Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All stock for now,only has 100 rounds through her!Still need a sling,and i want an AIMPRO heatshield.(maybe more?!)

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Good choice of a shotgun. We have them where I work they are like a Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Ours do have the heat shield I would recommend one when possible.

·
I Sleep with my Boots ON!
1,302 Posts
I've got 2 590A1's, one 5 shot the other 9 with scabbard. My original one is the 5 shot which I've had for almost a year has way over 1000 rounds through it from 3" slugs and 00 Buck down to #8 birdshot and she runs like a champ.
Enjoy that beauty!!!:thumb:

Attachments

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
Get the heatshield. I have Mossberg shields on several guns here. It's the best I've ever used. Never seen an aimpro one, though.

rich

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
All heatshields do is increase weight and look tactikewl. I agree with Clint Smith (from the video i posted above) that shotguns are best kept K.I.S.S. without being festooned with a bunch of geegaws and doodads.

Get a quality side saddle or butt cuff for spare shells, and perhaps even a sling and illuminator. As yourself, do you really need a sling and heat shield for home defense? Spend the money on shells instead

Want a heat shield? I'll sell ya my ATI for $10+ shipping.. PM me

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
All heatshields do is increase weight and look tactikewl. Ask yourself, do you really need a sling and heat shield for home defense?
They come in quite handy for keeping your hand off a hot barrel when you flip it upside down and reload....and my guns don't sit in the corner *only* for home defense. If I ever took a firearm out to shoot and *didn't* heat it up, I'd feel ashamed, I think. ;)

Not too enamored of the ATI shields, they're just a bit thin for my liking, but if you ever get any Mossy ones, I'll take them from you. I need two. I'll pay $20 each.

Live free.

rich

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
They come in quite handy for keeping your hand off a hot barrel when you flip it upside down and reload
Do you plan on getting into an extended gun battle with an army platoon or outlaw bikers? How many shooters at trap/skeet/sporting clays competitions use heat shields? None of them do..

You should learn how to top-off your magazine from shooting position in one fluid movement. It's unnecessary to turn magazine-fed shotguns upside down in order to load/reload.

This is an identical thread topic:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=166166&page=2

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
Do you plan on getting into an extended gun battle with an army platoon or outlaw bikers? How many shooters at trap/skeet/sporting clays competitions use heat shields? None of them do..
I don't plan to have a gun battle with *anyone*. I *do* plan to shoot up some overly large and over ripe watermelons this weekend, though. As I said, my guns aren't ONLY for home defense. As to trap/skeet etc, that's nothing but a supersized order of strawman arguing. They don't do something so I shouldn't do it either. I don't shoot like they do, nor do they shoot like I do. If I were firing one or two rounds and then letting things air out and cool off for a few mins, I'd be fine, too. I, however, can fire more in five mins than they will normally fire in an hour or two. Also, OU guns that most use don't load from the bottom, they load from the top. Turning one over would make it near impossible to load quickly.

I don't use heatshields on any of my singles or doubles, that would be a bit over the top....but if the gun is capable of overheating in common use, it's prudent to protect your hands from that heat.

None of them do.
A more accurate comparison would be my shotguns to *any* military weapon, not a sporting gun. Off the top of my head, I can't think of *any* mil-used long gun with an exposed barrel other than the rare sniper rifle. Can you think of any?

You should learn how to top-off your magazine from shooting position in one fluid movement. It's unnecessary to turn magazine-fed shotguns upside down in order to load/reload.
Nahhh, I'm fine with my reloading, thanks. Turning the gun upside down is still the fastest and still the most common method of reloading and it's the one I've gotten used to over the last thirty years or so.

I think that about covers everything. Guess I'll bow out now before someone starts an argument.

A long and healthy life to you, sir.

rich

·
I Sleep with my Boots ON!
1,302 Posts
My original 590A1 has a heatshield and some my trips to the club with my Son and I made me thankful for that heatshield. What's good for some may not be for others and opinions are like ass-holes, everyones got one..

Do what you see fit for your needs, Rich...

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Not too enamored of the ATI shields, they're just a bit thin for my liking, but if you ever get any Mossy ones, I'll take them from you. I need two. I'll pay $20 each.
I was looking at the Mossberg heatshield at the local gun shop. It's no different than the ATI that i have. I bet they weigh the same.. The only noticeable difference is the color of the paint. The gun shop was asking $35

