Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my garden for this year. I don't grow a lot of food since i live by myself, usually just one group of certain items.

I grow all my plants from seeds sowed directly into the ground.
Before planting, i dig a hole 1 foot round, 1 foot deep and fill it with bagged garden soil.

Two mounds of pumpkins planted in the garden near the hosta plants..

Cucumbers here in my lower garden (closest) and honey dew(left) and watermelons (in the back)

These are the honey dews growing and budding like crazy!

Close up of the first honey dew melon. Can't wait to eat it :)

Tomatoes (left) and Bell Peppers (right) do great up against my house where it gets very hot from sunlight bouncing off that brick.

That's my garden for this year. Thank you for looking. :eek::

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I totally understand your soil in the hole trick... the rest of the dirt looks like hard work.

Having said that - your vege look gorgeous. Thanks for posting. :)

·
Bread Baker
3,255 Posts
When I first started gardening, many moons ago, I did the potting soil in the hole trick too. Much better then tilling up heavy clay. I have now since switched to raised beds. You ought to give it a try.

·
Concerned Citizen
536 Posts
Another option to consider is checking out your local rental stores. There may be a place you can rent a gas rototiller for a day on the cheap, till your garden area (mixing in some fresh fertilizer of your choice) and in probably an hour or two's worth of work that space would be good to go for years to come (turning the low-loosened soil over once a year).

Rental places are great for tons of projects, and just about anything you'll only need to do once or twice. Get the job done like a professional for a fraction of the cost!

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The melon garden is raised bed. But i left out the edging, so i can turn the entire thing over with my loader in the fall and spring. The soil in my garden looks nasty, but it actually came out of the bottom of my pond and is full of nutrients.

After this year, i'm planning on making the raised melon garden twice the size. Right now it's big enough for 3 mounds of vines to spread out perfectly. So far, everything is growing perfectly this year.

:)

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE TO MY GARDEN - Nice Harvests so far :)

UPDATES:

Here's some more pics of my garden now on July 6 2010.

Tomato Plant is producing like crazy. I counted 38 medium-large tomatoes on it so far...

Pepper plant is doing great. Two peppers almost ready to harvest, plus 4 more on the plant...

Mmmm, Two giant honeydews i just picked. Also 4 out of 6 cucumbers i've picked.

Thanks for looking (and drooling) :D:

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok Here's my next update from the garden 8/2/2010 :)
Pics below!

Got about a dozen honey dews growing(already ate two early ones). Still growing like crazy.
About a dozen watermelons growing great. Can't wait to eat them :)
Pumpkins are doing awesome with about a half dozen today, some of them very large!
Tomato plant is still alive, but took some damage due to weight.
Pepper plant produced 5 peppers total, and then stopped producing...
Cucmbers totally flopped after producing a small early harvest. All the plants are putting off white bitter cukes now. They're done..

Tomato plant fell over onto the Pepper plant. Neither one is happy now, but the tomato is still producing..

Two honey dews in this pic. One is the biggest i've ever seen!

3 watermelons posing for a picture.

Mmmmmmm!!

THE GREAT PUMPKIN

Mommy Pumpkin & Big Daddy Pumpkin

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts