.

Ruger P89
I had to make a call between 9mm and .357 for a sidearm. However, the increased popularity of 9mm and the fact that I can obtain 100 rounds for $20 helped me make my decision. Automatic handguns are slightly less reliable than revolvers, but again it was the price and availability of ammunition that helped make my decision.

.22LR Lever-Action Rifle
A good, reliable .22LR rifle is a must in a survival situation due to cheap, plentiful ammunition and ease of use. Nothing beats a .22LR when it comes to hunting small game when larger game is hard to find or heavier caliber ammo is running low.
I'm not trying to be a smarty pants, this is just me saying this:

IMHO
The Mini 14 is NO match for a good AR-15.
The Ruger P89 is no match for a good full size Glock.
A lever action 22? Why not a semi auto?
I agree a 12 guage shotgun is a must.

Let me guess the reason you suggest these weapons is because thats what you own?
I guess the California thing does hold you back, but why suggest these guns to memebers in other states?
There are a lot better selections than the ones suggested above by bigsol81. IMHO

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Mini 14 is NO match for a good AR-15.
I tend to agree. However, the AR-15 isn't something I can get here in California. If I want one, I have to go for one of the modified fixed-magazine models.

The Ruger P89 is no match for a good full size Glock.
I don't know about that. Reliability is reliability. There comes a point where the difference between being able to feed 10,000 consecutive rounds without a jam and 15,000 is no longer a concern. I actually like the external hammer and safety, something Glocks lack.

A lever action 22? Why not a semi auto?
I have had mixed experience with semi-automatic rimfires. I'm well aware that the 10/22 is a good, reliable gun. My friend uses one. However, I have seen his suffer a failed extraction once or twice. I prefer the reliability of the lever-action as a matter of personal preference.

Let me guess the reason you suggest these weapons is because thats what you own?
I don't just happen to own these, they were conscious decisions.

I guess the California thing does hold you back, but why suggest these guns to memebers in other states?
There are a lot better selections than the ones suggested above by bigsol81. IMHO
I wasn't suggesting these guns to other people. As I stated in my post, these were my choices and my logic behind them, not suggestions to other people in other states. I agree that there are better options, but again I am limited by the state I live in and availability in my area.

·
Armed Border Collie
5,901 Posts
I have large selection of guns including 3 ARs, an SKS, an AK, an Mini-14 and an M1A. If I was told I could only use the Mini-14, I would be fine with that. It's not the best gun here, but it is a very good rifle and it gets the job done. Same deal with my P89, I own a Glock 17, a Sig 229 and a Colt Combat Commander. All are great guns, even the Ruger. I like the safety on the Glock, but the Ruger fits my hand better and has never failed. I have a bunch of other guns, including my great grandfather's 1894, get the weapons you feel comfortable with and get to know them by training.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
I tend to agree. However, the AR-15 isn't something I can get here in California. If I want one, I have to go for one of the modified fixed-magazine models.
Bullet button. Call a gun store and ask them.

I think you made very solid choices. What kind of 12ga?

I have
Mossberg 500 12ga 18.5" & 28" barrels
FNP 9mm
Marlin 795 .22lr

Still working on a center fire rifle. I do have a few other .22s though.

T

1 - 20 of 134 Posts