Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to blog about my first ever attempt...it was a very spur of the moment thing...i have been wondering how to preserve meats and thought you needed brines and smoker/dehydrater...but after stumbling around i found that people do it in their ovens...so i said wth...ill try it...now mind you it was a spontaneous venture into the unknown for me...i didnt have top/bottom round or brisk...what i had was black angus steaks from redners....so this is what i made it from....i also had no soy sauce as my wife used the last of it for pepper steak last week....i used worchestershire sauce,onion powder,garlic powder,pepper,salt,and maple syrup...it dryed in 3 hours @ 145-150 degrees....i used kabob skewers and hung it from the top rack in my oven...my wife and son love it but i was less satisfied...i can taste the angus and the worchestershire.(which i didnt like too much)..and it needed more pepper...funny how my wife doubted the skills but is eating the whole batch...but all in all, it was a decent batch and a skill i wanted to learn...i am confident the next batch will be 30% better...as i know what it needs now to my flavor pallet...i love pawnee bill's beef jerky and plan to get the next batch as close to that as possible...sorry i didnt take pics as i was not sure how it wouldve turned out...but anyways thanx for taking the time to read my post and every comment will get a thank you as with all my threads :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to see the procedure thru photos if you are willing to take them next time. I want to try this out. I'm not sure if I'm envisioning the skewer procedure properly.
i sure will take pics next time and it wont be too long as i plan on doing it again fairly soon...my wife took the last of it to work with her...lol figures...as far as the skewers...i just skew thru the top of the strands of beef...and drape the skew'd meat down thru the rack in my oven....so the meat hangs vertically...you can use tooth picks too but thats allot of extra work...and it is way easier than you think it is as i thought it was a tough project but turned out to be very easy with great benefits...i will take pics or video next time so no worries there....you can also see vids on youtube to see how others do it. good luck and thanx to everyone that posted.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this thread is kinda old as i already made jerky 3 times....everytime i made it, it got better...i am at the point where i think i have mastered the recipe to my taste and no one has complaints, in fact they all want some when i make it :( leaves very little for me...i will start a new thread with my recipe...it may be very similar to everyone elses as i noticed they dont differ much on the internet.

thanx to everyone for the responses :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: My 1st beef jerky

About a month ago I attempted in making some beef jerky myself.:thumb: I used either top brown or London Broil(can't remember). Anyway, I cut the meat into super thin strips and marinated them overnight. I cooked them at the lowest temperature my oven could go(I think it was 175ºF) for 4-5 hours. Well for the first few days the meet was good in taste. The texture was a little off but oh well. However, one thing I did notice was that the flavor seemed to disappear after 4 days. If I do it again, I will cover eat strip of jerky in salt before I cook them, to really pack the flavor in.
hmm thats weird, cuz i noticed as a week passed the jerky tasted better?????...i have thought about letting my next batch cure for a week before i eat any...i use sea salt and sea salt is touchy and easy to over do..i will post my recipe in a new thread and your welcome to try it :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.