I'm curious to know as to why you wouldn't want to learn how to load/top-off your shotgun from shooting position without turning it upside down.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
I was looking at the Mossberg heatshield at the local gun shop. It's no different than the ATI that i have. I bet they weigh the same.. The only noticeable difference is the color of the paint. The gun shop was asking $35
The Mossy heatshield is different steel than the ATI steel stock, much stouter (grab one in the center and try to squeeze it in your hand, twist it end to end etc. The ATI has a small amount of noticeable give), and it's not painted. They real blue them and they real parkerize them to match the Mossy barrels. The Mossy shield also has double thick steel bands at the front and very back welded to the shield itself. Those preformed steel bands are why the shields don't fit the 590 heavy barrels....the ATI, you bend the tabs to fit whichever gun you have. The Mossy mounting screws go through those steel bands in the front, not the shield. The only place you can tighten the ATI shield is there at the front and you can't tighten it tight enough to prevent it slipping under recoil. That's why they suggest you use a band of rubber under it. If you overtighten it to stop slippage, you run the risk of tearing through the screw hole itself. Done it twice. It's not very stout. The Mossy part, again, has thick steel bands that you'll break the screw before you tear through the holes. Tighten it all you want. The Mossy shield also comes with a bracing bar so it fits the Persuader without slipping. One of my fav points is also one of the smallest....the Mossy shield has the usual warnings stamped into the steel where the barrel has them under it. The chamber size, the warning about the manual etc. It's a factory part.

I know how much they run. I have several of them. You were offering the ATI part at a 50% discount, I was hoping the Mossy part was the same.

Bottom line is the Mossy shield is just heavier duty construction, reinforced with steel bands, front and back are preformed to fit the Mossy barrels perfectly, they don't slip when installed correctly etc. The ATI, the biggest flaw is the lack of reinforcing, next is the lack of the prefit front and back bands (the ATI attaches at the front and the middle of the barrel with bend to fit your gun tabs), next is the lack of the anti-slippage bar. You can add the layer of rubber to prevent slipping, and I wrote an article on making an anti-slippage bar from an arrow shaft so those aren't totally bad points. The ATI's biggest selling point is it can fit just about any gun you want it to....but that middle barrel tab mount is why their ghost ring shield is so flimsy. You can mount those plastic ghost rings on a Mossy shield (takes drilling two holes) and it works perfectly.

And the method to clean the barrel without removing the shield....take a flat shoestring, dip it in oil, and slip it under the front just behind the mount. Work it back and forth down the barrel. Takes all of thirty secs to clean and oil the barrel.

Stay safe.

rich

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
On those ATI heatshields and anti-slippage bars;

Mossy shields come with anti-slippage bars that fit between the mounting tabs on the front of the shield. They're drilled with holes that the mounting screws go through and they extend forward to the barrel mounting lug on the Persuader to keep the shield from moving under recoil. On the standard 500, the shield mounts directly against the lug so the bar isn't necessary. If you have an ATI shield and want to mount it on a Persuader or a 590, you need to make one. You can do that with a length of appropriate sized aluminum or carbon arrow shaft. Just cut it to fit your application and drill a mounting hole in the back end to fit your screws. One screw through both sides of the shaft is all you need but two is better. The Mossy bar has spaced cutting lines to fit the various barrels....just fit your arrow shaft the same way. Butt it up against the barrel lug or the mag tube clamp if you use one.

Peace.

rich

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
On the ATI ghost ring heatshields;

The biggest flaw with the sights....they aren't perfectly curved/fit to the heatshield. They're left a hair short on both sides so the shield can be fitted to just about any gun you can imagine. (The middle mounting tabs even allow the ATI heatshields to be mounted to single barrel shotguns.) To fix that, remove the back sight from the shield and fit the shield to your gun and mount it. Get it tight just like it'll be when used. Next, lay a strip of emery paper grit side up on the sight mounting position and *carefully* slide the sight back and forth til it fits the curvature perfectly flush. Remove the paper, remove the shield, and mount the sight. Do the same for the front sight. Makes it a solid, very useable sight system that doesn't wobble.

If you need to adjust your aim point, shim the sights with bike innertube.

Peace.

rich

·
Feldwebel
1,331 Posts
All heatshields do is increase weight and look tactikewl. I agree with Clint Smith (from the video i posted above) that shotguns are best kept K.I.S.S. without being festooned with a bunch of geegaws and doodads.

Get a quality side saddle or butt cuff for spare shells, and perhaps even a sling and illuminator. As yourself, do you really need a sling and heat shield for home defense? Spend the money on shells instead

Want a heat shield? I'll sell ya my ATI for $10+ shipping.. PM me
Not trying to argue with the others - if you're experience says "heatshield good" then fantastic. But I'm with Filthy here. I've used various shotguns for various competitive disciplines from CAS(Cowboy Action Shooting) , to Pin Matches, to 3-Gun, etc., and never found the need for a heatshield, even after burning(not pun intended) through many rounds, reloads, etc.

But more to the thread-topic, I LOVE my 590A1! I have the configuration with collapsible stock which I was highly sceptical of at first, but to honest it works fantastically! It handles not unlike my Benelli M1 with Pistol-grip, so it's familiar and handy too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts