Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This:
https://www.guardlinesecurity.com/p...mlrq1sShBQ76ugWg74XvFDf0pfBPgcAhoCuEUQAvD_BwE

I bought one (new) a couple years back and was TERRIBLY disapointed.
Forget miles.... wouldn't work 1/2 mile away straight line through trees even when I put the base station outside!
I fiddled with it a bit and then returned it without starting 2 feet from my house and gradually moving it out to see how far off it would work due to return time limitations.

Weeeellll.... I bought another.

With trepadation, but.... it was $10 at my favorite thrift store.
(Perhaps something good can come of the VA ****ing me over today)

Before I start at 2 feet and start moving it back does anyone have any recommendations as to how to make this POS work any better?

·
Super Moderator
12,060 Posts
Hm. Mine works fine. Up to 100', which is as far as I have used it. But I was using it with the handhelds and not the base station.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
This:
https://www.guardlinesecurity.com/p...mlrq1sShBQ76ugWg74XvFDf0pfBPgcAhoCuEUQAvD_BwE

Forget miles.... wouldn't work 1/2 mile away straight line through trees even when I put the base station outside!
I fiddled with it a bit and then returned it without starting 2 feet from my house and gradually moving it out to see how far off it would work due to return time limitations.

Before I start at 2 feet and start moving it back does anyone have any recommendations as to how to make this POS work any better?
Get rid of that stupid rubber duck “antenna” and find an antenna for whatever frequency the thing transmits on.

151Mhz-154Mhz. I would build an H bay antenna for it. It’s directional with pretty decent gain.

·
Registered
34,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use this one. Can't get the half mile out of it (which I really need)

But I get a good 600 ft from it.
600 might work, I just figured even if this thing ****ed me off again, and I failed to make it work... I could get a good bit more than my $10 back by selling it.. ..

·
Registered
143 Posts
I own 5 of the MURS Alert Transmitters and only had a problem with 1 after a couple years of use. It stopped transmitting, but the motion sensor portion still works so it's not useless. Three of them have been working fine for about 8 years. One half mile range (through wooded terrain) is about the distance I get with the box mounted 4' off the ground and the stock telescoping antenna fully extended to the mobile in my truck. Another one is mounted inside a house with the stock antenna and I can still reliably receive the alert 300+ yards away with a HT on my belt.

There's a write-up on some enhancements for it here, including how to troubleshoot the major components if there's a problem. https://modernsurvivalonline.com/mat-mods-enhancements-for-the-dakota-alert-murs-alert-transmitter/

·
Registered
530 Posts
I use this one. Can't get the half mile out of it (which I really need)

But I get a good 600 ft from it.
I also use the Chamberlin and have tested out to 240 yds with no problems. With a clear line of sight and wood walls I could probably get 300 yds from the Chamberlin.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I use the Dakota alert system. 3 sensors, 2 base units, and 2 handhelds, for use in the tractor and outbuildings. I replaced the antenna on the driveway unit sensor, and the other two around the house, I sealed the ant BNC on the top, with liquid electrical tape, for support, as that is your weak spot in the unit. I am very happy with mine, can talk to the house or the office, from anywhere on the farm, and can hear when someone enters any of the 3 zones from my handheld. I use AA rechargeable for the handhelds, and change the others batteries twice a year.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
the radio guru mantra:

a dollar spent on a better antenna is as effective as ten dollars spent on amplifiers.

always start with directional antennas aimed at each other, and try something else only after better antennas fail.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
This:

I forgot to ask,does the rubber duck antenna on the transmitter unscrew or does it have a BNC connector like the antenna on the reciever?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use the Dakota alert system. 3 sensors, 2 base units, and 2 handhelds, for use in the tractor and outbuildings. I replaced the antenna on the driveway unit sensor, and the other two around the house, I sealed the ant BNC on the top, with liquid electrical tape, for support, as that is your weak spot in the unit. I am very happy with mine, can talk to the house or the office, from anywhere on the farm, and can hear when someone enters any of the 3 zones from my handheld. I use AA rechargeable for the handhelds, and change the others batteries twice a year.
I also have the Dakota Alert system. Have 4 sensors in faraday cages with handheld radios and another that I use. Have a 4 ft antenna on each unit and it transmits through dense woods fine. Well worth the money to buy as much of these as you can! I consider them one of my most important preps outside the basics.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine work for a 1/2 mile thru dense woods with the 4ft antennas I put on them. The antennas weren't cheap but they work flawlessly. I first set it up half mile away which is where it would be needed and didn't work. THen found the antennas and did some testing and used it 6 months and then bought 4 more complete units plus the hams with murs stations programmed in as they were waterproof and more reliable the the hand helds that come with them. But great units if done right.
If someone wants the links then PM me and i'll go through the trouble to dig it all up. It wasn't easy to find and ya know how purchasing things can be. Easier if someones already done it and sned you the right direction instead of doing it twice LOL. I usually have to do it twice. Not on this one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts