Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have alot of music on my computer. Alot of it doesnt have the name of the song or who sang it. Is there any software out there that can automatically play the song and put that info in it?

·
Super Moderator
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have so much music from who knows where over the years.

·
ΙΧΘΥΣ
9,746 Posts
Hawk, way back in another lifetime I was a torrent fiend. I used a SQL database to list everything. It is cumbersome if you don't start before your collection hits 1,000 +, but you could use Shazam to identify name and artist but you would have to type it into your database.

The only problem with Shazam is with the live music or unreleased music like studio sessions, it may not recognize the song.

Maybe something new is out since I was last intently occupied with music. I hope so for your sake!

·
Super Moderator
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats the thing. I dont know the name of the song or who sang them. Im looking for software that can do that automatically.

·
ΙΧΘΥΣ
9,746 Posts
Thats the thing. I dont know the name of the song or who sang them. Im looking for software that can do that automatically.
Well try Shazam. It's an iOS ap, but maybe they have a computer version.

Reactions: hawk55732

·
Padre in the woods
3,894 Posts
I'm not sure how you play your music back, but I use kPlaylist. I collected records as a kid, and the past 10 years have been spent restoring them to WAV & MP3. kPlaylist is sort of a jukebox program. There are others. You might also want to consider a "free radio automation" program which will select songs and play them. If you're dealing with MP3s it's important to have the ID3 data embedded in each file.

·
Registered
Which bag? No way I'm carrying all this stuff, that's why I turned my F150 into a bugout truck.
5,462 Posts
I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to something like CDDB(Compact Disc DataBase) that does it automatically, in which access is embedded with software like Itunes or MusicMatch. I think it's now owned by Sony under the name GraceNote.

However, it compares the CD number of tracks and lengths of tracks. If the songs were downloaded separately and/or out of sequence it won't be able to do it. The nice part of it is, that it will then import the cover art if it finds the right match..

There is a program out there called MusicTag that is supposed to be able to compare the individual tracks (fingerprint) against a database of millions of songs. I have only heard of it. Not sure if it works or not, or trustworthy in privacy.

·
Super Moderator
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to something like CDDB in which access is embedded with software like Itunes or MusicMatch. I think it's now owned by Sony under the name GraceNote.

However, it compares the CD number of tracks and lengths of tracks. If the songs were downloaded separately and/or out of sequence it won't be able to do it.

There is a program out there called MusicTag that is supposed to be able to compare the individual fingerprint against a database of 35 million songs. I have only heard of it. Not sure if it works or not.
Now that was what I was talking about. Thank you. Ill check it out.

·
Registered
Which bag? No way I'm carrying all this stuff, that's why I turned my F150 into a bugout truck.
5,462 Posts
Hawk I edited my post to add the part about privacy. I have troubles with programs like that. Maybe it's just my conspiracy side of me with Big Brother watching, lol. But the music industry has been known to play rough (IE; the lawsuits against Napster down-loaders). So I shy away from programs like that and only download from CD's.

here's the link

http://download.cnet.com/Music-Tag/3000-2141_4-75906874.html

·
Super Moderator
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These songs I have had for a long time from CDs I had in the past or else downloaded from amazon and what such. However, a few years ago I had a virus that went through my computer that corrupted alot of files. It messed up with the naming standards of the music and I lost the naming data for alot of them.

Reactions: swen_out_west
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.