Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my shellfish license and came back tonight with a couple of Mussels that I youtubed how to clean and cook.

I've never had them before, and they were pretty good, but I think this was because I steamed them, then fried them in some butter and garlic. That got me to thinking:

Does anybody have any secret grandma's mussels recipes? :thumb:

·
You looking at me!
4,027 Posts
large cast iron pot with lid
1 large shallot minced
3/4 fill with mussels
white wine about a glass
bring to the boil
pull to one side to let them steam
place mussel into a warm bowl
add a little heavy cream some fresh chopped parsley black pepper

eat with crusty fresh bread.

use a mussl shell as a pair of pincers to remove the mussels and eat then soak up the juice with the bread!

I used to run a place on the east coast of england and in a season (mussel season) we would sell 350 tons yes thats right 350 tons of mussels , only eat them when theres an 'R' in the month.

Replace the white wine with cider or beer

or add some asian flavours to go thai.......chilli, coriander, lime, cocoonut milk

its endless!!!!

enjoy

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,584 Posts
Mussels are delicious steamed in wine. We don't get good mussels here often, so I'm jealous of those who can go harvest them. I'm not a big seafood kinda guy (other than fish), but I love good mussels and clams.

·
Registered
200 Posts
in a pot add enough olive oil to fry some chilli n sliced garlic till garlic is a little brown.. add mussels ( i serve about 8-10 per person as a starter) then pour enough white wine ( a dry white works well) to cover the bottom.. cover, allow to cook for 1 minute.. before serving add a generous handful of corriander or parsley..

·
Libertarian
397 Posts
in a pot add enough olive oil to fry some chilli n sliced garlic till garlic is a little brown.. add mussels ( i serve about 8-10 per person as a starter) then pour enough white wine ( a dry white works well) to cover the bottom.. cover, allow to cook for 1 minute.. before serving add a generous handful of corriander or parsley..
Substitute black bean sauce for the white wine. Very very tasty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I thought I knew how to hunt or catch just about everything around here, but after reading this post I realized I dont have a clue about catching mussels. When I was a kid we used to catch fresh water shrimp and crawfish for bait in a dip net, and would occasionally come up with some mussels, but dont really know the "way" to catch many. Anyone wanna fill me in?

·
You looking at me!
4,027 Posts
So I thought I knew how to hunt or catch just about everything around here, but after reading this post I realized I dont have a clue about catching mussels. When I was a kid we used to catch fresh water shrimp and crawfish for bait in a dip net, and would occasionally come up with some mussels, but dont really know the "way" to catch many. Anyone wanna fill me in?
You dont "catch" them as much as "harvest " them.

They grow in clumps usually attached to rocks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts