Survivalist Forum banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm a great believer in being realistic. I'm not trying to be "Tacti-Cool" and probably wouldn't be getting too far from the property if things got that bad. Not in shape to be charging ahead with a 25 lb vest on. Not so foolish as to believe that we could last very long if the local area became a hot battlefield.

So I have 2 setups. One is a belt clip that holds 2 spare AR mags. The other is a shoulder bag that holds 6 mags, some water, and a few other useful items for getting further from the property.

I'll take the saved money and buy a bit of food.
My vest in Iraq weighed over 50 pounds. I'm older and weaker now. I'm thinking 20 pounds is my sweet spot,

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I have long been a person who wants what I need right at hand. I don't want to have to run upstairs to my bedroom when I need a piece of kit.

I like to have rigs stored in different places to allow for true rapid response to any need. If I get the property I am looking at I am even going to get several small gun lockers to keep in different areas of the house, on different floors, and maybe even on different buildings given that there is numerous cabins and outbuildings on the property I am looking at, so that I have a kit and firearms at diverse response locations since the land is a really good size.

Reactions: ROCK6

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I believe in multiple kits or rigs/bags for different purposes, although I don't have a different vest for every one. No problem as they can be optimized quickly.

I even have extra kits to outfit my family/close allies/neighbors.
As much as I personally like and use a battle belt the most, if you're looking at outfitting more than just yourself, vests are a more universal option. Belt kits (be it a battle belt or even LBE setup with harness) require a little more range for fitment. My son can't use my belts because he's much slimmer. If you're larger than me, you won't be able to borrow one either. There are some adjustments, 4-6" is not going to address kids or smaller statured women, or guys with a prodigious on-board survival storage area.

I do have several chest rigs (similar to vests) that will adjust to fit a much large spectrum of body types. Battle belts work perfectly with me (without or without armor), but they're not good investments for hand-out kit.

ROCK6

61 - 63 of 63 Posts