Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Run Silent, Run Dark
1,026 Posts
Hi-Point: it's not for everyone. Here are the selling points:

Heavy enough to use as a club, wheel chock, anchor, dirt tamper, trot-line weight, can crusher, pry-bar, plumb bob, sailboat ballast, bovine inseminator, slices, dices, mixes, blends, makes thousands of julienne fries, and, boy, will it catch fish!

The Swiss Army put a can opener on it and wants to issue it in a knife case.

Made in Ohio, by American's, for American's. Probably the prettiest thing that ever came out of Ohio.

The Hi-Point Mothership is selling a a two wheel dolly to carry it the firing line.

It's black & has plastic parts. The Dims hate this one worse than the AR, and real gun-nuts, agree.

My 45 ACP carbine and pistol both use the same 9 rd mag.

If you take it to a public range, you will be left alone.

Besides all that puffing, it's still accurate, durable, and runs when it's really dirty.

·
Semper Fi
11,561 Posts
Update with all the gear attached except for the extra mag holders. I did not like them. Gonna adjust positioning of some items but this is complete. One of the screws in the factory rear sight was an MFer to get out.

View attachment 440319
I had a red dot like yours and found they don't like to hold zero. I was having to rezero it every time I went to the range. Personally I think that style with external adjustments are garbage.

Reactions: Iamfarticus

·
Semper Fi
11,561 Posts
I tried many bullet weights and brands. I do have dies and supplies so I might reload a few different loads and try them but I doubt it will help.
I bought the ruger carbine and the Ruger Security 9 pistol and the pistol is exceptionally accurate while carbine is poor. I can hit better with the pistol at 50 yards than the carbine.
Contact Ruger

·
Semper Fi
11,561 Posts
Too lazy.

I'll just use it for suppression fire.
It's an 800 number and they pay shipping both ways. You could even end up with a free mag for your troubles .

Reactions: hiwall1

·
Semper Fi
11,561 Posts
I think that has to do with the "Take down" design aspect. I would be nice to see Ruger offer a fixed barrel version of the PC9 along with a better iron sight setup (longer sight radius and have the sight set take a major note from Tech sights)
They can make the TD version just as accurate as the fixed barrel. My 10/22 TD has the same level of accuracy as its fixed barrel brother.

Though you do need to properly adjust the mechanism. And unless something has changed, what the manual tells you to do is wrong.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hi-Point: it's not for everyone. Here are the selling points:

Heavy enough to use as a club, wheel chock, anchor, dirt tamper, trot-line weight, can crusher, pry-bar, plumb bob, sailboat ballast, bovine inseminator, slices, dices, mixes, blends, makes thousands of julienne fries, and, boy, will it catch fish!

The Swiss Army put a can opener on it and wants to issue it in a knife case.

Made in Ohio, by American's, for American's. Probably the prettiest thing that ever came out of Ohio.

The Hi-Point Mothership is selling a a two wheel dolly to carry it the firing line.

It's black & has plastic parts. The Dims hate this one worse than the AR, and real gun-nuts, agree.

My 45 ACP carbine and pistol both use the same 9 rd mag.

If you take it to a public range, you will be left alone.

Besides all that puffing, it's still accurate, durable, and runs when it's really dirty.
Hipoint Carbine= the AK of the PCC carbine world.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
What is a good sight for these rifles? Where I bought it, one guy recommended a Holosun red dot scope. Some of these are hard to use in bright sunlight. How about a traditional sight?

·
Semper Fi
11,561 Posts
What is a good sight for these rifles? Where I bought it, one guy recommended a Holosun red dot scope. Some of these are hard to use in bright sunlight. How about a traditional sight?
What do you mean my that?

The rifle comes with iron sights from the factory.

You could install a Primary Arms red dot with their etched reticle. They make a version with drops for a 9mm PCC.

·
What hell, pay attention
9,125 Posts
If you dont cheap out on the sights, you'll be better off. A good red dot is well worth the cost, and will hold up to hard use. The cheaper sights dont do as well in that respect.

Just because it might cost more than the gun isnt a bad thing either. I had a couple of Ak's that cost less than the Aimpoints I had on them. Its not what costs what, but what the combo gives you, and for me, that combo worked great. And while I no longer have those AK's, I still have the Aimpoints, and they have been on a number of other guns since, and are still going strong, even 20 years later.

You dont have to dump a lot of money into them either, but you generally do get what you pay for. Better to buy the good stuff once and cry once, than to keep replacing the cheap stuff. ;)

For guns like this, once you experience shooting with a good red dot, I doubt you'll want to use much of anything else.

My kids have a couple of the Vortex Strikefires on a couple of fairly hard use guns, and they seem to be holding up well. They can be had for about $175, so they wont break the bank.

I have a couple of the SIG Romeo's on a couple of 22's, and they seem to be working OK. They are pretty cheap too, around $100. Havent used them on anything that gets any kind of hard use, but I have no complaints. They have a "shake awake" feature that shuts the unit off after 2 minutes, so the battery isnt dead when you forget to shut it off when you put it away. That works fine in the safe of closet, but not so much if its anywhere subject to any kind of vibration, as it will just keep turning back on at any slight bump. They use cheap batteries too, so that's a plus.

One big plus to the higher end sights like Aimpoint is, they can just be left on, literally for years on one battery. Mine are old school, and I leave them on 24/7/365, and only change the battery once a year. In over 20 years now, Ive yet to find one dead. The newer sights will go 5+ years on a battery.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I was looking at some and wanted to keep it around $200 or so. I have a few eBay sellers I buy from and will start there once I narrow it down. I'm going to start with the iron sights first.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
I have to go out later to a gun shop. I had read up on red dots and the Sig Sauer Romeo 5 kept coming up. I'll ask for some advice at the shop too. I can always move the scope to one of my shotguns if I don;t care for it.

I have installed the Glock mag well the other day and picked up some Magpul magazines for it.

·
Semper Fi
11,561 Posts
I have to go out later to a gun shop. I had read up on red dots and the Sig Sauer Romeo 5 kept coming up. I'll ask for some advice at the shop too. I can always move the scope to one of my shotguns if I don;t care for it.

I have installed the Glock mag well the other day and picked up some Magpul magazines for it.
The Romeo 5 is a solid red dot. I own a couple.

For a PCC I would recommend the Romeo 5 XDR with its EOTech-like, circle-dot reticle. I own one as well and it is MUCH faster to pick up and use for close in shots.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Both shops I went to were out of the Romeo 5 red dots. And they were at least $50 over any online price I saw. I was steered to a Vortex Crossfire CF-RD2 red dot. The shop owner said it was comparable to the one I wanted. It was $149. He suggested leaving the riser on it so I could use the existing sights.

·
What hell, pay attention
9,125 Posts
I think the Vortex is a step up from the SIG. Id rather have the battery life than the shake awake too. Leaving it 24/7, 50K hours is about a year.

What gun are you putting this on again? I like the red dots cowitnessed with the sights if you can do it.

·
Semper Fi
11,561 Posts
The low end Vortex is likely made in the same Chinese factory as the Sig. It just is spec'ed with different features.

If rifle has fixed sights I prefer lower 1/3rd to allow a clearer field of view in red dot. If using buis, I like a co-witness height as it allows for a better cheek weld.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts