Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 teenage sons to equip and I hate buying junk.

Apparently since I bought my Leatherman original made in USA, leatherman has moved to China! I don't want to give my kids chinese crap.

I was wondering about the SOG models? Pricey - but I want these to last a long time.

What about Gerber?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been studying multi tools for a few days now trying to find exactly what I wanted. For me, a saw is important. That right there eliminated quite a few models. I really like the Gerber Flik, it's small and compact, but the blades don't seem too short. The pliers just push up from inside the handle and lock in place. I'm not sure that I entirely trust that lock, but take a look and see for yourself. I like the SOG multi tools, they just get a little bit pricey. I had my eye on the Sog Powerlock, around $45 on ebay. I went to Wal Mart yesterday to handle a few and see what fir my hands best. They had the Leathermans on sale because they're moving the sporting goods section and the guys said there were a few models being discontinued (I dont know about that...). I found the Leatherman Core for $25 and the Wave for $45. Half off on both models. I opted for the Core and after playing around with it a bit, I'm really happy with it. It feels right in my hand, it isn't too small, its got some heft to it, and everything locks up quite well. I like that everything, even the screw drivers, lock into place when opened. I know you said you didn't like Leatherman...If I had to pick one though, I would say take a look at the Gerber Multi Plier 600. Some pretty cool features and not terribly pricey if you look around on Ebay. I also really like the way the Gerber Suspension feels, but the blades were a little too short for me. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Leatherman hasn't moved to china. Some of the parts come from other countries including europe, mexico, china, usa etc. They are still assembled in Portland Oregon. Personally, I like my old wave a lot better than the new ones with the saftey locks.

But that being said, the teenagers I know still wind up loosing/breaking everything. Purchased a 440c steel knife for my teenage brother in law, and he breaks the tip using it as a screwdriver. We may not like to buy junk, but teenagers don't seem to care for their "good stuff" as they should. Your kids may be different though.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
Leatherman. I don't care if you don't like them for whatever reason; they are tough as nails and have a lifetime warranty!

I still have my old Wave- I had to sharpen it once after 10 years of use and abuse, and it still works well. I got a newer, cheaper model because it had some extra tools in it that were centered more around my current occupation.

I will 2nd the opinion about teenagers caring for tools though. I got my Wave as a teenager, but I always treated my tools with care. Some teens do, and some don't. Maybe don't buy them a top-of-the-line multitool if you don't think they will appreciate it. Any of those name brands will last for at least several years, and Leathermans and SOGs can be pricey if you don't find them on sale.

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
Gerbers !!!
It really boils down too fit, feel, and function.
The leatherman hurts my hand, when cutting wire, and the Gerber does not.
Concider the schrade as well, I like it, but a bit bulky for me.

Reactions: JedLMF

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks!

and thanks for telling me the leatherman isn't chinese. I made the mistake of believing someone without checking it for myself...

·
Molon Labe!
51 Posts
I am a huge fan of Gerber I bought my first one from a PX when I was in basic training and had it through my 3 years of service. I still have it after an additional 3 years but it has become my back up as I purchased a Gerber Radius. But I really like most Gerber products because I have never had one fail or break on me, but I cannot attest to others because I haven't used any

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Friends of mine really rate Gerber multitools, compared to UK Leatherman prices they`re much cheaper and still seem very good indeed.

I had the Leatherman Juice, nice bit of kit, I gave it to my sister.

What I've done now, and is a much cheaper alternative, is to buy a few screw drivers, proper scissors, a folding saw, pliers and keep them in my EDC rucksack along with a small Swiss Army Knife. Although it's a bit heavier to carry I won't cry if one is lost or stolen.

·
This is my real name.
101 Posts
I saw the Gerber 600 multi tool and thought it looked cool so I watched this review on it. However, after watching it I fell in love with the Leatherman Charge TI. So, I got one and I love it. =]

I never really liked Gerber multitools anyways, I thought they should just stick to knives. But that's just me. Leatherman is known to take a beating.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have carried a first generation Leatherman tool everyday for 25 years. I could never start to tell you about all the things I have fixed or done with this old pocket tool. The tip of the knife blade broke about 15 years ago but other than that it has served me well. I owned a Gerber for a very short time which didn't carry well in the pocket so I gave it away and went back with the Leatherman. A tool that is easy to carry is not left at home. A pocket tool should be made to fit in your pocket not in a pouch on your side.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
Leatherman is made in the US and are high quality tools. I have one I've had for over 15 years and love it. I also have two Gerber multipliers, a needle nose and standard. Both are high quality tools. I finally broke the can opener on the standard plier tool and sent it to Gerber for repair. They sent me back my tool with a note that they no longer make that model and so cannot repair it. they also sent me a brand new model, free. That's hard to beat. I've had no need to get leatherman repaired, but I'm confident they would handle it the same way.
I like the leatherman because the needle nose pliers are the right size for drifting out pins on glocls and other guns. The Gerber's are a smidge big.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I've got a Leatherman wave that was given to me as a gift about 10 years ago. They were even thoughtful enough to have my name engraved. It has really taken a beating and held up well. It stays on me if I'm in the woods are on the water and in my truck when I'm not.
My second choice is good old Swiss army knife. Keep it with me daily because of it's smaller size. It fits discreetly in a pocket. I've had it for at least 15 years.
I find both to be great tools.

·
Know more, carry less
1,062 Posts
My vote goes to the leatherman charge ti. I used that thing every day while riding the red trucks and it served me very well indeed. Second to the leatherman I would look at SOG as I have only heard good things about them. The advantage of the sog is it can be opened one handed to access the pliers.

Paul.

·
Nope.
2,099 Posts
I collect multi-tools. From various Leathermans and Gerbers to cheap $5 convenience store junk.

My everyday carry tool is a Gerber 600 Pro Scout Needlenose. One of the reasons I go with this tool over others is the versatility in the saw blade. I immediately switched out the RemGrit blade for a bi-metal multi-purpose blade. I've even used it at work sawing on some steel.

My "dress Gerber" Is the Compact Sport Multiplier 400. This doesn't have the nifty saw blade, but it does have the scissors. This is the one I had on my belt when I got married.

I've had one classic Leatherman broken (still have it, too), and yet highly recommend them. As much as I love my Gerbers, sometimes the true classic is all you need. I also have a Wave, but I was not so impressed with it. Just a matter of taste, there. I have no complaints about the quality and most likely just don't like it so much because it's different.

Were it me buying for a couple of young men, I would get two classic Leathermans and call it good. Let them use, lose, and abuse those and figure out what each of them wants out of a multi-tool.

I betcha they still have them five years down the road (assuming they don't lose 'em).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm the same as a lot of these guys here. The Leatherman is still a viable option for you. I personally use the Fuse for day to day stuff, but you may want to look at the upper tier ones if you're going to use it for survival practice etc

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.