Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted in my earlier thread 12 volt Deep Cycle Batteries, I recently purchased a 45 Watt Harbor Freight Solar Kit. I learned a lot about the basics of electricity and what is needed to make this whole process complete. I have also posted this up on my blog, www.metro-survival.blogspot.com, so check it out. With out further delay...

My Solar Shed:

Check out my blog for the captions. Enjoy.

-DC Josh

·
Bushwacker
1,479 Posts
Nice setup. I currently have a 40 watt Wind Turbine, and working on a 150 watt turbine. I think Solar is more expensive and more reliable. Thanks for the post. I'm looking for other ways to upgrade my BOL wuthout blowing my bank account up.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Ive thought about the panels at harbor freight but never really went to get them. Cool project though. Solar would be the way to go here in Tucson also since we have sun almost every day of the year.

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
Ive thought about the panels at harbor freight but never really went to get them. Cool project though. Solar would be the way to go here in Tucson also since we have sun almost every day of the year.
Ditto that here in South Carolina.

I've been to Tucson once, had to pass through on my way to Sierra Vista and Ft Huachuca. I'd like to go back for a real visit some time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be sure to keep an eye out for the 20% off coupon and check the sales. The lowest I've seen is where I picked it up at $148. I have heard of others on youtube paying 200+ for the kit.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The panels alone are worth the sale price...

While at costco this past weekend, I noticed an entire aisle of solar components, including 4X6 panels rated at 220w.. they were pricey ($450 iirc) but if you are looking for another "local" source of components, they might have what you need...

Mo-Go

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
i saw those panels on sale at hf for 169 this weekend (or maybe it was last weekend)... didnt invest though, flippin home owners assn. would probably not be down with that.

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts
The panels are the high part. The 45 watt version vs 220w = 4.8 of the low watt panels. The 45 watt kits sell for 150 when on sale. The individual components other than the panel itself can be had for 50 bucks. That leaves them selling the panel for 100 dollars. That comes out to 2.2 dollars per watt.
At 220watt the cosco version comes out at 2.04 dollars per watt.
The cosco version is therefore cheaper if your goal is something other than running a fan.
The panels alone are worth the sale price...

While at costco this past weekend, I noticed an entire aisle of solar components, including 4X6 panels rated at 220w.. they were pricey ($450 iirc) but if you are looking for another "local" source of components, they might have what you need...

Mo-Go

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good point, but if you are not as inclined to know what it is you need, then I think it is a good purchase. I often see people bad mouthing the kit while not taking what it is, an introduction to solar that still has practical means. I look forward to using it at the small cabin location I plan on building in the future.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Look at HF ads in magizines for coupons. I bought 3 sets for $149.95 each. Just got them set up in a 2"X2" angle iron frame, so it about 3' high X 9' long, made so it can be adjusted on the angle. Now I need a good buy on golf cart batteries. I want to run some 12V LED lights and a small refrigerator in my hanger/ workshop. If these work out, maybe I'll add on to them later. Pops

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
Nice pops! What does the electrical/battery compartment/area look like? What do you have for an inverter?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
sprkymrk -- I just got the panels up, now I need to get the batteries and inverter. I have a 6' long steel table and wall shelves on the inside of the wall next to the panels. Plan on using 12v as much as possible and only using an inverter for the small ref.
Yesterday, I charged the battery for my farm tractor and my lawn mover with it. It should be able to charge to about 11 amps. I ran the starter on the lawn mover until the battery started to go down and then put it on charge. Checked it a couple hours later and it was fully charged. I also need to buy a clamp-on amp meter. Pops

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
Cool, if its not too much trouble post some pics of the inside setup when you can. I really want to do something like this at my house. :cool:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts