Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!! I was just at my local computer store the other day and noticed that a 500 Gig USB rive is $99.00. I bought one to back up my business laptop, but I had another thought.

How many have converted all thier music and movies to digital, and thought to store everything on a huge USB drive? I'm not talking just your favorite stuff, but as much variety as possible to preserve a huge, diverse collection for after SHTF? Sort of like a cultural archive?

I know that you can put about 20,000 songs on 100 gigs. I bet with 500 gigs you could put hundreds of TV Episodes and full length feature files as well.

Since most are planning to have alternative power, you could have a good laptop and preserve an entire library of files that way.

How about adding full length E-books to the list as well? With this would be a case of writing paper, pens and such to hand copy these E-books into real books for permanent preservation in the post SHTF world.

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
I have stocked up on tons of books. I get a lot of them free or next to free. Also craft supplies for both myself and the kids. School supplies and educational items. I have been going to the library and burning about 10 cds a week..costs me nothing as somebody gave me a pile of discs for free. I collect dvds when I can...I dont download movies as I dont know how lol. Sad eh? I have also been grabbing board games at goodwill and garage sales. Also stocking up on wool and fabric...make quilts, blankets etc. I have tons of paper and pencils in addition to paints, markers, crayons etc.

Not only for shtf but winter is coming and I am basically housebound for two months.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I own 6000 to 7000 books, 13000 comics, 2000 cassettes, 500 records and around 1000 CDs. On my computer is 58 Gig of music alone...

·
Registered
816 Posts
i already have all of my music on my computer, and a bunch of videos, mostly instructionals, on a portable hard drive. My laptop plays DVD's and i have a couple hundred dvd movies. This is just my normal collection I have built p over the years, and not specifically for 'preparedness' purposes.

As long as I get my little power source worked out, entertainment won't be an issue. Ebooks are a good idea too, but if it is crucial info, I would try to back it up with a hard copy.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
I download everything. If/when the SHTF, I want all my favorite comedies to laugh my way through it.
I too have a USB external storage drive. Plus everything is on cd's & DVD's from music to movies & t.v. shows.
With just a small gen. you can run your laptop for hours on a gallon of gas.
Very cheap entertainment.
You can pick up games at the dollar store. And if you have rechargeable batteries (and a solar unit to recharge them), you can still use your gameboy or whatever those hand held thingys are they play games on.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I just finished converting all my music to wav files on a 320 gig drive. About 400 CD's took up over 200 gigs. The hard drive connects to my receiver in my audio system with on screen display and beats the hell out of CD changers. I backed up some videos to watch at work.

For backing up audio files EAC is the best for accuracy. If you're gonna do it do it right, UNCOMPRESSED.
For video I use DVD Shrink. It shrinks a dvd into about 4.5 gigs.

·
Wanderer
477 Posts
I personally have copies of my fave DVD's and all my music and a some games and more ebooks then you can shake a stick at crammed on to my Terabyte. Never thought I would fill it up boy was I wrong.

D.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
I personally have copies of my fave DVD's and all my music and a some games and more ebooks then you can shake a stick at crammed on to my Terabyte. Never thought I would fill it up boy was I wrong.

D.
yup i did the exact same thing
man a PSP with a solar recharger would be like gold post SHTF.
if you go the psp rout you can actually hack the crap out of it. i play games off the memory stick, read E-books, and play old school nintendo games.

·
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

D.
Reply]
You FILLED a Terabyte? Holy Crap!!!!

·
Wanderer
477 Posts
Yeah I filled a Terabyte I have alot of movies, music, and the new games I have are HUGE... I thought I would never do it but low and behold it happened.

D.

·
Banned
317 Posts
In Cuba the only real movie houses that there are is in private homes... every night the lady living next to my dad collects 25 cents per head to show a movie on her 32 inch tv.

She also rents out cassetes for $2.00 per night and books for 25 cents per day............ remember that in Cuba as an average they earn $18.00 a month.

Everytime that her son from Miami goes to visit her he will take her around 30 new movies.

If power goes out in the US it will be only in the outskirt of small towns and far away form the general population........the rest of the country will have power, I do have five generators as back up and a generous allowance of fuel.

·
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In Cuba the only real movie houses that there are is in private homes... every night the lady living next to my dad collects 25 cents per head to show a movie on her 32 inch tv.

She also rents out cassetes for $2.00 per night and books for 25 cents per day............ remember that in Cuba as an average they earn $18.00 a month.

Everytime that her son from Miami goes to visit her he will take her around 30 new movies.

If power goes out in the US it will be only in the outskirt of small towns and far away form the general population........the rest of the country will have power, I do have five generators as back up and a generous allowance of fuel.
Reply]
Didn't the entire North east part of the US have a massive blackout a few years ago? If I remember right,that was both urban, and rural areas that were effected, AND parts of Canada

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
Yup we had rolling blackouts for three nights and it was GREAT!!! The quiet was amazing - no electrical hum but it was hot so we slept in the basement.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned acoustic guitar or chimes or anything else. I have been playing electric for years, and realized it's time to buy an acoustic in case the power goes out. I went with an Alvarez.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts